PDA

View Full Version : To send or not to send...


scaggnetti
12-20-2013, 04:07 PM
I am an unrepresented writer/newby who won an award at a pretty big screenplay competition. Now I'm getting some legit read requests which is awesome. I also have developed a solid relationship with a couple of connected producers who have offered leads on getting an agent or manager. All great stuff.

So my question is, should I forgo sending the script to the requesting production companies while I'm waiting to (possibly) gain representation through my producer connections? Or does it matter? Would a prospective agent or manager care if the script has been floating around a bit?

I guess I'm afraid these agent/manager introductions won't pan out and then the companies that requested to read my script will have lost interest because I didn't get back to them right away.

Bunker
12-20-2013, 04:55 PM
Congrats! These are good problems to have.

Personally, I would send 'em all and let God sort it out.

Your apprehension is justified. Yeah, agents and managers tend to prefer scripts that haven't been around the block. And a producer is more likely to get excited about a project if it's been vetted by a respectable agent. But why worry about whether the horse is pulling the cart or the cart is pulling the horse? As long as it's moving forward, it's generally all good.

scaggnetti
12-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Congrats! These are good problems to have.

Personally, I would send 'em all and let God sort it out.

Your apprehension is justified. Yeah, agents and managers tend to prefer scripts that haven't been around the block. And a producer is more likely to get excited about a project if it's been vetted by a respectable agent. But why worry about whether the horse is pulling the cart or the cart is pulling the horse? As long as it's moving forward, it's generally all good.

Thanks Bunker. I think that's good advice. Let God sort 'em out.

I actually just got off the phone with my producer friend and he said the same thing you did. He said it would give me the best chance of finding someone that can get it made, and there's never a guarantee an agent is going to pick me up anyway. So why not get it out in the meantime. BUT he did suggest I vet the companies requesting and make sure their legit.

wrytnow
12-20-2013, 10:49 PM
So my question is, should I forgo sending the script to the requesting production companies while I'm waiting to (possibly) gain representation through my producer connections? .

Send. Open every door to which you have a key.

goldmund
12-23-2013, 04:08 AM
In my own limited experience, a chance of anything happening is so slim that such deliberations and strategies are a waste of time. Full ahead! Open fire! Total war!

DavidK
12-28-2013, 05:05 AM
Yeah, send it out. You need to add fuel to the fire, not withhold it.