Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   You're a producer, fo realz??? (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=84703)

GucciGhostXXX 07-10-2019 01:21 AM

You're a producer, fo realz???
 
I don't get this and never will:

So, a friend of mine intros me to a producer. He responds "Would love to read, will take a look this weekend."

Me: "Great. Look forward to your thoughts!"

WHAT THE FUKK EVER... basic b!tch response.

Dude flat out GHOSTS me. Dude never returns. Seriously? Who does business this way? Don't worry bro, never gonna check in with you. Our relationship is permanently dead. Tells me a fukk ton about someone's work ethic. That's a dude who would never get your back. Someone burns me like that, peace!

My gripe is... WHY am I the more professional one in ALL of these scenarios? Thought I was the flakey artist dude? Meanwhile I hand the script in on time or early. I communicate exactly when I say I will. I'm on my game hardcore. These people that much of a pu$$y? Bruh, just be like "Not for me man, later!" Okay, no worries bruh, been through this a billion times.

This industry is unnecessarily rude.

docgonzo 07-10-2019 08:45 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
I'm going through this same exact thing right now.

I worked for months (for free!) on a TV pitch with a producer. The whole time he's engaged, excited, can't wait to get out there and pitch (never mind he has a handful of indie feature creds and zero TV experience -- guy knows f*ck-all about developing TV and it showed).

We pitch a few places. Couple of biggies. We get all passes, as one would expect from the likes of us with no big names attached. But he was hopelessly naive in thinking that we were going to sell. He really believed this. But me, being the more practically minded one, knew exactly what would happen.

We have one more pitch set up. We get some feedback from the other places. They were concerned about the series' longevity. They felt the story was thin and they weren't sure if it could last beyond a season (both issues I tried to address in developing, but because he knows jacksh!t about developing TV, he basically f*cked us from the get-go).

So with two weeks until we pitch, he wants me to go back to the drawing board and completely revamp it. Awesome, more free work for me! I come up with some ideas and we have a call. He doesn't like any of it. Well, f*ck him. But I play the good soldier (as I had been doing) and tell him I'll go back in again. Two days later I hand in a document. That's the Friday before 4th of July week. He doesn't respond. No "Thanks, I'll read and circle back." No acknowledgement of any kind.

I wait until after the 4th and email to see if he's read. Yes, he did. And again, he didn't like. But he said nothing the entire time. Keep in mind this is a pitch he was flipping over for months. He loved it. And then suddenly, he went Arctic f*cking cold. Why, who knows? Maybe he finally saw the writing on the wall. Maybe deep down he realized that he doesn't know what the f*ck he's doing (but given his clueless naivete, I doubt it!)

Regardless, this assh*le wants to cancel the last pitch. Fine, I say. Better to do that than go in with a pitch he's suddenly sour on. And to be honest, I was never that into it. He turned a cool idea into something I would never write or come up with on my own. We had a great world, and he reduced it down to a f*cking lame CW show. What the f*ck!

Anyway, I hear you! Some of these guys/gals are complete tools. It doesn't help that this particular producer is a former actor. But I digress. I really wish people would be straight up instead of pulling this silent treatment sh*t. Sack up, producers!

Bono 07-10-2019 09:16 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
I talked about this in many other threads, but simply you have something to lose and they don't. You care deeply about the project and they don't. You're 1 of many.

It's like how the fat kid (me) remembers any pretty girl that smiled at them in their dumb life and they would not remember that interaction. What is super important to my ego didn't even register as an event to them. Human nature.

Most basic is people hate to give bad news, so they don't say ****. It's not good, but that's most of it. Or they just said yes I'll read it and forgot entirely as they probably say yes to tons of **** and as the day goes on another email pops in the inbox and they literally forget.

Either way, I assume it's a "no" and move on with my life as it's just easier. I have friends that don't give me notes when I send them my scripts and I'm sure if I'm being honest I did that to my friends. And it wasn't on purpose. It was just like you had so much going on and you said "sure send it" and just forgot.

My long point is that's the business, that's human nature. I hate reading scripts myself especially my own.

Satriales 07-10-2019 09:56 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Personally I see it it quite a bit in my other professional life, but never to the Hollywood degree. It’s frustrating. I don’t get it and could never act that way. But it’s our shitty reality. But still, act like a human, one time. Gutless.

