PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Works 2000 users?

Dean
04-01-2003, 08:15 AM
Does anyone here have it on their computer? I've tried using templates written for Microsoft Word, but the Works word processor won't open them. I've spent the entire weekend trying to find templates that would work with Works, with no success. Money is very tight, and I can't afford formatting software like MM or Final Draft. Any help would be appreciated.

ExtHollywoodDay
04-01-2003, 09:53 AM
This is meant in the best possible way-

But back when I used to do Tech Support the saying was "Any program named Works- DOESN'T"

But you should be able to set your own styles. I won't pretend to know how. but you should just set one Action style with wide margins and a tab at the far right for your occasional CUT TO:s, then a Dialogue style with the slim margins and one tab which centers to where the Character name belongs.

Deus Ex Machine
04-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Templates written for Word will not function on Works.

You can create your own template on it which is fairly easy to do, or you can try downloading a free stand alone program. Check the links in my link secetion for software at www.thewriterslist.org (http://www.thewriterslist.org)

diehardatthegetty
04-01-2003, 01:16 PM
You might want to try this:

office.microsoft.com/down...2krtf.aspx (http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/wp2krtf.aspx)

It can convert/save a word document as a Works 2000 document. Hopefully it will work for templates.

You could also try finding someone with the latest version of Word, have them open up the template and Save As a Works 2000 file - should be a pull-down under "file Type".

in general, there are a lot of converters that you can download at the microsoft support site. Between having Works and having a Friend who has Word, I think you should be able to get something workable.

Please let me know how it goes.

good luck.

Dean
04-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I have tried using converters for Works, but haven't still haven't been able to open them. I have discovered a free program called RoughDraft, but I haven't used it yet.

I have thought about creating my own templates, but if I'm having this much trouble just opening a word template, I don't trust my ability to create a functional template. I'll give it a try, though, and I'll try everyone's suggestions.

Thanks again.

ExtHollywoodDay
05-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Are you trying to open the word template in word or in works?

Dean
05-02-2003, 10:29 AM
I was trying to open any of the templates I found in Works, with no luck. I just gave up, and took advantage of the Sophocles discount offer.

Thanks for trying to help, Ext.

taurbabe
05-02-2003, 11:24 AM
What IS the Sophocles discount offer?.......... Is it a good one? Since I upgraded to Windows 2000 none of my previously d/l screenwriting software will work. I'm thinking about just going ahead and footing the bill for a real software program, but I can't afford too much.

Dean
05-02-2003, 01:40 PM
The discount is 50% off. There's a link posted here in Services & Software.

taurbabe
05-04-2003, 03:47 AM
Dean.... what other programs have you used? and why didn't they work for you? I've found that Scriptmaker is not very user friendly, is this the way it has been for you? I like to keep things simple, such as.... tree good, fire bad. http://rilngard.com/forum/emoticons/bg.gif Anyone know of anything this simple?

ComicBent
05-04-2003, 09:22 AM
Taurbabe,

You need to download the trial versions of Sophocles, Final Draft, and Movie Magic 2000. Try them out.

Sophocles would probably be the cheapest, but I do not know this for sure.

I have used all three. I cannot say that any one of them is "easier" than the others.

Dean
05-04-2003, 02:28 PM
Taurbabe, I haven't used much in the way of software. ScriptMaker seemed good, but you're right, it's not user friendly at all. Rough Draft worked okay, but there seemed to be a problem exporting rtf files. Opening these in the Final Draft demo gave me all kinds of formatting errors. That's why I decided to finally go with something like Sophocles. If I could've afforded it, I would have went with Final Draft, or MM, but Sophocles will do for now.