PDA

View Full Version : Option advice

snowman
11-03-2013, 11:12 AM
Got a situation and would like input, an option I have with a producer is going to expire within 3 weeks unless they pay me xx$$, they have not mentioned this and have taken steps to get funding, directors etc. So, do I sit by and let it expire and then let my agent do a little updating to contract before re- signing a better one or do I remind them in plenty of time to get the check to me. Is it my responsibility to remind them? Or do I wait it out?

snowman

Richmond Weems
11-03-2013, 11:25 AM
What does your agent suggest?

snowman
11-03-2013, 11:40 AM
They think just let it go and if they don't get the money to me in time (actually 12 days) we will redo the contract. But its up to me in the long run. I seem to have a good relationship with said producer but I don't know if they will be offended if I don't remind them?

Snowman

EdFury
11-03-2013, 12:10 PM
They think just let it go and if they don't get the money to me in time (actually 12 days) we will redo the contract. But its up to me in the long run. I seem to have a good relationship with said producer but I don't know if they will be offended if I don't remind them?

Snowman

It's not your job to remind them. You can if that's what makes you feel more comfortable. But be sure of this.... If this is an important project for them, they know.

There is another way this could go. Maybe they're not renewing.

8bit Llama
11-03-2013, 04:19 PM
It's not your job to remind them. You can if that's what makes you feel more comfortable. But be sure of this.... If this is an important project for them, they know.

Yeah, it's not your job to make sure they're on top of things. It's their assistant's job, at the very least. If they want the project, they're aware of the deadline and they'll follow through and make sure to renew. I would say move on and start trying to find it a new home. Nothing wrong with shopping it around. It also might mean that they think they have a good enough relationship with you that they don't have to renew it for you to keep developing it with them.

snowman
11-03-2013, 04:23 PM
I've been burnt by getting too cozy with a producer who thinks they own your script forever. So me and my agent don't want it to happen again, so I'll see what transpires over the next two weeks and see. I like to be cooperative as I can but a contract is a contract.

Snowman

LIMAMA
11-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Let your agent earn the 10%. Let him/her handle it.

snowman
11-03-2013, 05:39 PM
But I am the one who has had all the dealings with this producer from the start and I feel like its not right to now, just tell her to deal with it. She handles the contracts stuff.

snowman

WriterManJimbo
11-03-2013, 07:52 PM
But I am the one who has had all the dealings with this producer from the start and I feel like its not right to now, just tell her to deal with it. She handles the contracts stuff.

snowman

I've been in this situation. I've sent a reminder...sometimes they just forget the exact time it expires. Better to remind them unless you want out. I wouldn't play the renegotiation game. And if they're not planning to renew better to know sooner.

snowman
11-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks Jumbo, I was thinking that they are taking it to afm so not sure if I should wait a few days or do it now, but I'm thinking I'll drop the reminder soon.

Snowman

DavidK
11-07-2013, 04:53 AM
I think you'll find that if they have a genuine interest in it they will not have overlooked the deadline or anything else. If it really matters to them, they will be doing something and won't need any reminders.

asteven50
11-12-2013, 03:16 AM
I think you'll find that if they have a genuine interest in it they will not have overlooked the deadline or anything else. If it really matters to them, they will be doing something and won't need any reminders.

Sad but true.

If you don't mind me asking, how long was the original option for? Might help give the situation some context.