The upsides I have seen thus far, anecdotally: younger execs seem to ghost you less. Younger female execs have been far more professional in their communications and in proactively reaching out, rather than us chasing them down for an answer, even when we know it’s a no. Maybe at some point in their career this changes - but I hope not. For all the crap this 40 year old puts on millennials and subsequent generations, they are way more professional in Hollywood.

finalact4 07-10-2019 10:35 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
it's not hard to say, "it's a pass." as Satriales mentions, it's the same in other industries as well. it is very unprofessional, disrespectful, and discouraging.

i get not responding to a query that doesn't interest you. fine with it. but when you request to read the script, ignoring the writer is not cool. put your big boy pants on and "pass" if you want to pass. all the big guys do.

send it and forget it, is an unfortunate SOP.

catcon 07-10-2019 10:48 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by finalact4 (Post 963559)
it's not hard to say, "it's a pass." as Satriales mentions, it's the same in other industries as well. it is very unprofessional, disrespectful, and discouraging...

Well, if we push or force them to respond, they'll just come up with some canned response system, like I wrote about here:

VPF responses

docgonzo 07-10-2019 10:50 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bono (Post 963551)
I talked about this in many other threads, but simply you have something to lose and they don't. You care deeply about the project and they don't. You're 1 of many.

It's like how the fat kid (me) remembers any pretty girl that smiled at them in their dumb life and they would not remember that interaction. What is super important to my ego didn't even register as an event to them. Human nature.

Most basic is people hate to give bad news, so they don't say ****. It's not good, but that's most of it. Or they just said yes I'll read it and forgot entirely as they probably say yes to tons of **** and as the day goes on another email pops in the inbox and they literally forget.

Either way, I assume it's a "no" and move on with my life as it's just easier. I have friends that don't give me notes when I send them my scripts and I'm sure if I'm being honest I did that to my friends. And it wasn't on purpose. It was just like you had so much going on and you said "sure send it" and just forgot.

My long point is that's the business, that's human nature. I hate reading scripts myself especially my own.

The situation I'm in is a little different, though I've experienced this as well. This producer was genuine in his enthusiasm and naively thought it would sell based on the idea alone. In hindsight, his ignorance in developing/pitching TV is staggering. Never again with someone like this.

GucciGhostXXX 07-10-2019 11:39 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by docgonzo (Post 963550)
I'm going through this same exact thing right now.

I worked for months (for free!) on a TV pitch with a producer. The whole time he's engaged, excited, can't wait to get out there and pitch (never mind he has a handful of indie feature creds and zero TV experience -- guy knows f*ck-all about developing TV and it showed).

We pitch a few places. Couple of biggies. We get all passes, as one would expect from the likes of us with no big names attached. But he was hopelessly naive in thinking that we were going to sell. He really believed this. But me, being the more practically minded one, knew exactly what would happen.

We have one more pitch set up. We get some feedback from the other places. They were concerned about the series' longevity. They felt the story was thin and they weren't sure if it could last beyond a season (both issues I tried to address in developing, but because he knows jacksh!t about developing TV, he basically f*cked us from the get-go).

So with two weeks until we pitch, he wants me to go back to the drawing board and completely revamp it. Awesome, more free work for me! I come up with some ideas and we have a call. He doesn't like any of it. Well, f*ck him. But I play the good soldier (as I had been doing) and tell him I'll go back in again. Two days later I hand in a document. That's the Friday before 4th of July week. He doesn't respond. No "Thanks, I'll read and circle back." No acknowledgement of any kind.

I wait until after the 4th and email to see if he's read. Yes, he did. And again, he didn't like. But he said nothing the entire time. Keep in mind this is a pitch he was flipping over for months. He loved it. And then suddenly, he went Arctic f*cking cold. Why, who knows? Maybe he finally saw the writing on the wall. Maybe deep down he realized that he doesn't know what the f*ck he's doing (but given his clueless naivete, I doubt it!)

Regardless, this assh*le wants to cancel the last pitch. Fine, I say. Better to do that than go in with a pitch he's suddenly sour on. And to be honest, I was never that into it. He turned a cool idea into something I would never write or come up with on my own. We had a great world, and he reduced it down to a f*cking lame CW show. What the f*ck!

