PDA

View Full Version : Similar project on prodco's development slate

grumpywriter
10-30-2013, 05:09 PM
Hi there,

Have a quick question I would love to get some advice on. I recently came up with a high-concept comedy idea that seemed so obvious to me that I immediately went on IMDBPro expecting there to be 15 movies with the same name and concept already produced and/or in development. Low and behold, there was nothing besides a few shorts with the same name but totally different concepts. There IS, however, a feature-length comedy of the same name on a major prodco's development slate. It's listed as being in active development, but there is no more info. on it than that. I have to assume it's the same concept, and assuming that, should I still bother to write my script? That is, let's say I do write it and query a major prodco, and the exec. at this company checks IMDBPro and finds what is probably the same idea in development at another major company -- would he not request it based on that?

Thanks

Silverlynx35
10-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Or does he say, "Well, if WB thinks a movie about a giant asteroid/volcano/colony of ants is going to make money, I should probably do one too."?

Ronaldinho
10-31-2013, 08:55 AM
There IS, however, a feature-length comedy of the same name on a major prodco's development slate. It's listed as being in active development, but there is no more info. on it than that. I have to assume it's the same concept, and assuming that, should I still bother to write my script?

Don't assume that the projects are similar based on a name.

Heck, I tell people not to assume projects are similar based on a logline or trailer (although there are some practical concerns about that) but based on a name? That seems like a real stretch.

grumpywriter
10-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Don't assume that the projects are similar based on a name.

Heck, I tell people not to assume projects are similar based on a logline or trailer (although there are some practical concerns about that) but based on a name? That seems like a real stretch.

I see what you're saying but it's a very specific name that has to do with a very specific and common practice in our society and it's a name that -- if it's a comedy -- can't really mean any other scenarios besides the one I've thought of, so this is one case where it's probably safe to assume :)

grumpywriter
10-31-2013, 11:12 AM
Aw screw it -- I'll just write the f-ing thing...

Ronaldinho
10-31-2013, 10:09 PM
I see what you're saying but it's a very specific name that has to do with a very specific and common practice in our society and it's a name that -- if it's a comedy -- can't really mean any other scenarios besides the one I've thought of, so this is one case where it's probably safe to assume :)

If you're connected, see if you can find someone to leak you their script.

Don't assume. Know.