Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you? (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=66136)

beerbeastredux 02-09-2012 02:43 AM

The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you?
 
For me, ( a 15 year professional animator who writes movies SPECIFICALLY FOR ANIMATION ) it was "This project doesn't really seem suited for animation."

:confused:*facepalm* Ughhh. :mad:

How about the rest of y'all?

hscope 02-09-2012 04:34 AM

Re: The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you?
 
"Pass."

NotTheBard 02-09-2012 05:07 AM

Re: The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you?
 
"Can't they wear crazy masks like in Point Break?"

RGF 02-09-2012 06:15 AM

Re: The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you?
 
After reading my charming "Field of Dreams" meets "Close Encounters" feel-good movie:

"The aliens should eat people, loud, so we can hear the bones crunching."

Aspirant 02-09-2012 10:24 AM

Re: The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerbeastredux (Post 786923)
For me, ( a 15 year professional animator who writes movies SPECIFICALLY FOR ANIMATION ) it was "This project doesn't really seem suited for animation."

:confused:*facepalm* Ughhh. :mad:

How about the rest of y'all?

I can see how this would be aggravating, but it doesn't seem objectively "dumb" to me. I mean, maybe I'm missing something, but I can at least imagine a situation in which a 15-year professional animator, who writes movies specifically for animation, comes up with an idea for an animated movie that, as laid out, doesn't really seem suited for animation. I'm not saying this was your situation, but without knowing what the idea was, it's kind of hard to say that the exec was clearly off-base. It sounds more like you're just saying that, due to your experience in animation, your opinion about what is suitable for animation is unassailable by an exec.

Manchester 02-09-2012 10:40 AM

Re: The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspirant (Post 786958)
I can see how this would be aggravating, but it doesn't seem objectively "dumb" to me. I mean, maybe I'm missing something, but I can at least imagine a situation in which a 15-year professional animator, who writes movies specifically for animation, comes up with an idea for an animated movie that, as laid out, doesn't really seem suited for animation. I'm not saying this was your situation, but without knowing what the idea was, it's kind of hard to say that the exec was clearly off-base. It sounds more like you're just saying that, due to your experience in animation, your opinion about what is suitable for animation is unassailable by an exec.

Maybe. And yet... The facially dumb part could be: If an exec knows a writer is a pro in animation, isn't it dumb to give that as the reason? Don't smart execs commit to memory a look-up table of things to say/not say when passing on a script? Unless the exec wants to alienate the writer forever.

beerbeastredux 02-09-2012 12:42 PM

Re: The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you?
 
i write my films SPECIFICALLY for animation. fantastic settings/scenarios, and crazy characters/situations that are best served in animation, not mention are more plausibe. There are things you can do in animation that just don't work in live action. That's what I mean.

I also mean this from a 2D point of view. I'm a classically trained 2D animator also proficient in CG. A lot of people have weird perceptions of 3D animation, as if it's really any different than 2D. They're not. Unless you're talking "performance capture" which is not animation. They just call it animation because there's a frickin talking lizard onscreen.

iknownuffin 02-09-2012 04:31 PM

Re: The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RGF (Post 786934)
"The aliens should eat people, loud, so we can hear the bones crunching."

That made my day. Thanks.:)

Geoff Alexander 02-09-2012 06:36 PM

Re: The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you?
 
"Would your client be willing to grant us a free option extension." Not the dumbest, but definitely one of the dumbest recent things I have heard from an executive.

CthulhuRises 02-09-2012 09:58 PM

Re: The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you?
 
"I'm thinking we make it a sexy Top Gun...or Gilligan's Island in Space."

:|


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro