Anybody have a success story from a follow-up email?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have a success story from a follow-up email?

Hey all,

I'm waiting on responses from four managers who have requested a script, two of them approaching a month. I'm going to do follow-up emails soon, and was just wondering if anybody has actually had any success getting signed after having to wait and send follow-up emails?

Re: Anybody have a success story from a follow-up email?

Originally posted by MattyLock View Post
    Hey all,

I'm waiting on responses from four managers who have requested a script, two of them approaching a month. I'm going to do follow-up emails soon, and was just wondering if anybody has actually had any success getting signed after having to wait and send follow-up emails?

Pseudo-success story. I always follow-up after an appropriate amount of time. Back when I queried, I followed up with a major management company and they let me know that somehow my script had been lost/deleted...I re-sent it (this was with the assistant). The next week, the manager wanted to speak to me on the phone. We chatted, and he offered to rep me. I ended up signing with another company, but the option was there because of a follow-up. Never hurts.

Comment

Not exactly "success," but the manager to whom I'd sent my script left the company, so I emailed another rep asking if they knew what happened with my script. This person responded very curtly that I should already know it had gotten a pass from the reader. I responded with an apology for wasting their time, but that I had never gotten that response, and thanked her for responding to me.

She came back kind of contrite and invited me to submit my next script to her.

But then I got repped, so I never did.
      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

I signed with my manager after several follow-up e-mails, as well as a phone call. It's worth being direct and borderline aggressive, as long as you're friendly and professional about it. Also, keep your communications concise. Most people will read three one-paragraph e-mails from the same person over a single three paragraph e-mail from another.
        QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

i find people expect the follow-ups, and don't mind...

Comment

Not sure if I'd call this a success story but it's salient to your question --

I once followed up with a very established manager/producer and he told me he'd passed on my script and told me very briefly why. I responded, saying I understood, and that perhaps more xyz,etc... was needed. We got into an email dialogue, and then the he asked me to call him and discuss it by phone. What ensued was a series of phone calls as in which we discussed the script and the direction to take in developing the concept. I wrote a few treatments for him before diving into the next draft. In the end, we didn't share the same vision of what should be done and it led to nothing, but, just goes to show... ALWAYS follow up... Yes -- mostly likely you'll get no response or a polite dismissal, but you never know.

Comment

So i have to call, huh?
              www.JustinSloanAuthor.com

http://www.CreativeWritingCareer.com
              http://www.MilitaryVeteransinCreativeCareers.com

Twitter: @JustinMSloan

Want a free book?

Comment

No I wouldn't call. Email. The only reason I called this particular manager/producer is because he asked me to call him.

Comment

Just curious, but is it more often the case a manager will not respond to an email query if the logline doesn't grab them as opposed to any kind of a "not for me" type reply?

Thanks
                  @MacBullitt

Comment

No response is more likely, but some do give you a quick "not for me" or a specific why. I know michaelb tries to respond to every query. But even the most well-intentioned rep can't get back to everyone.

Comment

My experience has been the same as ATB's.

When I was querying, I probably received:

10% - Read requests
                      5% - "Not for me"
                      10% - "We don't accept unsolicited material." (But most of them do if they dig the logline)
                      75% - No response.
                      QUESTICLES -- It's about balls on a mission.

Comment

Sometimes you get weird responses. Back when I queried there was one manager (who's name I won't say) that got super defensive. He was all "How did you get this e-mail address?". I replied, quite politely, that I saw he repped a writer on the blacklist who had a script in the same genre as mine, and my apologies if he's not accepting new clients/not receptive to queries. His response "Not what I asked." What I wanted to say "It's listed on IMDbPro, asshat."

Comment

I would guess that it was A.G.

Comment

Thanks, all. Now, when I begin in earnest, I know what to expect.
                            @MacBullitt

Comment

When I follow up I tend to hit "reply" to our last correspondence which will include the email chain -- just so he/she has a reference of requesting the script.

If I got no response, I tend to think, "pass". Maybe even follow-up a month after.

But more often than not, I get "Not yet, will try to read it this weekend." Then I wait another month.

Comment

Working...
                              X