Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Studio Speak (What's The Deal) (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=21662)

777-9311 06-09-2006 06:13 AM

Studio Speak (What's The Deal)

Hi Everyone,

I've been a Done Deal voyeur, soaking up knowledge. Here's a question I need answered if possible.

I spoke with a creative executive at a studio who requested my script. The script received a consider and has moved around the studio. She read it and said she's not a fan, but wanted to show someone else in the studio for their opinion. She said that she will call me back on Friday. I thought it's the norm to have Monday morning meetings about material. What's up with the Friday callback?

It's a very, very unique script. It seems that either you love or hate the script in its quest to find a home.

Help... 777-9311

English Dave 06-09-2006 06:21 AM

Re: Studio Speak (What's The Deal)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 777-9311
Hi Everyone,

It's a very, very unique script and when reading it, the script plays out in your mind as a movie.

:confused:
That isn't what you think is unique I hope? :)

I'm not entriely sure what the question is? Mondays are not sacrosanct for discussing submissions. Especially those that have't been put on 'week-end' read.

Good luck though, I hope you get a positive response on your script.

777-9311 06-09-2006 06:48 AM

[quote=English Dave]:confused:
That isn't what you think is unique I hope? :)

I've edited my previous post. The script itself is very unique.

I guess, why continue to get others opinion? Had she really liked the material, would she seek someone else's opinion and then pass it along up the ladder? But, I guess I should be lucky that the CE who obviously didn't warm to it, saw something in it to seek out another opinion.

Thanks for your insight!

Fingers, toes, hair and everything else crossed.

777-9311

English Dave 06-09-2006 07:07 AM

[quote=777-9311]
Quote:

Originally Posted by English Dave
:confused:

But, I guess I should be lucky that the CE who obviously didn't warm to it, saw something in it to seek out another opinion.

Yep. That's good going. Again, good luck.

EJ Pennypacker 06-09-2006 08:07 AM

Either way you've stuck a cord with 'em - which can only be a good thing - even if it does stop dead in its tracks.

EJ

writerman 06-09-2006 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boski
"Tomorrow" means next week, minimum.

"Next week" means 2 weeks from now--minimum.

"A month" is 2 months minimum.

"3 months" is 6 months... etc.

"well talk in three weeks...if someone comes along and wants your piece between here and there you should do it... dont wait for me" = never gonna happen. :mad: @$%*!!!!

odriftwood 06-09-2006 03:39 PM

777, can I call you 7? 7, it's cool you've got somebody reading your script. And the fact that she wants to pass it around means there might be something there and wants to get a second opinion. Rarely will you ever find a situation that one person can greenlight a project from start to finish. There are many layers. As to the "when will she call and why on Friday and what about Monday..." take a deep breath... let it out... It's Hollywood, Max. Everything and anything can happen. If she said she would call you back wait for her to call. If she hasn't called back in a week, call her.

FYI, had a buddy who submitted a script to a major studio exec. The exec called and said "this script is wonderful, it made me cry." Still haven't made the movie...

Jake Schuster 06-09-2006 05:19 PM

Hurry up and wait.

:o

writer0825 06-09-2006 08:20 PM

I have to say, I'm not really understanding WHY she's passing it around if she's not a fan of the script? Also the other people that liked it, are they at the same company? It's a little confusing to me. But good luck, hope something comes from it. Hopefully it will get passed to someone at the studio who will become a champion for it. She doesn't seem like that person and I'd find it a little strange that she'd just jump on board to move it along just based on what someone else says --- I mean, can you really count on her to push for it like she should after something like that? I'd say probably not.

Mikal 06-12-2006 04:48 AM

Pennypacker said:

Quote:

Either way you've stuck a cord with 'em - which can only be a good thing - even if it does stop dead in its tracks.
FYI: It's "struck a chord", not stuck a cord! Just so you do, I'm not being condescending here at all. It's an old phrase so you couldn't be expected to know its origins. In fact, GOOGLE doesn't even give it!