Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Production Co's Doing WESTERNS? (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=79286)

x32792 05-20-2015 10:39 AM

Production Co's Doing WESTERNS?

I'm a produced writer and I have a Western script I'd like to find a home for. Any recommendations about which Companies like and do Westerns? :) TIA

harbak 05-20-2015 11:01 AM

Re: Production Co's Doing WESTERNS?

On the main page here click on DEALS ARCHIVE

Put search dates in for the last 5 years and select GENRE as WESTERN and you will get every prodco, manager, agent, or studio that has done a deal. Then research their contact info. Good luck.

x32792 05-20-2015 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harbak (Post 923236)
On the main page here click on DEALS ARCHIVE

Put search dates in for the last 5 years and select GENRE as WESTERN and you will get every prodco, manager, agent, or studio that has done a deal. Then research their contact info. Good luck.

Thank you, I'm heading off in that direction right now. John

Geoff Alexander 05-20-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x32792 (Post 923234)
I'm a produced writer and I have a Western script I'd like to find a home for. Any recommendations about which Companies like and do Westerns? :) TIA

I think it's a mistake to try and find companies that have done westerns in the past--it's such a niche genre it's not like it's going to be a business plan for anyone. Better to understand what kind of story you have and find people with similar sensibilities--if it is a western with big action and genre bending, find people who like that stuff, if it is a contained thriller in a western setting find people who do that, drama...you get the point.

People aren't going to do a Western for the sake of doing a Western, they are going to do something that is unique and exciting and if it is also a Western, okay.

x32792 05-20-2015 11:26 AM

Geoff Alexander,

Don't go messing up my daydream with reason and logic.

SARAH ARIZONA, "In the Arizona Territory, 1863, a young girl is raised by the bounty hunter who killed her parents."

The story follows the life of a young girl from age 12 until she is about 20. Not your average Western. There's actually a story line, an arc and some humanity...OK, and some killin' and shootin' too.

John

ducky1288 05-20-2015 12:19 PM

As someone who wrote a western pilot -- it's not an easy thing because westerns scare people. It's seen as a risk. Even when I had an Emmy nominated director attached people still seemed hesitant.

They're not impossible because they still get made but it is likely one of those, right place, right time, kind of things. All the stars need to align to get it done.

Having said that, my western pilot has been an amazing sample. People aren't scare to read them -- just scared to throw money at them :rolling:

x32792 05-20-2015 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducky1288 (Post 923243)
As someone who wrote a western pilot -- it's not an easy thing because westerns scare people. It's seen as a risk. Even when I had an Emmy nominated director attached people still seemed hesitant.

They're not impossible because they still get made but it is likely one of those, right place, right time, kind of things. All the stars need to align to get it done.

Having said that, my western pilot has been an amazing sample. People aren't scare to read them -- just scared to throw money at them :rolling:

Gee, thanks...I think? I feel so much better now.

nativeson 05-20-2015 11:29 PM

Try genre-bending...

ZOMBIE WESTERN.