No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Showrunners in Support of Nagys' Presidency

https://deadline.com/2019/07/top-sho...rt-1202654656/

i'm confused by this. what is it exactly that they don't like about the current negotiations, why don't they like it? what do they want? and is it aligned with the benefit of ALL writers, not the top writers?

i mean, are they for packaging fees? or shared fees? i'd like to better understand this aspect.
    "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Re: Top Showrunners in Support of Nagys' Presidency

I'm confused by it all -- this is David Simon's take:

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status...35139594350593
    Last edited by figment; 07-28-2019, 03:11 AM. Reason: accidentally pushed edit -- oops!

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
      I'm confused by it all -- this is David Simon's take:

https://twitter.com/AoDespair/status...35139594350593
      i like this guy. a lot.

his take, which i agree with, every single point, is about integrity.

an agent's job is to fight for his client's quote. his client makes more, he makes more. if all writers are represented the same way the playing field is level because all agents will fight for what is right/best for their client first.

i think he explains the situation well.

when a showrunner accepts a packaging deal in lieu of paying 10% commission he helps ONLY himself. no other writer will benefit from the 10% commission savings the showrunner has forfeited-- the agents have no reason to fight to increase the "other" writers salaries. and they don't, because they make their money at the top.

what i don't understand is the opposition.

they voted for the negotiating committed to negotiate-- no one could foresee what form that would take. if the opposing parties (ATA) refuse to negotiate, then the only alternative is to negotiate around them, which is what the guild is doing.

the answer is not to give in, but stand united on principle.

i'm not in the guild, so my opinion matters not, but offering it anyway.

thanks for posting this, figment.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

I'm in another thread talking about this -- thanks for the letter. I missed it.

Comment

I read the letter. See the A list names. And angry comments below (I mean it's deadline). And I honestly do not understand the two sides on this.

People are running for open seats. And these top people support these candidates. Why is that bad?

I'm so annoyed at how little I understand about this and the more I try to find out the more confused I am! I wonder how many WGA members just don't know WTF is going on themselves...

Comment

Originally posted by Bono View Post
            I read the letter. See the A list names. And angry comments below (I mean it's deadline). And I honestly do not understand the two sides on this.

People are running for open seats. And these top people support these candidates. Why is that bad?
            i don't think it's "bad" per se to have contested elections in a union. i think these candidates at this time are, at best, a strategic mistake not only against the ATA but also in the upcoming negotiations against the studios next year. the lesson from the 2008 strike was that if either ATA or AMPTP can hold out just long enough that writers begin or perceive that they are feeling some hardship, the bosses can always count on John Wells & Co. to go behind their back and cut a deal just non-shitty enough that enough of the rank and file will hold their nose and ratify it.

at worst, they are stalking horses for the Big 4 who either know (because they've continued to "talk" to their clients even after they were fired or supposed to be fired) or are smart enough to read the signals that the fix is in if the negotiating slate is elected. which is also bad strategy because then the ATA really has no incentive to negotiate in good faith knowing that all the guild's leverage has just been voted away.

Comment

I understand the words, but I don't understand 50% of what you're trying to say because I'm not inside baseball enough.

Why has the leverage been voted away?

I keep seeing reference to John Wells in a bad light, but since I know nothing, I got nothing. I mean he was in charge, so whoever was in charge, I assume would get blame. No?

I need someone to explain it to the me like I"m a 4 year old.

At this point, I don't even know what the goal is. To get rid of all packaging fees 100%? That didn't seem like it would ever happen... I figured the real goal was to get some of that money to go back to the writers/creators in a more fair way?

Comment

I understand the words, but I don't understand 50% of what you're trying to say because I'm not inside baseball enough.

Why has the leverage been voted away?

I keep seeing reference to John Wells in a bad light, but since I know nothing, I got nothing. I mean he was in charge, so whoever was in charge, I assume would get blame. No?

I need someone to explain it to the me like I"m a 4 year old.

At this point, I don't even know what the goal is. To get rid of all packaging fees 100%? That didn't seem like it would ever happen... I figured the real goal was to get some of that money to go back to the writers/creators in a more fair way?
                There is no version, where packaging fees remain that will not be gamed to the point by agents to render any compromise essentially meaningless for the vast majority of writers.

