Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women" (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=70811)

LauriD 01-23-2013 05:06 AM

New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

"Chalk this up as being barely a surprise. A study recently found that, of the 250 top-grossing Hollywood films, only 9% of the directors were women in 2012. And that is actually an increase from 4% in 2011. The study comes out as indie producers announced the launch of a new production company at the Sundance Film Festival: Tangerine Entertainment, which will focus on female directors and "strong roles for women.""

http://movieline.com/2013/01/22/wome...to-narrow-gap/

emily blake 01-23-2013 10:48 AM

Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

At least the number is growing.

I was thinking about this when I saw Zero Dark Thirty. Maya never has sex in this film, and you just know the studio wanted that. I'll bet you anything that Bigelow had to fight to keep her from banging one of her coworkers. I think a male director would have gone that way.

Levenger 01-23-2013 11:01 AM

I knew it was missing something...

Wes Tooke 01-23-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emily blake (Post 852437)
Maya never has sex in this film, and you just know the studio wanted that. I'll bet you anything that Bigelow had to fight to keep her from banging one of her coworkers.

I'll take that bet given that Megan Ellison was the one who cut the check to make the movie.

CthulhuRises 01-23-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes Tooke (Post 852500)
I'll take that bet given that Megan Ellison was the one who cut the check to make the movie.

Quiet you. People are trying to make baseless sweeping generalizations here!

JoeBanks 01-23-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

And Stacy Snider and Amy Pascal run studios. Doesn't mean their films still don't perpetuate gender stereotypes

Wes Tooke 01-23-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeBanks (Post 852542)
And Stacy Snider and Amy Pascal run studios. Doesn't mean their films still don't perpetuate gender stereotypes

Who was arguing that? Are you willing to take the bet that somebody at Annapurna told Kathryn Bigelow to sex up her movie?

The larger point, which your post actually reinforces, is that the world where these decisions are really made has more nuance than portrayed above. Which isn't to deny that the percentage of female directors is shocking or that the portrayal of women in film (especially genre film) needs to be examined.

emily blake 01-23-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Did you listen to Jessica Chastain's Golden Globes speech?

Wes Tooke 01-24-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emily blake (Post 852610)
Did you listen to Jessica Chastain's Golden Globes speech?

Yup.

CJ Walley 01-24-2013 03:36 AM

Really pleased to read about the new prodco.

I'm a big fan of Lynne Ramsay and she's mentioned in a few press interviews how tough it is for female directors in this business. I'm also a big fan of Glamour Reel Moments project, particularly Kate Hudson's Cutlass. The industry needs more balance without a doubt.