Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (
-   Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks (
-   -   2 studios/ Need help (

mcd5 06-01-2005 02:17 PM

Studio Reads
hey guys,

a friend of a friend who works at a major studio agreed to read my script over the weekend. she loved it-- so much that she gave it to another friend, who also works at a studio, and also enjoyed it. they agreed to put it into story development at both studios so i could get some notes and feedback. she said this usually takes a month. after a few rounds of notes she said i could "hook up with an agent and shop it around". (assuming that either studio isn't interested??? i don't know.)

while i'm not so naive as to think it will sell, i'm wondering if i should let some agents or prod. co's know i am in story development at 2 studios, or if it is too early to tell. even if i can't get a sale i am hoping to get a reputable agent and maybe a shot at an assignment. is this realistic?



mcd5 06-02-2005 01:11 PM

Re: 2 studios

She really helped me out. I realize that no matter how many phone calls I made or emails I sent, I could never have access to the people she put me in contact with. So I am forever grateful. Yet again, another instance of who you know...

But I'm still stuck wondering if I should capitalize on this now or wait for the notes to come back. I feel like an agent could drum up some interest at some other studios and prod co's, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes... especially if either studio is interested and the girl did me a favor getting it in the door.

I don't want to sucker punch the gift horse in the mouth.

Cole Blackburn 06-02-2005 02:31 PM

Re: 2 studios/ Need help
Don't do anything.
Having your script read at two studios probably
isn't enough to get an agent or manager interested.
Hell, it's hard enough to get them interested when
you have a sale pending.
My advice.
Don't screw the hand that fed you.
Wait for the notes, wait for her and she may be
able to help you further.
Post again if either studio wants to option
the script.

English Dave 06-02-2005 02:45 PM

Re: 2 studios/ Need help
Ditto what Cole says. Wait until you get your notes, improve the script, then see what happens. Having a script read by a couple of studios is an exciting thing for a writer if it is the first time. It isn't going to make an agent blink. Slow down a little.

kullervo 06-02-2005 03:47 PM

Re: 2 studios/ Need help
Yeah. Relax. Your script is receiving coverage, perhaps story notes if you're lucky. That will give you something to work on. It is being sent to the people that work in the story development department. If it were actually in story development at a studio, you would have a large check in hand. When you have that check, then try for an agent.


English Dave 06-02-2005 07:45 PM

Re: 2 studios/ Need help
Wait. Honestly. Just wait.

odriftwood 06-03-2005 09:43 PM

Re: 2 studios/ Need help
If you contact an agent they first thing they'll say is "cool, send me the script." Then you'll have to say "I'm waiting for notes, then I'm going to rewrite it and make it better." Agent says "call me when you get it ready." Then when you do, they'll forget all about you. Make the calls when you have the version in your hand you want to send out. Sounds like to me that's after the notes come in. Agents and Hollywood aren't going anywhere...

I'd also get back on the horn with your friends, take them out to lunch as a thank you and ask "so what else are you guys looking for? What scripts have you read that you really liked... can I see them?"

Joe Unidos 06-07-2005 11:10 AM

Re: 2 studios/ Need help
There's a few things about this scenario that confuse me. The first concern I have is that the original poster might be talking about production companies, not studios. But certainly that might not be the case. It would be easy enough to reveal which magor studios you mean --they're only 5 or 6 of them. The idea that an unsold spec somehow is in story development at the studio level at two studios is not only improbable but most likely something that the legal department at each studio would be concerned about.

Obviously, I could be wrong but I have a feeling that there is some confusion over terms. Specifically, a major studio has only a handful of people who can put a screenplay into development. That is mostly because, in the strictest sense of the term, only someone authorized to buy can do that.

It sounds to me like your friends have submitted the spec to their respective Story Dept's for coverage, which is NOT being "
in story development at 2 studios."

burnaise 06-07-2005 01:17 PM

Re: 2 studios/ Need help
joe is right on the money. the script is not in development. it is being covered. to put it bluntly, that is meaningless. it will not be enticing to any agent that you are getting your script covered. what will matter is if the coverage is fantastic (and it won't be, because it's still an early draft).

take the notes, take a couple months...write and rewrite and rewrite again. then, when you have something decent, begin the hunt.

right now, you have nothing to offer other than a script that needs work. in time that will be different. be patient.

good luck

Joe Unidos 06-07-2005 03:05 PM

Re: 2 studios/ Need help

I think what's being said is a nice version of "what is happening with you right now will be meaningless to any reputable agent and so you are better-served honing the material instead of chasing well-meaning but slightly-off advice that having a spec being covered in any way will help you contact (let alone aquire) an agent."

But that's just my read on it.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro