PDA

View Full Version : Hallelujah!

grumpywriter
01-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Just got my first pass of 2014... which means, MY NEW YEAR IN SCREENWRITING HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUN! BRING IT ON!

bjamin
01-06-2014, 12:35 PM
knock 'em dead, grump.

stainjm
01-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Good attitude! Let's make it happen.

Anointed
01-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Grumpy, can I have a swig of what you're drinking? The pass I got today has me feeling like complete sh!t.

grumpywriter
01-06-2014, 04:29 PM
Grumpy, can I have a swig of what you're drinking? The pass I got today has me feeling like complete sh!t.

Haha... yeah think I got some of this moonshine left. Will ship you a bottle :o (sidenote: My post was also meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek...forgot to add the tongue-in-cheek smiley)

Anointed
01-06-2014, 05:12 PM
Haha... yeah think I got some of this moonshine left. Will ship you a bottle :o (sidenote: My post was also meant to be a bit tongue-in-cheek...forgot to add the tongue-in-cheek smiley)

This thread was right on time. Now I don't feel so alone...

You rock, grumps!

UpandComing
01-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Just got my first pass of 2014... which means, MY NEW YEAR IN SCREENWRITING HAS OFFICIALLY BEGUN! BRING IT ON!

Your optimism inspires us all :)

MrDealHD
01-07-2014, 09:33 PM
I'll be waiting on mine for maybe another month. At CoC...

Gssstudios
01-08-2014, 01:51 PM
I can't wait for mine. A milestone, for sure.

Keep on chugging along!

grumpywriter
01-09-2014, 09:37 AM
And I think I can safely say that I've also received my first silent pass of 2014. BOOYAH!

With the understanding that yesses, when and if they do come, are typically preceded by many many many passes, I hereby declare this our thread to celebrate passes big, small, ugly, painful, discouraging, encouraging, ambiguous, vague, weird, rude, polite, and of course...silent. Success and good news -- bring that SH$T somewhere else! This thread is for REJECTION.

(Lurkers - I know you're getting passes, too. Come join the party!)

emily blake
01-09-2014, 09:59 AM
I moved the thread here so people could have a real conversation about rejection. Otherwise we'd have to approve every post, and that's not really necessary in a thread of this kind.

grumpywriter
01-09-2014, 11:23 AM
Good idea. Thanks...

cmmora
01-09-2014, 11:27 AM
I just sent off my first query of the year. Exciting... until the SILENCE starts to flow around me...:eek:

EdFury
01-09-2014, 01:13 PM

Ah yes. The dreaded Pass. Some you expect. Some hurt like there's no tomorrow. Your attitude is a good one. The norm in screenwriting is the Pass. The exception is a Yes. But when you get a Yes.... All the others Passes seem inconsequential. Let this year be the one for a Yes for you.

grumpywriter
01-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Ah yes. The dreaded Pass. Some you expect. Some hurt like there's no tomorrow. Your attitude is a good one. The norm in screenwriting is the Pass. The exception is a Yes. But when you get a Yes.... All the others Passes seem inconsequential. Let this year be the one for a Yes for you.

For sure. Thanks, Bob!

And on that note -- I just confirmed a pass from an A-list, Academy Award-winning actor :)

Already on to three passes for the year. Way ahead of you guys!

If anyone else has any passes to they want to commemorate/celebrate, this is your home...

scripto80
01-10-2014, 04:06 PM

:D

dlm
01-10-2014, 11:34 PM
(Lurkers - I know you're getting passes, too. Come join the party!)

:)

I received my first Pass of 2014 five days ago.

Also, my December query campaign was very interesting. From "unsolicited material", "not now" to "check back in the spring" or... "Feature biz is dead." :cool: I got 18 of these. Well, better than no answer at all.

Wish you all a successful 2014!

grumpywriter
01-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Nice! I was actually referring more to the arguably more painful types of passes -- from people who have read the script already as opposed to passes on reading the script altogether, but yeah -- those are pretty common as well and usually come en masse before a "yes I'd love to read this." Think you've got me beat for December. That was a pretty slow month for me, pass-wise. :)

scripto80
01-13-2014, 12:52 PM
For me personally, oddly enough the most painful ones are the softer ones. i.e. When a potential manager or agent replies with praise and has absolutely nothing bad to say but ultimately -- it's a pass.

Ex: "This was a fun read. I really enjoyed it. It was very well-written. You've obviously got talent. Unfortunately, it's not for me."

