Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Films (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Season Of The Witch (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=59600)

tuukka 01-07-2011 06:26 AM

Season Of The Witch
 
The Nicholas Cage movies comes out today, and it's getting worst reviews in recent memory. It's currently 3% fresh at RT:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1001..._of_the_witch/

...The interesting thing about the film is, that the script won Nicholl Fellowship in 2003. And now in the critic's reviews the screenwriter, Bragi Schut, is repeatedly mentioned in an extreme negative light.

It's not hard to guess that the the finished film is probably completely different than the original screenplay. But Schut gets all the blame regardless. I wonder how it must feel.

Does anyone have any info on the development history of the film? In fact I even recall that Schut used to be a member of the boards?

nou 01-07-2011 01:15 PM

Re: Season Of The Witch
 
They're gonna need more holy water...

EvilRbt 01-07-2011 01:37 PM

Re: Season Of The Witch
 
Shame. I often see the writer, Bragi Schut, at my Starbucks and he's a cool dude.

mtoomey 01-07-2011 02:07 PM

Re: Season Of The Witch
 
at what point did Nic Cage turn into such a cancer agent for any film he's in?? At this point, any film starting Cage is a joke in the industry.
-MT

Mycroftbrett 01-07-2011 03:08 PM

Re: Season Of The Witch
 
The trailer is terrible. Besmurching Nicholls by association is a curious move.

MacG 01-07-2011 04:25 PM

Re: Season Of The Witch
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuukka (Post 710435)
It's currently 3% fresh at RT

Not any more; it's dropped down to 2% now. (LOL)

I don't know how much cash their putting into advertising this p.o.s, but I literally can't go 30 minutes without seeing a TV spot. With that kind of exposure, you'd swear this was a big studio tentpole....

MacG 01-07-2011 04:29 PM

Re: Season Of The Witch
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuukka (Post 710435)
...The interesting thing about the film is, that the script won Nicholl Fellowship in 2003. And now in the critic's reviews the screenwriter, Bragi Schut, is repeatedly mentioned in an extreme negative light.

The director always gets the praise for a wonderful film; the writer always gets the blame for a clunker. That's the way it's always been.

James V. Simpson's ARMORED was a Nicholl finalist a few years back; that original script was pretty solid but development pretty much ruined it, turning it into what ended up on screen.

Gwai Lo 01-07-2011 04:33 PM

Re: Season Of The Witch
 
I f*cking love Nicolas Cage. He's a joke in roughly 80% of his movies, but he's brilliant in the other 20%. Come on... BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS, ADAPTATION, LEAVING LAS VEGAS, LORD OF WAR, RAISING ARIZONA, VAMPIRE'S KISS, FACE/OFF, RED ROCK WEST, WILD AT HEART... if Nicolas Cage only had these films on his resume (and maybe five more you may or may not think I'm leaving out) he'd be considered one of the best in the business. But the man likes his paycheques, and his schlock. At least he's usually entertainingly over the top in that other 80%. Like that WICKER MAN performance? Who else could have come up with that?

This movie does look like garbage though, so I'm not gonna see it. It is, however, a huge pet peeve of mine when critics mention "the script" when it's clear they haven't read it, or generally ignore the mountain of other people making business and creative decisions between a writer and a finished film. Or automatically blame flaws on a writer that might trace back to actors, editors, directors, "suits", etc. Maybe the script is genuinely bad (always much easier to decide in hindsight after seeing it visualized, perhaps visualized the wrong way) but you don't know without reading it, so just critique the *film* and talk about the *story*, not the script. I get the general feeling that to many movie critics, "script" means "dialogue".

instant_karma 01-07-2011 04:45 PM

Re: Season Of The Witch
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwai Lo (Post 710564)
I f*cking love Nicolas Cage. He's a joke in roughly 80% of his movies, but he's brilliant in the other 20%. Come on... BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF CALL NEW ORLEANS, ADAPTATION, LEAVING LAS VEGAS, LORD OF WAR, RAISING ARIZONA, VAMPIRE'S KISS, FACE/OFF, RED ROCK WEST, WILD AT HEART... if Nicolas Cage only had these films on his resume (and maybe five more you may or may not think I'm leaving out) he'd be considered one of the best in the business. But the man likes his paycheques, and his schlock. At least he's usually entertainingly over the top in that other 80%. Like that WICKER MAN performance? Who else could have come up with that?

Yeah.

You just need to be clued in on the Nicolas Cage Hair Code.

If you see a movie in which he appears to have strange or crazy hair, this is in fact Nic Cage secretly signalling to the audience that the movie you are about to watch is most likely not very good.

Of course, to this day, there remains a fierce debate amongst scholars of how Con Air fits into the code.

nou 01-07-2011 04:57 PM

Re: Season Of The Witch
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gwai Lo (Post 710564)
He's a joke in roughly 80% of his movies, but he's brilliant in the other 20%.

This, my dear Gwai Lo, is how he pays his bills.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro