Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Best way to approach a producer? (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=76289)

Darthclaw13 05-21-2014 11:58 AM

Best way to approach a producer?

Greetings everyone,

My question is...what is the best way to approach a producer?

I am wishing to get in touch with a producer who I have always wanted to work with.

I have my finished script, a completed budget, a completed business plan, my locations, and some verbal and email LOI's from well known talent (along with other talent connections).

Should I call up the prod company and ask for the producer's email and then send a query email?
Or should I go through their agent?

I prefer to try the direct approach first as I want to find out if he would be interested in working with me on this venture before sending over all the info I have ready. (I hope that made sense).

I do appreciate any advice folks here may have for this situation, and I wish everyone here much success in your own ventures. :)

(if anyone is curious the prod I want to work with is Richard Kelly of Darko Ent.) :)

BurOak 05-21-2014 07:41 PM

Re: Best way to approach a producer?

From the rear. On tiptoes. :p

cvolante 05-22-2014 05:58 AM

I'm sure approaching his prod co through your agent or manager would be the best way, but if you don't have one, you could call yourself. You'll likely reach an assistant, but assistants can be very nice and helpful. They'll let you know if he's open to outside projects.

Geoff Alexander 05-22-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darthclaw13 (Post 903872)
Greetings everyone,

My question is...what is the best way to approach a producer?

I am wishing to get in touch with a producer who I have always wanted to work with.

I have my finished script, a completed budget, a completed business plan, my locations, and some verbal and email LOI's from well known talent (along with other talent connections).

Should I call up the prod company and ask for the producer's email and then send a query email?
Or should I go through their agent?

I prefer to try the direct approach first as I want to find out if he would be interested in working with me on this venture before sending over all the info I have ready. (I hope that made sense).

I do appreciate any advice folks here may have for this situation, and I wish everyone here much success in your own ventures. :)

(if anyone is curious the prod I want to work with is Richard Kelly of Darko Ent.) :)

Go through his production company. There is a woman there who is an assistant, you'll want to start with her.

markerstone 05-23-2014 12:29 PM

My experience in this is that no matter how much work/time/effort you have put into developing the project it will still fall flat if it is not an exceptional script AND exactly what they are looking for AT THE TIME... timing is critical.

Connections & presentation to get the read-- brilliant script to get the meeting and only then will all the time and effort invested in developing the project possibly pay off... that is unless they want to option it outright then all of that work will be merely producer 'practice'.

If I were you I would make a list of 10-15 producers who have done similar stuff in the past and fine tune your pitch to get read at as many as you can.

M