It's like damn, it'd been more helpful to say it stunk or needed a lot of work, lol. I got another one like this recently from a producer. He literally went on about how good it was for an entire paragraph. I was thinking "Holy crap, he's gonna option this thing." and then at the very, very end he says "But given everything else I'm working on at the moment, I just don't see how I could add value to this script."

After that I pretty much felt like:

http://www.1000funfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Dangerous-Hobby-01-520x347.jpg

grumpywriter
01-13-2014, 04:27 PM
For me personally, oddly enough the most painful ones are the softer ones. i.e. When a potential manager or agent replies with praise and has absolutely nothing bad to say but ultimately -- it's a pass.

Ex: "This was a fun read. I really enjoyed it. It was very well-written. You've obviously got talent. Unfortunately, it's not for me."

It's like damn, it'd been more helpful to say it stunk or needed a lot of work, lol. I got another one like this recently from a producer. He literally went on about how good it was for an entire paragraph. I was thinking "Holy crap, he's gonna option this thing." and then at the very, very end he says "But given everything else I'm working on at the moment, I just don't see how I could add value to this script."

After that I pretty much felt like:

http://www.1000funfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Dangerous-Hobby-01-520x347.jpg

Haha...yeah that's a rough one, for sure. I once had a producer get back to me with the following:

"Mark --

We loved this! Going to check with my partner on the feasibility of shooting in San Francisco. Will get back to you soon."

And that was it. Never heard from him again. Definitely the nicest pass I've ever received.

scripto80
01-14-2014, 09:57 AM
Haha...yeah that's a rough one, for sure. I once had a producer get back to me with the following:

"Mark --

We loved this! Going to check with my partner on the feasibility of shooting in San Francisco. Will get back to you soon."

And that was it. Never heard from him again. Definitely the nicest pass I've ever received.

That's hilarious because I had someone that I actually consider somewhat of a friend basically do the exact same thing to me. He's a director and DP and has worked on many huge blockbusters. He loved an action spec of mine and said flat out that he wants to option it, he has investor friends who love the concept, and he was going to speak to his producing partner about moving forward.

I never heard back from him on this project. And when I'd check in, he'd have nothing to say and always just change the subject or focus on whatever else I'd brought up. After asking a couple times about it to no avail, I just decided to let it go and do the thing we're so good at in Hollywood -- pretending it just never happened.

So apparently, "talk to my partner" means "disappear into the vortex" in this town, lol.

LMPurves
01-14-2014, 11:06 AM
As a producer, I just gave two scripts a pass, does that count?

'Course, the two scripts I said no to pursuing are my own. I just rejected myself!

EdFury
01-14-2014, 01:31 PM
As a producer, I just gave two scripts a pass, does that count?

'Course, the two scripts I said no to pursuing are my own. I just rejected myself!

You get double secret credit for doing that.

Bunker
01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
January is always a tough month! On 1/1, it's like everyone hits the "reset" button and clears out all the projects they were working on the previous year.

I've had Novembers and December that were: "Momentum… momentum… momentum-momentum-momentum!… Hiatus… Silence."

cmmora
01-14-2014, 04:56 PM
So apparently, "talk to my partner" means "disappear into the vortex" in this town, lol.

Been there.

My very first script got interest from a Hollywood producer. This was many years ago, and many scripts ago. I had spent two years writing this sucker, and one of the very few people who read it wanted to film it. The producer was so excited. He was already talking about the rewrite, me doing it, to flesh out a few weak points. He wanted to meet to discuss particulars and the deal. I flew down to L.A. from S.F. and met him in his office. He said he already had a director on board. I was stoked. I was thinking that this business was easy. What was everyone talking about when they said that the business would chew me up.

So, back to the meeting... We talked about the director and how the producer saw my horror script more like a love story with horror elements. I said, okay, sounds good.

Just before we were to talk about money, his "partner" walked in. The producer introduced us and told his partner that my script would be their next project. His partner gave him a look that could melt ice, if not strike a man dead on the spot.

My producer picked up on this and asked, "have you read his script yet?". The partner shaked his head no, and SMILED at me and said that he would get to it in the next few days. That thanks for coming in and they would be in touch. My producer's breath became shallow, he looked shocked.

With that I was dismissed from the principal's office never to hear from them again. I tried calling and emails, but never a response. Later on I heard that my producer had left that company.

But on the bright spot, many... and I say many years later, as in last year, I finally sold my first spec script, the same one from "the incident", to a producer. My first spec sale.

So, no this business is not easy or kind... I have the plane stubs to prove it.