Anyway, I hear you! Some of these guys/gals are complete tools. It doesn't help that this particular producer is a former actor. But I digress. I really wish people would be straight up instead of pulling this silent treatment sh*t. Sack up, producers!

Eesh! This type'a sh!t infuriates me. Now the dude is gonna WALK from the last pitch?? What a d!ck.

I spent a year doing that, changing the show to the point that I no longer recognized it. Big producer (film), hadn't done TV that I know of. How do you go from "I fukkin love this!!" to ice cold on it? And worse. After a year of working on it for FREE (and me being very professional in handling notes and communication) you email my rep to tell them you're dropping off? WHAT?? That's just wrong. CALL ME and tell me to my face and THANK ME for all the hard work.

In a different situation, years ago, maybe I went to far (Ha! fukk it) a producer was such an absolute d!ck to me that I literally told him "I don't give a fukk who you are bruh... I ever see you again, Ima beat your fukkin ass dude! I'm from a gnarly world where that's how sometimes sh!t gets handled when you do bad sh!t to people. And you better not mention a word of this convo to anyone. Now go fukk yourself."

Never dealt with anyone THAT back stabbing. He deserved it. And I think he believed me, because I was serious. Safe to say I'll never work with that dude. LOL. What the fukk ever, bye clown!

*Disclaimer. I don't go around threatening people in this business (once ever). I'm utterly professional in every regard and treat people with respect. But, I have my limits as to the type of utter scum I'll put up with. That particular dude crossed the line, big time.

GucciGhostXXX 07-10-2019 12:14 PM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bono (Post 963551)
I talked about this in many other threads, but simply you have something to lose and they don't. You care deeply about the project and they don't. You're 1 of many.

It's like how the fat kid (me) remembers any pretty girl that smiled at them in their dumb life and they would not remember that interaction. What is super important to my ego didn't even register as an event to them. Human nature.

Most basic is people hate to give bad news, so they don't say ****. It's not good, but that's most of it. Or they just said yes I'll read it and forgot entirely as they probably say yes to tons of **** and as the day goes on another email pops in the inbox and they literally forget.

Either way, I assume it's a "no" and move on with my life as it's just easier. I have friends that don't give me notes when I send them my scripts and I'm sure if I'm being honest I did that to my friends. And it wasn't on purpose. It was just like you had so much going on and you said "sure send it" and just forgot.

My long point is that's the business, that's human nature. I hate reading scripts myself especially my own.

I hear you but it doesn't have to be that way.

Example: On this latest project I emailed a certain producer of my own accord, just reached out. I suppose you could say we're acquaintances, but not super tight besties. I probably shouldn't mention his name, but let's just say he's won Oscars for best pic twice in the last 5 years (You can probably figure out who I'm talking about, but let's not use his name).

Dude is obviously HELLA busy. I email him the pitch. Mind you, WITHOUT a logline (like I've said, I try to avoid them and don't really believe in them). Just told him the title, genera, and what it was about. Also told him why I believe it should be made, the social relevance (feature). If you saw my email, most writers would say "Wtf!? No, never pitch that way!" 10 minutes later he responds with "Sure, I'd love to take a look. Please send." My manager changes his mind, believes as a feature it's too compressed, can I redo it as a TV show, create a bible. Ton of work, but fine. I email this producer back and explain. He emails me back in under 10 minutes "No problem, send when ready." I email this producer later for a reason I forget. I look at my phone, oh crap it's Saturday, spaced. Bad form, right? Producer emails me back at midnight. Finally we send materials over. Few weeks go by. At this point my manager is like "Seems like he's more responsive to you, maybe you should just handle the dealings with him." No prob. I check in "Wondering if you've had a chance to take a look." No lie, 3 minutes later "I have not."

And that's where we're currently at. But my point is. If one of the most successful producers in the world can behave with class, so can everyone else. I've lost count of how many Oscars and Globes he has amassed in the last 5 years.

GucciGhostXXX 07-10-2019 12:20 PM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by docgonzo (Post 963562)
The situation I'm in is a little different, though I've experienced this as well. This producer was genuine in his enthusiasm and naively thought it would sell based on the idea alone. In hindsight, his ignorance in developing/pitching TV is staggering. Never again with someone like this.

Agreed! It's a bit like allowing someone to jump on as producer (manager) who's never produced.

My ex is attached as producer on a few projects and I'm like "WTF!? This chick has never been in a development meeting, never stepped foot onto a set, never been in post. How in the actual hell is she attached to these?" I know full well from living with this chick for 15 years that she knows literally NOTHING about how to make a movie. Deals? Sure. Movies? Zilch.

GucciGhostXXX 07-11-2019 03:48 PM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
I maybe shouldn't admit this, but. It's a thing that kinda bums me out. Speaking of GHOSTING.

So, Years ago my ex reps a writer. Me and this writer were kinda writing buds, we read each other's stuff, gave each other notes etc. Commiserated. Truth is, I was the better writer (I'll get to that in a sec). My ex would say to me that, while she really dug this person, their writing just wasn't that good and wasn't going anywhere. "Sadly I need to drop him." I'm like "No way! You can't. Just give him a little more time, he'll figure it out." So she didn't drop him. Months later, same convo "No! don't drop him." "Fine..." 2 years of this. Me fighting to keep him signed without him realizing I was the reason he wasn't being dropped. Around this time he comes to me with a film concept, asks me if I want to co-write it because he knows I'm better at said genre. I consider it, but ultimately, not really my jam. Sorry. Finally my ex says "I'm dropping him, sadly I'm done done this time." I'm like, "fair enough, you tried, but you can't just be like 'I'm dropping you, bye. That's not cool, he's a great guy." I'm like "Okay fine, let him go, but you gotta try to lead him into something else or he's gonna be crushed... HE'D MAKE A GREAT PRODUCER. I think you should suggest that to him." She's like "You know what, that's a great idea."

She drops him while also suggesting that he become a producer. He's bummed he's dropped, but appreciates the candor and advice.

A couple years later he sells something (as a producer) for a lot of money at a certain film festival. A couple years after that he's up for a certain award. A year or so after that he's the head of a certain high profile prodco. His rise, fast!

My point: He knows none of this backstory. I fought for him to not get dropped many times (all told 7-8 times? Over 2 years?) I then came up with the idea to suggest he aim at producing and would be good at it. That suggestion may have been what changed his life (Not taking credit for his HARD work, but it may have been the inspiration).

But now, he ghosts me. And I can't tell him how much I looked out for him without him knowing 'BRO, THAT WAS ME', because that would be bad form.

Oh well...

(and if you have a guess who I'm talking about, please don't say, because it may not be them. Not looking to offend anyone. Just being honest about what happened behind closed doors).

Bono 07-11-2019 06:27 PM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX (Post 963568)
I hear you but it doesn't have to be that way.

Example: On this latest project I emailed a certain producer of my own accord, just reached out. I suppose you could say we're acquaintances, but not super tight besties. I probably shouldn't mention his name, but let's just say he's won Oscars for best pic twice in the last 5 years (You can probably figure out who I'm talking about, but let's not use his name).

Dude is obviously HELLA busy. I email him the pitch. Mind you, WITHOUT a logline (like I've said, I try to avoid them and don't really believe in them). Just told him the title, genera, and what it was about. Also told him why I believe it should be made, the social relevance (feature). If you saw my email, most writers would say "Wtf!? No, never pitch that way!" 10 minutes later he responds with "Sure, I'd love to take a look. Please send." My manager changes his mind, believes as a feature it's too compressed, can I redo it as a TV show, create a bible. Ton of work, but fine. I email this producer back and explain. He emails me back in under 10 minutes "No problem, send when ready." I email this producer later for a reason I forget. I look at my phone, oh crap it's Saturday, spaced. Bad form, right? Producer emails me back at midnight. Finally we send materials over. Few weeks go by. At this point my manager is like "Seems like he's more responsive to you, maybe you should just handle the dealings with him." No prob. I check in "Wondering if you've had a chance to take a look." No lie, 3 minutes later "I have not."

And that's where we're currently at. But my point is. If one of the most successful producers in the world can behave with class, so can everyone else. I've lost count of how many Oscars and Globes he has amassed in the last 5 years.

Well I agree should be that way and I'd argue the most successful people are the ones that respond to emails from everyone the same way. That's why they are successful.

