PDA

View Full Version : Examples for Screenplay Outliner

KitchonaSteve
04-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Hi All,

I'm preparing a new version of Screenplay Outliner, and have decided to add a couple example stories (Casablanca is the only one currently), and would like some input regarding what films people would like to see as example outlines.

I want to do at least a comedy, and an action film, but if you have something you feel strongly about please let me know. Feel free to respond either here or on the Outliner support message boards (http://screenplayoutliner.com/support/viewthread.php?tid=2).

Deus Ex Machine
04-27-2003, 10:56 AM
Steve, I think it's a good idea to do quintessential genre examples. I understand why you would use Casablanca becaus eit is so famous, but I wonder if you would be better off using famous films that are quintessential examples of genres in your expansion.

Body Heat
Double Indemnity
Scream
Speed
Die Hard
Raiders
Sleepless in Seattle
Moonstruck
Some like it Hot
The Apartment
Bringin Up Baby
Tootsie
The Sixth Sense
Basic Instinct
DOA
The Big Sleep
Maltese Falcon
Pulp Fiction
Rashamon
Jaws
ET

UserName
04-27-2003, 10:58 AM
Suggestions...

Comedy -- There's Something About Mary or American Pie
Supernatural -- Sixth Sense
Martial Arts/Action -- Kiss of the Dragon or a James Bond flick

Bill Marquardt
04-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Chinatown has always received high marks as a well-written screenplay.

Deus Ex Machine
04-28-2003, 11:44 AM
Chinatown, doh! Why didn't I suggest that. You have to use Chinatown. If you are looking for another movie that is nearly perfectly written, IMHO, and a great example for an outliner which tends to focus on structure, Back To The Future is a great script to learn from.

KitchonaSteve
04-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Great suggestions. Thanks!