Doubler's ScriptFever Writing Exercise (Revisited)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doubler's ScriptFever Writing Exercise (Revisited)

A couple of years back, Doubler83 had a great idea. Do a Script Frenzy type of exercise right here in DD Land. Write a complete script in 30 days:

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=48212

I thought it was a great idea and I was able to write a complete script in the time allotted. That script has gone through a few rewrites since then and it has improved with every rewrite.

Since that time, I have delved further into Writer/Director territory; directing shorts and a couple of webisodes. But this has allowed less time in writing spec scripts.

I wanted to ask Doubler83 if he would revive his exercise, but he does not seem to be around much. So, I want to revive Doubler's ScriptFever Writing Exercise so I can get another spec script completed and perhaps motivate you guys who need some motivation.

(Doubler83, if you return, I hope you don't mind me taking your idea and running with it?)

I am thinking that the exercise will Start on Jan 31st to midnight Feb. 29th. This will give us a full 30 days (like the original) to complete a script. Or if folks want, we can go from March 1st-31st (throw in an extra day).

The rules as Doubler developed are as follows:

1. 30 days (January 31 - February 29) to write a script from scratch. 90 page minimum in any genre of your choice. No set subject or theme. Write whatever you want.

2. All we ask is that participants are willing to post a logline for their script at the end of the exercise. It's not a 100% requirement, but it would certainly be appreciated.

3. No prizes at the end of it, but you can celebrate the fact that you've written a brand new screenplay in 30 days. A great accomplishment.

4. So start on outlining scripts for the January 31st start date.

Who is with me?
    Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

-- Rule 85, Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (updated by cmmora)

Another ScriptFever Writing Exercise?

I didn't get involved in that madness! (Actually, I quit one job and began work at another, at the end of August of 2009.) And, I don't need any more motivation!

I am reminded of a very early effort of mine to write a feature-length spec based in part, (and very loosely), upon Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Honestly, I drafted a detailed outline and remember writing a few scenes, (about a decade ago); the effort was interrupted by some other work, (possibly the first feature-length spec that I wrote, THE TALKING MONGOOSE); and, now, I wouldn't remember what I had actually written, back then, or had only just imagined. The story remains a "vivid dream", which I wouldn't mind revisiting and turning into a completed screenplay. I'd have to write a new outline and start all over again from the very first page.

Is that okay with the "from scratch" qualification?

Not much filming to be done in February, (during a Canadian winter). That magic may start in April or May, so I might join in with this exercise.
    JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Re: Doubler's ScriptFever Writing Exercise (Revisited)

Fortean,

This is a very free flowing exercise. I don't see a problem with you revisiting a story that you started and stopped years ago.

The main point of this craziness is to have a full script completed in 30 days. So almost anything is free to use to that end.

So, my friend, get that outline ready. And let the adventure begin on the 31st.

cmmora
      Never let the competition know what you're thinking... and never tell the unseen masses your story idea.

Comment

Cmmora's ScriptFever Writing Exercise

Originally posted by cmmora View Post
        Fortean...get that outline ready. And let the adventure begin on the 31st.
        I'm chomping at the bit, already, with a rough outline and some character arcs.
        JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

As of now, here are the writers who have shown interest -- With the project descriptions:

cmmora -- Bollywood Horror
          Fortean -- Based, in part on Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

Comment

Bump...

anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by cmmora View Post
              Bump...

anyone else?

Best of luck with this cmmora. I have too many commitments at the moment, but if the timing had been different, I'd be up for a quick-BURST first draft.

I hope a few others step up to the podium. You'd hope so on a writers' site!
              Forthcoming: The Annual, "I JUST GOT DUMPED" Valentine's Short Screenplay Writing Competition. Keep an eye on Writing Exercises.

Comment

I haven't been here in ages. Can I still take part? I need to write a thriller in a hurry for an actor.

Comment

Indie... of course you can take part. We start in a few weeks. Get that outline ready.

Comment

Outline?

Comment

Or wing it. Whatever your process is.

Comment

I participated in Doubler's script fever thing and completed a script.

I'm interested in doing this again but the timing's off. I've just started writing the A/D on a script & hope to be done by the end of Jan.

Maybe I can come up with an outline for another project and do that one for the fever.

I'll see how it goes this month...
                        Last edited by Laura Reyna; 01-13-2012, 12:46 PM. Reason: my L key was sticky!

"Trust your stuff." -- Dave Righetti, Pitching Coach

( Formerly "stvnlra" )

Comment

Do we share our scripts for comments or is it just a push to help us finish?

Comment

No, we don't share scripts. This exercise is used as a kick in the butt to get sh!t down.

Comment

Okay, mine will be a vampire thriller set in present day. I know, I know. Vampires are boring by now, but I was actually asked to write it so that's what I will go with.

Comment

Working...
                              X