Satriales 07-11-2019 07:16 PM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bono (Post 963662)
Well I agree should be that way and I'd argue the most successful people are the ones that respond to emails from everyone the same way. That's why they are successful.

Was out for first round of generals last fall. A person who was in the midst of award season push and had an event that night - who could have easily bailed on the meeting or dumped me to their CE - kept rearranging the schedule to fit me in. Eventually met for coffee in BH on the way home prior to the event. There’s a lot of dinks with 40 year careers in the business but I’d assume it’s easier to get **** done if you’re a mensch.

GucciGhostXXX 07-12-2019 11:41 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
I agree with you both.

Little story of how I learned this: My buddy (not in "the industry") is super well off. Rich? He just bought another home, apartment in SF for 3.5 mil. He hangs with an ultra wealthy crowd. One of his BFFs is the Levi Strauss heir (who I've smoked weed with), that kind of wealth. I've hung out with these guys. Picture a driveway full of Lambos and Ferraris. Here's the thing, my buddy treats EVERYONE the same, from the homeless guy on the corner to a CEO, everyone walks away feeling like they're his best friend. That's why he's ballin'. That's a lesson I learned from him years ago. The reason he and all his friends are rich as fukk is because they're NICE to everyone and return calls etc. No ghosting.

And to any producers reading this, you may think you're a big shot and therefore don't need to be nice: but unless you have a Lambo, Ferrari, Bentley, 2 Range Rovers, and a classic Ford parked in your garage, you're not as rich as my buddy who's nice to everyone. So, maybe take a lesson from him on how to do business.

Mintclub 07-12-2019 05:26 PM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
I have a script that hit the market yesterday. Today I received an email from one of the producers the script has gone to, just to say “hey I’ve just had your script through. I’m looking forward to the read” I worked on spec for this producer a few years ago but we’ve not crossed paths much since. Said producer is an Oscar winner, president of a major production company and behind some of the biggest comic book movies of recent years. And STILL he found the time in his busy schedule (without any prompting) to reach out and say hello. Classy guy. And more to the point, nice.

docgonzo 07-13-2019 07:26 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintclub (Post 963701)
I have a script that hit the market yesterday. Today I received an email from one of the producers the script has gone to, just to say “hey I’ve just had your script through. I’m looking forward to the read” I worked on spec for this producer a few years ago but we’ve not crossed paths much since. Said producer is an Oscar winner, president of a major production company and behind some of the biggest comic book movies of recent years. And STILL he found the time in his busy schedule (without any prompting) to reach out and say hello. Classy guy. And more to the point, nice.

Awesome, good luck!

GucciGhostXXX 07-13-2019 11:13 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mintclub (Post 963701)
I have a script that hit the market yesterday. Today I received an email from one of the producers the script has gone to, just to say “hey I’ve just had your script through. I’m looking forward to the read” I worked on spec for this producer a few years ago but we’ve not crossed paths much since. Said producer is an Oscar winner, president of a major production company and behind some of the biggest comic book movies of recent years. And STILL he found the time in his busy schedule (without any prompting) to reach out and say hello. Classy guy. And more to the point, nice.

Rad! Good luck!

lumous 07-14-2019 06:12 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX (Post 963651)
I maybe shouldn't admit this, but. It's a thing that kinda bums me out. Speaking of GHOSTING.

So, Years ago my ex reps a writer. Me and this writer were kinda writing buds, we read each other's stuff, gave each other notes etc. Commiserated. Truth is, I was the better writer (I'll get to that in a sec). My ex would say to me that, while she really dug this person, their writing just wasn't that good and wasn't going anywhere. "Sadly I need to drop him." I'm like "No way! You can't. Just give him a little more time, he'll figure it out." So she didn't drop him. Months later, same convo "No! don't drop him." "Fine..." 2 years of this. Me fighting to keep him signed without him realizing I was the reason he wasn't being dropped. Around this time he comes to me with a film concept, asks me if I want to co-write it because he knows I'm better at said genre. I consider it, but ultimately, not really my jam. Sorry. Finally my ex says "I'm dropping him, sadly I'm done done this time." I'm like, "fair enough, you tried, but you can't just be like 'I'm dropping you, bye. That's not cool, he's a great guy." I'm like "Okay fine, let him go, but you gotta try to lead him into something else or he's gonna be crushed... HE'D MAKE A GREAT PRODUCER. I think you should suggest that to him." She's like "You know what, that's a great idea."

She drops him while also suggesting that he become a producer. He's bummed he's dropped, but appreciates the candor and advice.

A couple years later he sells something (as a producer) for a lot of money at a certain film festival. A couple years after that he's up for a certain award. A year or so after that he's the head of a certain high profile prodco. His rise, fast!

My point: He knows none of this backstory. I fought for him to not get dropped many times (all told 7-8 times? Over 2 years?) I then came up with the idea to suggest he aim at producing and would be good at it. That suggestion may have been what changed his life (Not taking credit for his HARD work, but it may have been the inspiration).

But now, he ghosts me. And I can't tell him how much I looked out for him without him knowing 'BRO, THAT WAS ME', because that would be bad form.

Oh well...

(and if you have a guess who I'm talking about, please don't say, because it may not be them. Not looking to offend anyone. Just being honest about what happened behind closed doors).


Sucks big time, I've had the same with business ventures and in my personal life. Sometimes you have to see almost feel sorry for some people, as they must have some issues deep down to be such a miserable version of a human being.

lumous 07-14-2019 06:20 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Basically a producer just hires smarter people to make a film and gets paid for it.

that's why so many a'holes in it.

GucciGhostXXX 07-15-2019 01:55 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumous (Post 963750)
Sucks big time, I've had the same with business ventures and in my personal life. Sometimes you have to see almost feel sorry for some people, as they must have some issues deep down to be such a miserable version of a human being.

Yeah, it's kinda weird. Now he's rich and famous and I'm a nobody. But, I helped him A LOT! He emailed me from the Oscars, but otherwise ghosts on MY projects. I just don't roll that way, I try my best to help people. Just feels right to me. I wonder what he'd think if he knew this. Would he care? Maybe not.

TravisPickle 07-15-2019 11:17 PM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
On a scale from one to ******* you are barely skimming the surface of the pathological shittiness that pervades our industry.

A decade ago I was in Paris as an exchange student, living the dream and studying film. A young, hot Hollywood producer read a draft of a script I wrote. She liked it but wanted to make it more Bourne identity. Gave me a bunch of very vague notes, of course she didn’t pay me a penny, but she was checking in regularly asking when I would have a draft ready. I sacrificed three months of my Parisian experience to sit in the kitchen of the apartment I was renting (the only room with wifi) and pound away thinking that this was my big break. I sent it to her. She didn’t like it. But what’s worse is: she didn’t even have the dignity to respond. She had her assistant drop me a rote two line email and then vanished. I will never forget that and I sincerely hope to cross paths with her so I can tell her what a pigfuk she was. Blew three months of my Parisian experience just because she half-assedly cooked up a note whilst taking a Monday morning monster shite.

Three things I’ve concluded:

1) producers think that this is normal behavior and therefore they act this way in a perverted attempt to emulate those who are successful and act this way. It’s the same reason why young producers will scream or throw things or act without a basic moral code. They read an article about Scott Rudin and they think ”oh ok. That’s how you play this game”. What they don’t realize is that there are many producers who keep their decency and still manage to be successful. They’re making a choice and so can you by not working with dip shits.

2) producers are so used to blaring out bullshit a la “I am so excited!“ ... “this will be huge”... “you’re gonna kill it” that when the dice is rolled and they come up short they’re basically left standing with their coks in their hands. So they wriggle their way into the shadows and hope that you forget all about it when it falls apart because inevitably they fear that you might point the finger at them for making grandiose and unfounded promises.

3) you have more power than you think. The power to never work with people who don’t act correctly, first and foremost. Getting ghosted might sting at the beginning, but you will get a weird thrill out of adding names to your kill list a.k.a. your list of people you will never ever ever consider working with. When you have that hot script that everybody wants to read, you will make a point to your agent that the bastard who ignored you doesn’t deserve to even know the log line to your latest masterpiece. Petty and vindictive , sure. But as Ferris would say “then again. So is high school”

You also have the power to pick up the phone or sit at your email and politely tell somebody to go **** themselves. I know this is probably not a wise decision politically, but people do this all the time and it actually might make you stronger in the long run. Because that producer will know that you are a temperamental unstable writer – also known as a genius.