What will happen, is that top show runners or those who achieve that status eventually, with enough leverage, will be able to negotiate better deals for themselves and get a bigger share of the slice, as many already do. While the rest will be left to continue on the current paradigm which exploits their talents and hopes to line the pockets of a handful few.

Elite aristocracies have always maintained their power by offering just enough of the crumbs to just enough people in the right places. Which is what is happening here. If the WGA folds now and there is a "negotiated settlement" that includes packaging fees then the top show runners will have essentially used the thousands of ordinary lower-level writers as leverage to improve their cut with the agencies.

This should be self-evident but then the British public voted for Brexit and Americans voted for Trump. It takes just enough writers to buy the nonsense being peddled for the same to happen here.

The very idea of packaging fees is completely incompatible with the idea of agents genuinely representing the interests of their clients, i.e. writers. And it should therefore be anathema to anyone hoping to earn a living as a writer.

Comment

you know, i had a boss once that appreciated my work ethic so much that she split her bonus with me. that's integrity.

i know that showrunners don't control what their writers make, the networks/studios do, but when you're making money in the millions and even hundreds of millions, it seem disingenuous to say you're fighting for the marginalized among the union when you want to throw in the towel before the changes to help everyone are realized.

is seems like they're fighting for a larger share for themselves. i could be wrong, but i don't understand why they want to give in-- the strategy is working.

is it possible that a showrunner has the power to say, "i'm not signing unless you pay all my writers this..."

i mean, maybe i got this wrong, but it seems like there's this huge chazm between what a showrunner makes and what their writing staff makes. is that true? or not true?
                  Last edited by finalact4; 07-28-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Are John and Craig on different sides of this issue now? I can't tell. I swear to god the more i learn the less I know. I'm so sick of feeling this dumb. I'll guess I'll just quit caring as I'm not in WGA yet.

Comment

Are John and Craig on different sides of this issue now? I can't tell. I swear to god the more i learn the less I know. I'm so sick of feeling this dumb. I'll guess I'll just quit caring as I'm not in WGA yet.
                      John is on the Board and a big proponent of the action. I guess I'm not sure what Craig thinks anymore? On the podcast, he seemed to dismiss affiliated production as unimportant and voiced a desire to "get back to work" with his agents (which would put him at odds with John). In the Shawn Ryan exchange, he seems to suggest that affiliated production is a make-or-break issue and that he wants to stay the course with the present action unless the ATA is willing to make huge, meaningful concessions (which is exactly the leadership's position).

I'm guessing here, but I think the underlying disagreement may be about the inevitability of Big Four primacy. I get the feeling that many in leadership (and possibly/probably John) want to break up the big agencies; they see this action ending with a representation landscape that looks VERY different from the status quo. Craig, on the other hand, seems to think that's either impossible or undesirable, and he sees this action ending with everything pretty much the way it is now but with packaging reform and a partial or total curtailment of affiliated production.

I don't know how long you all have been around these parts, but Craig used to hang out here all the time. Who knows? Maybe he'll jump in and clarify.

Comment

Craig was running for VP of WGA West and dropped out yesterday for family reasons. I don't think he'll chime in here. I'm just now starting to read all the threads and articles, and I'm totally confused about what's going on. Though I did find the thread that David Simon to be the most clarifying.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/craig-m...ld-1202658137/

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
                          Craig, on the other hand, seems to think that's either impossible or undesirable, and he sees this action ending with everything pretty much the way it is now but with packaging reform and a partial or total curtailment of affiliated production.
                          from the articles i read, this is my understanding as well.

Comment

The new candidates have a website.

Too bad the WGA can't just have David Simon run for all positions.

https://www.wgaforwardtogether.com/#CANDIDATES

Comment

So John August posted a WGA related post on his website explaining what the WGA has been doing. I can't tell what Craig side of this argument is, but I can't believe he thinks he's wrong either. Probably that they didn't take on ATA (whatever the hell that is!. Honestly I don't really get it.)

So it's fascinating that 2 close friends who do the podcast together can't actually talk about this issue, but now John can post this? Why now and not 3 weeks ago?

Comment

Working...
                              X