PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette

JeffLowell
06-23-2014, 06:04 PM
Hey, all. I just had a situation where someone from here wildly overstepped their boundaries and used my name to get access to someone else without my knowledge or permission.

I'm going to take some time away from donedealpro, but just one last passing piece of unsolicited advice: if a professional responds to your posts, it doesn't mean you're friends. Acting like that not only insures that the person won't help you, but it screws it up for everyone else.

Best of luck, all! Watch Manhattan Love Story on ABC this fall. ;)

J

JoeBanks
06-23-2014, 06:35 PM
this is why we can't have nice things

(good luck with the new show)

Centurio
06-23-2014, 07:33 PM
this is why we can't have nice things

(good luck with the new show)

Says the guy that overstepped the boundaries. :)

madworld
06-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Good luck Jeff. Sorry to hear about this, your advice does not go unappreciated.

nativeson
06-23-2014, 08:26 PM
Who pee'd in the pool?

Richmond Weems
06-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Well, that sucks.

NoirDigits
06-23-2014, 08:43 PM
Jeff is an incredibly kind and generous dude. **** whoever did whatever they did.

CrissCross
06-23-2014, 09:43 PM
"Who goofed, I've got to know."

bjamin
06-23-2014, 09:54 PM
Hey, all. I just had a situation where someone from here wildly overstepped their boundaries and used my name to get access to someone else without my knowledge or permission.

I'm going to take some time away from donedealpro, but just one last passing piece of unsolicited advice: if a professional responds to your posts, it doesn't mean you're friends. Acting like that not only insures that the person won't help you, but it screws it up for everyone else.

Best of luck, all! Watch Manhattan Love Story on ABC this fall. ;)

J

bummer, dude.

FoxHound
06-23-2014, 11:00 PM
I can't fuc*in' believe this... Jeff can't distingusish between insure and ensure.

EdFury
06-23-2014, 11:18 PM
When people do things like this, it bites them in the ass 100% of the time. It never works and it drives people like Jeff away from forums like this where his experience and advice are invaluable. Sorry that happened, Jeff.

And yes, I will watch the show.

TheConnorNoden
06-24-2014, 05:49 AM
Somebody **** the bed.

If it means my emails get answered though I've been best friends with Lowell for years. Legit.

Best of luck with the new show. Leaving the site behind is probably a good call.

sc111
06-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Wow. That sucks. Putting it under the title of etiquette is too nice on your part, Jeff. It's an outright lie about a professional reference. References are usually checked.

Will watch in the Fall.

emily blake
06-24-2014, 09:59 AM
Yuk.

I don't care how desperate you get. That not only does not work, but it means that now Jeff will not have anything to do with you again.

Thanks for all your help, Jeff. Sorry about the douchebag.

Anointed
06-24-2014, 11:24 AM
How sleazy. Hopefully the person you didn't refer them to ripped him/her a new one. Best of luck with the show.

odocoileus
06-24-2014, 04:11 PM
So now I have to call everybody and tell them I don't know you?! Thanks alot, buddy. :mad:

finalact4
06-24-2014, 04:16 PM
Sorry to see you go. Good luck with the show.
FA4

LIMAMA
06-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Very uncool. The person who overstepped probably did so figuring you'd never find out. Now they know otherwise. I'm a nobody, but when I was repped, my ex-agent told me that she got queries from people who claimed to be my best friend.

LateNightWriter
06-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Well that sucks! One rotten egg and all that. Jeff, you will be missed. Good luck with the show, and hope you find your way back here soon!

Late Night Writer

Rantanplan
06-24-2014, 11:29 PM
People suck. Come back and visit anytime!

Anagram
06-25-2014, 05:46 AM
What sucks is the rest of us are affected by that persons douchiness.

Sorry to hear this happened Jeff. I'll also be watching the new show.

grumpywriter
06-25-2014, 09:03 AM
Bummer.... come back soon, Jeff. Can't wait to see the show!

Juno Styles
06-25-2014, 09:06 AM
I'd be willing to bet this wasn't the first time either.

carcar
06-25-2014, 10:51 AM
Rather see whoever it was get booted than Jeff leave. G*dammit.

This happened with Chris Lockhart, too, didn't it?

Anyway, Jeff's got a show to run, so he's got better things to do right now. Hope he does come back one day. Good luck with the show, Jeff.

TigerFang
06-25-2014, 09:42 PM
Fair winds and following seas, Jeff Lowell. :(

Why One
06-26-2014, 07:17 PM
He'll be back...

They always come back...

Am I correct to believe the culprit has had his/her account disabled and banned on DDP?

bjamin
06-26-2014, 07:23 PM
if that is so then that's some swift justice.

Ven
06-26-2014, 08:06 PM
Am I correct to believe the culprit has had his/her account disabled and banned on DDP?

No idea but IP ban would seem fair to me.

Ire
06-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Maybe the DDP terms of service ought to include some kind of warning etc. I know it's impossble to prevent douchebaggery of this level and there's no panacea except punishing them after the fact. But behavior like that is BULLSH! T! Hopefully it bites them in the ass sooner than later.

Ven
06-27-2014, 02:56 PM
I found someone's name who got nuked. Will not speculate but I wonder if there's any correlation. Pretty scummy.

karmapol1ce
06-27-2014, 03:42 PM
never understood this.

do people not know that by name-dropping they're going to be outed?

Rhodi
06-27-2014, 07:02 PM
This really sucks. Sorry to see you go, Jeff.

Ronaldinho
06-27-2014, 07:22 PM
never understood this.

do people not know that by name-dropping they're going to be outed?

I suspect it's delusions of grandeur.

It's the amateur thinking of: "My stuff is great, but I have no connections. It doesn't matter what I have to do to get the door open, because once they read my script, they're realize I'm a genius and they won't care once the lie comes to light."

dave22
06-28-2014, 02:34 AM
I don't understand why people think they can get away with this. If the name you're dropping gets you in a door, that usually means the person holding that door has a direct line to that name. All it takes is one email. One email and you're done.

I had an A-List Director tell me he would recommend me to anybody in town who needed it. He told me directly that it was okay and I was still scared as hell to use it. The last thing I need is him thinking I was indiscriminately throwing that around all over town. I decided to wait until the exact perfect moment and actually called that in this week (fingers crossed). I did that by going back to the director and asking if he would still be willing to make the contact, not by name dropping and telling my contact to call the director whenever he wanted to.

Name dropping is one of the trickiest things you can do. Make sure you are on really firm footing and then double check it.

Richmond Weems
06-28-2014, 06:25 AM
I say let the guessing who it was and the public shaming begin!

CColoredClown
06-28-2014, 10:32 AM

This! When do we get to this!?!?!

WaitForIt
06-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Rather see whoever it was get booted than Jeff leave. G*dammit.

This happened with Chris Lockhart, too, didn't it?

Anyway, Jeff's got a show to run, so he's got better things to do right now. Hope he does come back one day. Good luck with the show, Jeff.

I recall something similar happening with ... I think ScriptMechanic, one of them. I don't remember if he posted about it here or elsewhere.

After the fact, whichever one of them it was said something along the lines of: Hollywood is an incredibly small town in practice and people ARE going to check your name-dropping.

FoxHound
06-29-2014, 12:41 AM

If the punishment is secretly being banned, no harm whatsoever, it's not much of deterrent. Release the name DD PRO!

Richmond Weems
06-29-2014, 06:36 AM
In all seriousness, I don't see the point of naming anyone.

It was a mistake. I have no idea if it was malicious or not (though I'm guessing not), but I think if Lowell wanted to publicly name that person, he would have.

It seems Lowell's excusing himself from the forums as a way of protection, meaning he doesn't have to worry about someone taking agreement or small talk as a sign of being best buds, and something like this happening again.

It's a shame that pros have to do this, but it's understandable.

Eric Boellner
06-30-2014, 11:06 AM
In all seriousness, I don't see the point of naming anyone.

It was a mistake. I have no idea if it was malicious or not (though I'm guessing not), but I think if Lowell wanted to publicly name that person, he would have.

It seems Lowell's excusing himself from the forums as a way of protection, meaning he doesn't have to worry about someone taking agreement or small talk as a sign of being best buds, and something like this happening again.

It's a shame that pros have to do this, but it's understandable.

This. A witch hunt isn't going to help anyone. It's not that hard to figure it out with a quick perusal of recent threads, anyway. I actually noticed the person was banned before I noticed this thread.

Sucks that this happened. Mostly for Jeff because it's his name being taken advantage of, but also for this forum because it gives the pros even less of a reason to come here. I DO think this thread should be made a sticky, and hopefully a lesson can be learned without a public shaming.

sc111
06-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Agree. The clues are there as to who is the culprit. Why bother with a public flogging.

hacque
06-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the wisdom and experience you freely shared here. Amongst other things, I learned something by reading all of those Advanced Pages discussions. Best wishes for future!

Jon Jay
06-30-2014, 03:19 PM
I *may* have slipped Jeff's name into a conversation with a girl in a bar. In my defence, she was strikingly pretty.

Why One
06-30-2014, 04:34 PM
For crying out loud the recently nuked account is Dr Vergerus

Let's not tip-toe around the fact with all the "wink-wink" posts.

The culprit? Who knows. Regardless, the name is just a DD handle and anonymous to those who don't know him/her personally. Those that do will probably already know the full story why his/her account got nuked. They can make their own judgement.

bjamin
06-30-2014, 04:41 PM
bummer, dude.

yup.

Eric Boellner
06-30-2014, 05:02 PM
For crying out loud the recently nuked account is [REDACTED by Eric B.]

Let's not tip-toe around the fact with all the "wink-wink" posts.

The culprit? Who knows. Regardless, the name is just a DD handle and anonymous to those who don't know him/her personally. Those that do will probably already know the full story why his/her account got nuked. They can make their own judgement.

I don't think anyone was trying to be coy about it. It's simply a matter of discretion. If people were really that gossip-starved that they NEED to know who it was, they can find out on their own, and thus keep it behind closed doors. Just because it's a forum handle, and not someone's real name, doesn't mean there's not a tactful way of handling it. The way I see it, this matter is strictly between Jeff, the aforementioned DDP member, and the administrators of this board. I think if Jeff or DDP had wanted to name names, they certainly had the opportunity to do so, so maybe the hint should be taken and names left out of it?

emily blake
06-30-2014, 05:15 PM
I don't know about the other mods or Will, but I have no idea who the offender was. Dr. Vergerus was NOT forcibly removed.

You'll just have to go on not knowing. Jeff and the offending party know, and that's what matters. The rest of us can take a lesson from it.

Why One
06-30-2014, 05:22 PM
I don't think anyone was trying to be coy about it. It's simply a matter of discretion. If people were really that gossip-starved that they NEED to know who it was, they can find out on their own, and thus keep it behind closed doors. Just because it's a forum handle, and not someone's real name, doesn't mean there's not a tactful way of handling it. The way I see it, this matter is strictly between Jeff, the aforementioned DDP member, and the administrators of this board. I think if Jeff or DDP had wanted to name names, they certainly had the opportunity to do so, so maybe the hint should be taken and names left out of it?

Valid and great points.

Ire
06-30-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't know about the other mods or Will, but I have no idea who the offender was. Dr. Vergerus was NOT forcibly removed.

That Dr. V left is a bummer of a different kind. To be honest, I thought it couldn't be him.

Richmond Weems
07-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Jeff and the offending party know, and that's what matters.

I'm still hoping it was me. 'Cause that would mean that I know someone of importance who knows who the fvck Jeff Lowell is.

DavidK
07-05-2014, 02:09 AM
This doesn't need to become a long thread and it will not benefit from speculation. It's unfortunate Jeff needs to take some time out due to the irresponsible and unprofessional behavior of a Done Deal member. However, it's not the first time it's happened and it probably won't be the last. Let's just hope that most people learn something from this, and that it's not too long before Jeff returns and users can again benefit from his experience and wisdom.