Quote:

Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX (Post 963543)
I don't get this and never will:

So, a friend of mine intros me to a producer. He responds "Would love to read, will take a look this weekend."

Me: "Great. Look forward to your thoughts!"

WHAT THE FUKK EVER... basic b!tch response.

Dude flat out GHOSTS me. Dude never returns. Seriously? Who does business this way? Don't worry bro, never gonna check in with you. Our relationship is permanently dead. Tells me a fukk ton about someone's work ethic. That's a dude who would never get your back. Someone burns me like that, peace!

My gripe is... WHY am I the more professional one in ALL of these scenarios? Thought I was the flakey artist dude? Meanwhile I hand the script in on time or early. I communicate exactly when I say I will. I'm on my game hardcore. These people that much of a pu$$y? Bruh, just be like "Not for me man, later!" Okay, no worries bruh, been through this a billion times.

This industry is unnecessarily rude.


GucciGhostXXX 07-15-2019 11:48 PM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TravisPickle (Post 963815)
On a scale from one to ******* you are barely skimming the surface of the pathological shittiness that pervades our industry.

A decade ago I was in Paris as an exchange student, living the dream and studying film. A young, hot Hollywood producer read a draft of a script I wrote. She liked it but wanted to make it more Bourne identity. Gave me a bunch of very vague notes, of course she didn’t pay me a penny, but she was checking in regularly asking when I would have a draft ready. I sacrificed three months of my Parisian experience to sit in the kitchen of the apartment I was renting (the only room with wifi) and pound away thinking that this was my big break. I sent it to her. She didn’t like it. But what’s worse is: she didn’t even have the dignity to respond. She had her assistant drop me a rote two line email and then vanished. I will never forget that and I sincerely hope to cross paths with her so I can tell her what a pigfuk she was. Blew three months of my Parisian experience just because she half-assedly cooked up a note whilst taking a Monday morning monster shite.

Three things I’ve concluded:

1) producers think that this is normal behavior and therefore they act this way in a perverted attempt to emulate those who are successful and act this way. It’s the same reason why young producers will scream or throw things or act without a basic moral code. They read an article about Scott Rudin and they think ”oh ok. That’s how you play this game”. What they don’t realize is that there are many producers who keep their decency and still manage to be successful. They’re making a choice and so can you by not working with dip shits.

2) producers are so used to blaring out bullshit a la “I am so excited!“ ... “this will be huge”... “you’re gonna kill it” that when the dice is rolled and they come up short they’re basically left standing with their coks in their hands. So they wriggle their way into the shadows and hope that you forget all about it when it falls apart because inevitably they fear that you might point the finger at them for making grandiose and unfounded promises.

3) you have more power than you think. The power to never work with people who don’t act correctly, first and foremost. Getting ghosted might sting at the beginning, but you will get a weird thrill out of adding names to your kill list a.k.a. your list of people you will never ever ever consider working with. When you have that hot script that everybody wants to read, you will make a point to your agent that the bastard who ignored you doesn’t deserve to even know the log line to your latest masterpiece. Petty and vindictive , sure. But as Ferris would say “then again. So is high school”

You also have the power to pick up the phone or sit at your email and politely tell somebody to go **** themselves. I know this is probably not a wise decision politically, but people do this all the time and it actually might make you stronger in the long run. Because that producer will know that you are a temperamental unstable writer – also known as a genius.


You don't know how much I enjoyed your response. We def think alike!

Smash it bro!

lostfootage 07-17-2019 01:50 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
I liked it too! Travis Pickle, this one is worth saving. Been there, done that.

MargoChanning 08-28-2019 03:24 PM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX (Post 963543)
I don't get this and never will:

So, a friend of mine intros me to a producer. He responds "Would love to read, will take a look this weekend."

Me: "Great. Look forward to your thoughts!"

WHAT THE FUKK EVER... basic b!tch response.

Dude flat out GHOSTS me. Dude never returns. Seriously? Who does business this way? Don't worry bro, never gonna check in with you. Our relationship is permanently dead. Tells me a fukk ton about someone's work ethic. That's a dude who would never get your back. Someone burns me like that, peace!

My gripe is... WHY am I the more professional one in ALL of these scenarios? Thought I was the flakey artist dude? Meanwhile I hand the script in on time or early. I communicate exactly when I say I will. I'm on my game hardcore. These people that much of a pu$$y? Bruh, just be like "Not for me man, later!" Okay, no worries bruh, been through this a billion times.

