Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Films (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ghostbusters Trailer (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=80430)

carcar 07-17-2016 04:19 PM

Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

Anyone that's offended by the villain ghost getting it in the balls at the end must also be offended by these (100) other movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHj_jwVKczc

Vance 07-18-2016 03:23 AM

It doesn't sound offensive, just lazy.

FoxHound 07-18-2016 03:46 AM

I just read how Sony was "thrilled" at the $46 Million opening weekend. And thought it would do well oversees (despite it being banned in China).

Goliath 07-18-2016 06:03 AM

I saw it recently with my girlfriend. She loved it. (But then again, she loves Bridesmaids. Which girl doesn't?)

Me (a neutral viewer), I see it as a chick flick, thought it was okay. Bottom line: Paul Feig has basically turned the franchise into a dumb slapstick comedy. There was a joke or two crammed into the script every minute on average (no kidding!). I'm not a fan of the original either but I can see why fans of the original hate this reboot.

omjs 07-18-2016 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goliath (Post 940649)
I saw it recently with my girlfriend. She loved it. (But then again, she loves Bridesmaids. Which girl doesn't?)

Me (a neutral viewer), I see it as a chick flick, thought it was okay. Bottom line: Paul Feig has basically turned the franchise into a dumb slapstick comedy. There was a joke or two crammed into the script every minute on average (no kidding!). I'm not a fan of the original either but I can see why fans of the original hate this reboot.

Is it fair to say that if I like Spy and The Heat, then I'll also like the new Ghostbusters?

I wouldn't normally see something like this in theaters, but I almost feel like I should just to see what everyone's talking about. But if it's like Feig's other movies, which I love, it might be worth seeing anyway as penance for catching those movies after their theatrical releases.

Vance 07-18-2016 01:58 PM

I get the feeling that if you like The Heat, you'd likely enjoy this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by omjs (Post 940659)
Is it fair to say that if I like Spy and The Heat, then I'll also like the new Ghostbusters?

I wouldn't normally see something like this in theaters, but I almost feel like I should just to see what everyone's talking about. But if it's like Feig's other movies, which I love, it might be worth seeing anyway as penance for catching those movies after their theatrical releases.

FoxHound 07-18-2016 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vance (Post 940661)

It could be me, but if you were trying to re-boot a billion dollar franchise, and desperate for a blockbuster, would you really pick Paul Feig as your director / savior? Wouldn't you go after JJ Abrams, Bryan Singer or other established blockbuster directors?

Vance 07-18-2016 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxHound (Post 940669)
It could be me, but if you were trying to re-boot a billion dollar franchise, and desperate for a blockbuster, would you really pick Paul Feig as your director / savior? Wouldn't you go after JJ Abrams, Bryan Singer or other established blockbuster directors?

Studio logic is always to chase the money, though. Any of those are okay choices. If you were doing things for the art, you'd probably stay away from Abrams after the Star Trek reboot, which was fun but ultimately very dumb and trashy. My roommate watched the first movie a few nights ago and just listening to the dialog from the next room, it reached new levels of clunkiness in my mind. It's well-assembled, but it's still pretty dumb.

Same token, Netflix is probably happy to have Adam Sandler since his movies tend to come in at a budget. After what they've been blowing on other projects, they likely got him at a steal.

Conflating somebody's filmmaking ability with their studio value is sort of missing the point.

Goliath 07-18-2016 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omjs (Post 940659)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vance (Post 940661)

Yes I'm fairly certain you will enjoy the new Ghostbusters if you liked his other works. FYI, I did force myself to watch Bridesmaids, The Heat and Spy (to understand the Feig hype...) Found all of them quite forgettable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxHound (Post 940669)

Ultimately, the Ghostbusters franchise has a strong comedic element which most other blockbusters don't have. That's why I see the studios picking Feig as a logical choice for them.

Make no mistake, this reboot is a deeply polarizing movie since the target audience is exclusively female (and the film does come off as a tad misandrist). YET the franchise and existing fanbase is male-dominated.

Joaneasley 07-19-2016 11:40 AM

I thought Spy was more entertaining, had more emotional impact, and was funnier and smarter than this Ghostbusters. I didn't hate it. I laughed here and there but wasn't constantly in stitches. The SFX are cool, and it's fun IMHO.

I was more impressed by Spy as both an adventure and wish-fulfillment for women who are underestimated and underappreciated. I don't remember Heat well enough to compare.