PDA

View Full Version : Venice Arts gone?

robertpr007
05-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Just got a boilerplate email from Lisa James who is apparently fed up and tired of the script service business. She's out, if anyone was planning on using the service.

I tried it a year ago and the results were fine, with five requests to read my SP. The fact that they didn't bite was obviously my script and not her fault.

WinterMuse
05-09-2003, 07:55 AM
Nooooooooo! I was going to use them next month!

Goddamnit. Are there any good alternatives?

GothamWriter
05-09-2003, 08:02 AM
And I was about to use them in a just a few days.

This is surprising.

Pandoraisme
05-09-2003, 11:58 AM
Apparently some idiot has publicly accused her of sending e-mails with a virus, though he's openly called for spec submissions on other websites.

There's one in every crowd. Too bad, Lisa was both genuine and reasonable.

Pandoraisme

adm612
05-09-2003, 12:51 PM
I used Lisa's service and found her great... have to say I'm surprised and disappointed that she would give it all up because of one person's silly virus claims.

Although she said in her email that dwindling script requests might have contributed as well.

WinterMuse
05-09-2003, 02:14 PM
Could someone put the text of the email here?

E J Pennypacker
05-09-2003, 02:17 PM
No. The email said that it wasn't emails sent from Venice that had virus's on them, but that she had them sent to her email account. The guy went out his way to mention that.

I personally have mixed feelings about this. Is the email real? Do people have her own person email that corolates to the one sent out with the "oh, im leaving this sh1t behind..." To me, it could be a joke.

Also...

The guy's email wasnt that bad. In fact, I was surprised just how timid the message was. After all, the way the woman hyped it up to me, I thought it was going to be only second to the recent slamming of Writepro!

If this is what it takes to boot out someone from this line of work, a carefully placed single email about virus's and slander, then perhaps we are all better off for it.

My two cents,

EJ

E J Pennypacker
05-09-2003, 02:21 PM
Dear Former and Current Query Order Clients,

I am sorry if you received the following message from Mr. Skip Adams of Global
Graffiti:

"We are being bombarded by unsolicited script queries via email, yet have no
idea how the senders acquired our address. We suspect that some script query
service has purloined our address and is representing that they are connected
with us somehow. To add insult to injury, many of these emails contain virus
attachments (yours did not). Could you please tell us who might have given you
our address? Or how you otherwise came by it? Thank you."

Several months ago Mr. Adams posted a notice on another screenwriting website
requesting spec scripts - and has somehow forgotten about it. Apparently this
week he decided to focus all his negative energies on tracking me down so that
he could send me a rude and threatening email. I will not even address his
ignorance in how viruses are spread.

My motivation in starting the Query Submission Service was to bring together
screenwriters with producers looking for material. I am dismayed to find that
it has fueled this kind of vehemence in someone. His aggression has made me
really think about whether this service is worth continuing. Throw in the fact
that response rates (to queries) have been very low over the past few months,
and I've reached the conclusion that it is indeed time for me to leave this
field and move on to other creative pursuits.

Good luck, and thank you for you past business. I'm sorry this letter is not
personalized, because I have enjoyed working with each and every one of you.

Lisa James

---

EJ

adm612
05-09-2003, 09:19 PM
I don't mean to sound like I'm kicking Lisa when she's down, but I have to totally agree with EJ in being surprised at how mild the virus complaint by this guy was... at least in the email we all rec'd.

She uses words like "rude", "threatening", "vehement," and "aggressive"... yet I don't see any example in the bit she quoted from the guy. Plus, he sent A rude and threatening email. Just one? And she gave up the whole business??

I had been planning on using the Venice e-query service again soon as well.... but I went to the site today and find no mention of the service anymore. It seems redesigned from when I last used it a year or so ago, so I suppose I could be looking in the wrong spot.

This whole thing just seems odd.

E J Pennypacker
05-10-2003, 04:59 AM
Maybe in an attempt to further her career, she "bought" emails of execs illegally, and then "sent" them stuff via Venice to get more sales/options.

Maybe she got caught out and is now on the run, in fear of a legal suit.

It doesn't add up. Unless she's not posting ALL of the email. But yes, as it stands, this is a meek email that asks some questions need asking, not one that warrants a closing down of a company.

EJ

JoanEasley
05-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Scriptblaster us still in business, doing a good job.

Pandoraisme
05-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Okay... I apologize for calling the guy an idiot.

Pandoraisme

MR BELMARSH
05-12-2003, 12:17 PM
E J, "Maybe" is not a good enough reason to post such a message. You're making her into this criminal and yet you know nothing about what really happened. She is a nice lady, work hard, return all the e-mails we send to her. I think it's really mean and rude what you posted.

This quote...

"Apparently this week he decided to focus all his negative energies on tracking me down so that he could send me a rude and threatening email."

...doesn't mean that the guy only sent her one e-mail. Read it again.

I've used her service before and have had great responses. I've e-mailed to talk to her about my concerns and she always got back to me. I'll miss her.

E J Pennypacker
05-13-2003, 03:33 AM
MR BELMARSH --

When someone writers: "a rude and threatening email...". That to me implies that ONLY ONE email was written. Now if she had written: "a rude and threatening emails...", then yeah, I'd stand next to you and agree.

My post may be rude and offensive to some. But Im only posting what most people are thinking.

'Sides, aren't you curious as to why she just blew her top?

EJ

SoYouWanna
05-14-2003, 08:08 PM
Writers,

Our E-Query service, the Script Express, currently submits to over 1,400 industry contacts.

You can read more about the Script Express and our other services at www.sellascript.com (http://www.sellascript.com)

Most writers have experienced phenomenal results using our e-query services (of course this is based on the material being submitted).

Best regards,

So You Wanna Sell A Script

E J Pennypacker
05-15-2003, 05:02 AM
SoYouWanna --

Can you shed some light on the disapearnce of Venice Arts please? You must have some "inside" info. Do tell all...

EJ

SoYouWanna
05-15-2003, 03:31 PM
EJ,

No inside information here.

We were as surprised as anyone that they stopped providing an e-query service.

So You Wanna
www.sellascript.com (http://www.sellascript.com)

ybanon
05-25-2003, 07:44 PM
I have a theory for why such a seemingly mild complaint would close down Lisa's service-- she worked too much for what she charged and it didn't take very much to push her over the edge.

I used her service a couple of times (I was very satisfied with it). Others may get a different calculation, but the work she did for me couldn't have generated more than $15/hour for the time she spent on my queries. This doesn't include any time for creating and maintaining her database or promoting the service.

I am sorry she quit but I don't blame her.