And still I love it. I am a fool or an optimist. I still can't decide.

scripto80
01-14-2014, 05:38 PM
cmmora... ouch. :/

Mark Twain Weck
01-15-2014, 04:32 AM
scripto80 and ccmora, and others

The lesson to be learned is....

Avoid producers with "Partners".

grumpywriter
01-15-2014, 09:32 AM
Been there.

My very first script got interest from a Hollywood producer. This was many years ago, and many scripts ago. I had spent two years writing this sucker, and one of the very few people who read it wanted to film it. The producer was so excited. He was already talking about the rewrite, me doing it, to flesh out a few weak points. He wanted to meet to discuss particulars and the deal. I flew down to L.A. from S.F. and met him in his office. He said he already had a director on board. I was stoked. I was thinking that this business was easy. What was everyone talking about when they said that the business would chew me up.

So, back to the meeting... We talked about the director and how the producer saw my horror script more like a love story with horror elements. I said, okay, sounds good.

Just before we were to talk about money, his "partner" walked in. The producer introduced us and told his partner that my script would be their next project. His partner gave him a look that could melt ice, if not strike a man dead on the spot.

My producer picked up on this and asked, "have you read his script yet?". The partner shaked his head no, and SMILED at me and said that he would get to it in the next few days. That thanks for coming in and they would be in touch. My producer's breath became shallow, he looked shocked.

With that I was dismissed from the principal's office never to hear from them again. I tried calling and emails, but never a response. Later on I heard that my producer had left that company.

But on the bright spot, many... and I say many years later, as in last year, I finally sold my first spec script, the same one from "the incident", to a producer. My first spec sale.

So, no this business is not easy or kind... I have the plane stubs to prove it.

And still I love it. I am a fool or an optimist. I still can't decide.

You broke the rules. I said no success stories allowed on this thread. ;)

cmmora
01-15-2014, 09:47 AM
You broke the rules. I said no success stories allowed on this thread. ;)

;) My bad.

dlm
01-16-2014, 06:18 AM
Grumpy, the Pass I mentioned (the first of 2014) was the result of a read request from September.

I had read requests in December, too, but no answer so far... Although I can safely assume they're all Passes. :) Meanwhile -- writing the next script.

scripto80
01-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Good one today...

Sent out a pilot query to some TV lit agents. Got a response from one of the Top 3, got excited at the chain -- where the agent forwarded my email to her assistant asking him to please handle it. Lo and behold, how did he then respond to me? With the whole "unsolicited" disclaimer speech.

I dunno why she didn't just ignore/delete my query, or paste the disclaimer herself, or forward to legal like CAA does. Instead, she took the time to read my email and forward it to her assistant (so I thought I might be about to get a read) -- only have him respond with the disclaimer stuff.

This town, man.

:p

grumpywriter
01-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Good one today...

Sent out a pilot query to some TV lit agents. Got a response from one of the Top 3, got excited at the chain -- where the agent forwarded my email to her assistant asking him to please handle it. Lo and behold, how did he then respond to me? With the whole "unsolicited" disclaimer speech.

I dunno why she didn't just ignore/delete my query, or paste the disclaimer herself, or forward to legal like CAA does. Instead, she took the time to read my email and forward it to her assistant (so I thought I might be about to get a read) -- only have him respond with the disclaimer stuff.

This town, man.

haha... LOVE IT! Thanks for sharing. That was definitely a good one.

I actually just received a very nice pass on a short script:

Hi Mark

Thanks very much for letting me read it. We enjoyed it, and is a great idea. Unfortunately, due to the special effects you specify we probably couldn't produce it right now, and we'd probably need to alter it for an English audience as well. Doubt you'd want that!

Thanks very much though, and all the best with it.

Kind regards,

bjamin
02-13-2014, 05:54 PM
just got my first response for the year:

Hey Ben,

Thanks for the note. Sounds like fun -- but don't think this one is quite for me. Best of luck with it!

Warmest regards...his name

He called my query letter a note. :eek: whatever. It was nice of him to respond.

asteven50
02-14-2014, 05:43 AM
Good one today...

This town, man.

This is pretty crazy. Sounds like the agent hit reply all and looped the assistant in instead of forwarding it, so what you thought was a good sign was just them forwarding it to their legal department. That's one for the books, sorry!

bjamin
02-14-2014, 09:42 AM
2014 response #2:

Sorry, I don’t accept unsolicited e-mail queries.

Susanlbridges
02-17-2014, 08:16 PM
I generally get nice passes. The worst nice one was when Benderspink asked for my script on a Thursday or Friday, and then sent me the e-mail passing on it on Sunday. o_O I would have liked to be excited for a few more days, you know?