PDA

View Full Version : Is there a typical length of time for a WGA rewrite?

WriterManJimbo
09-26-2013, 01:30 PM
I just got commenced on a rewrite. It's a weird situation in the company isn't really needing a new draft until January.

There's nothing in the contract that says how long. And they never asked or brought it up despite numerous meets before commencing.

Is there a standard timeframe to execute a feature rewrite? or hell, and official one in WGA guidelines?

Is there an unwritten rule?

-XL-
09-26-2013, 01:40 PM
There's nothing in the contract that says how long.

Are you sure? Because usually those terms are outlined very explicitly.

That said, you're probably looking at 8 weeks.

8bit Llama
09-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I think 8 weeks is pretty standard.

CameronAlexander
09-26-2013, 03:03 PM
What 8bit and XL said -- 8 weeks.

WriterManJimbo
09-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Are you sure? Because usually those terms are outlined very explicitly.

That said, you're probably looking at 8 weeks.

I triple checked it. Nothing. It's been in past contracts but not this one. They gave me a 'big picture' feel for when it needs to be done. But I'll be done well before then...

Ronaldinho
09-28-2013, 09:44 AM
I triple checked it. Nothing. It's been in past contracts but not this one. They gave me a 'big picture' feel for when it needs to be done. But I'll be done well before then...

It's probably good to be done well before then, but I would say this:

If you have extra time, use some of it but not all of it.

Use some of it to give yourself some perspective on the script, take one more pass at it. You'll see stuff you didn't.

But don't use all of it, because you're not going to hit everything. And if they need it, say, by Jan 15, it might be nice if they had it early enough to give you some notes on January 3 that you could execute before they needed it needed it.

Free writes and all, blah blah blah, but I generally consider "I didn't hit the target I was aiming for as well as I hoped" to be something I'll spend a week or two working on in the interest of a good working relationship.

WriterManJimbo
09-28-2013, 01:40 PM
It's probably good to be done well before then, but I would say this:

If you have extra time, use some of it but not all of it.

Use some of it to give yourself some perspective on the script, take one more pass at it. You'll see stuff you didn't.

But don't use all of it, because you're not going to hit everything. And if they need it, say, by Jan 15, it might be nice if they had it early enough to give you some notes on January 3 that you could execute before they needed it needed it.

Free writes and all, blah blah blah, but I generally consider "I didn't hit the target I was aiming for as well as I hoped" to be something I'll spend a week or two working on in the interest of a good working relationship.

All good points.