Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Agents, Lawyers & Managers (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Low ranking manager vs top dog (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=80074)

ManbunShiva 11-23-2015 07:03 PM

Low ranking manager vs top dog

So, let's say you get absolutely no interest save a low on the totem pole manager #99,000. And you got 0 interest from well known management. companies. What would you do?

Go with the guy who clearly can't do much or rue your luck in not attracting better representation? Because let's face it, only the top ones can do something for you...rather than being managed by a dude who also reps a party clown.:rolleyes:

ducky1288 11-23-2015 07:14 PM

Re: Low ranking manager vs top dog

Take neither because having a manager who can't do anything for you is as bad as anyone who won't.

Having said that there is a difference in a young manager who is just starting out but is willing to hustle and network and will eventually build their client list up -- everyone has to start somewhere.

ManbunShiva 11-23-2015 09:27 PM

Good point, ducky. Is it a red flag if the "young manager" who shows interest has only 1-2 clients? Or is it better to look for someone having at least 6?

thornmane 11-23-2015 10:27 PM

Probably better to focus on what that manager has done for their clients rather than how many they've got.

EdFury 11-23-2015 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManbunShiva (Post 930993)
So, let's say you get absolutely no interest save a low on the totem pole manager #99,000. And you got 0 interest from well known management. companies. What would you do?

Go with the guy who clearly can't do much or rue your luck in not attracting better representation? Because let's face it, only the top ones can do something for you...rather than being managed by a dude who also reps a party clown.:rolleyes:

If this guy or woman can get your work out to places you can't get your work to, how is that bad? I wouldn't sign a contract, but why not try it? How can it hurt you? And if they can't get you meetings or traction on anything in 6 months, then move on.

I took what I thought was a down the ladder manager because no one else would bite. He said he believed in me and pretty quickly he got me one meeting with a working production company exec that has (through things mushrooming out from that original meeting and the people I met from that company who moved other places) turned into 6 produced films, countless great rewrite jobs, optioned specs, and as of a week ago a series sale to a cable network.

You can roll your eyes all you want, but in this industry you cannot and will not start at the top. Look at each rung on your ladder up as an education. I'm not saying this relationship will work, but it does give you a CV that says you've already been repped, that someone liked what you do enough to rep you. That makes it easier to attract another one and move up another rung.

You wait for a "top dog" manager and you might be waiting for years.

Ronaldinho 11-24-2015 11:43 AM

A rep's place on the totem pole is almost irrelevant.

In fact, you are probably better off with the lowly guy who is excited for you and hustling his ass off than you are with the big dog who has clients who make 10x what you make, for whom you are an afterthought.

Yeah, sometimes those young guys won't be any good at their job. I have a friend who is with a manager who seems unwilling or unable to do anything for him - the guy used to work in development or something, and doesn't really seem to have much of a plan. However, he recently partnered up with a more experienced manager so my friend is giving him a chance to learn the ropes.

One of the classic mistakes young writers make is going for the big-name rep over the rep who seems super excited about them. I know dozens of writers who have made this mistake. I made it.

Obviously, pay attention to what a young, inexperienced manager is or isn't doing - but the truth is you have to do this with a bigger manager, too, to make sure they follow through and things don't fall through the cracks.

UnequalProductions 11-24-2015 11:47 AM

My first manager was someone whose name my friends recognized. She did literally nothing for me.

My second manager was young and hungry. I can't believe the places she gets my stuff read.

Connections help, but they can be built. Passion is the fuel that gets stuff done.

ManbunShiva 11-24-2015 12:37 PM

Some excellent advice there, gents. Really allayed my fears about what a younger manager is capable of. Thank you very much!

Posey Mund 11-25-2015 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManbunShiva (Post 930993)

Is the Party clown getting gigs?

Twofingeredtypist 11-29-2015 10:12 AM

I do like the idea of targeting newly promoted or hungry young managers. Sometimes the trades help, but it can be tough.