This industry is unnecessarily rude.

Been there, done that. More than once. They suck.

GucciGhostXXX 08-28-2019 08:49 PM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MargoChanning (Post 966403)
Been there, done that. More than once. They suck.

Def! Fukkers!

NotTheBard 08-29-2019 03:45 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX (Post 963543)
I don't get this and never will:

So, a friend of mine intros me to a producer. He responds "Would love to read, will take a look this weekend."

Me: "Great. Look forward to your thoughts!"

WHAT THE FUKK EVER... basic b!tch response.

Dude flat out GHOSTS me. Dude never returns.


Completely understand this. But you know what's even worse? What's flat out and quite simply utterly disgusting?

When the prod says "Not for me, but if you got anything else you want to send in, do so/send in what you write next." And then you write some other stuff, contact the people who said that, asking if you can send it to them, and then they just say no or ghost you, after the fact.

GucciGhostXXX 08-29-2019 11:42 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotTheBard (Post 966459)
Completely understand this. But you know what's even worse? What flat out and quite simply utterly disgusting?

When the prod says "Not for me, but if you got anything else you want to send in, do so/send in what you write next." And then you write some other stuff, contact the people who said that, asking if you can send it to them, and then they just say no or ghost you, after the fact.

Yup... lotta crapy stuff happening in the industry.

But, I can maybe top that (not to out do you, just as an example of how crap people can be): I've known 2 producers for 10 years. Hung out as friends, went to their birthday parties etc, introduced to people like "He's fam!" One of them I messaged during the Oscars and said "Good luck, man! Hope you take home gold!" he gets right back to me "Thanks, man! Fingers crossed." But when I ask these 2 guys to read my script? I say, I can send direct or have my rep send........ GHOSTED!

I don't GET this town

NotTheBard 08-30-2019 08:19 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX (Post 966470)
Yup... lotta crapy stuff happening in the industry.

I don't GET this town

I understand the situations you mention, and that's indeed completely and utterly a**h**ish behavior. Such d**k moves. Problem is, you don't even have to look into the film industry to come across such atitudes.

Nonetheless, the problem with the things I mentioned from personal experience ("What you wrote not for me, but send in what you have next") is that it is clearly representative of disturbingly cruel and sadistic personalities.

I mean, why go to the trouble of telling me to send in something else, only to have a volte-face and tell me "No thanks" or just ignoring me, without even looking at the material.

Don't want anything else from me? Fine. Then don't ask for it, don't tell me to send the next thing in, as if you were just bluffing and got called out. That is not even some kind of polite rejection or whatever. It's just sheer cruelty. Maybe these people are just actually proud to be like that.

Disgusting.

GucciGhostXXX 08-30-2019 11:07 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
I hear you, this town is needlessly rude and cruel.

Agreed, don't ask for the new thing if you have no intention of reading it.

There's a certain producer (with 2 Oscars for best pic) who passes on me like: "Whit all due respect, we're unfortunately passing on this." Etc. Meaning he's NICE and POLITE about passing. He never says "Send me the next thing." But, one I have the next thing he's always read it. If the entire town functioned like that guy, it would be a better place to do business.

Unfortunately it's a sh!tshow out there!

MargoChanning 08-30-2019 11:10 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX (Post 966470)
Yup... lotta crapy stuff happening in the industry.

But, I can maybe top that (not to out do you, just as an example of how crap people can be): I've known 2 producers for 10 years. Hung out as friends, went to their birthday parties etc, introduced to people like "He's fam!" One of them I messaged during the Oscars and said "Good luck, man! Hope you take home gold!" he gets right back to me "Thanks, man! Fingers crossed." But when I ask these 2 guys to read my script? I say, I can send direct or have my rep send........ GHOSTED!

I don't GET this town

I've been at this for over fifteen years and things have definitely gotten worse. Unless you're an A-lister, and I know there are several here, the lowly screenwriter is expected to have "attachments" in place, to even be considered. Then, what the F*ck do we need producers for? Supplying kick-ass content isn't enough, apparently.

GucciGhostXXX 08-30-2019 11:35 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MargoChanning (Post 966498)
I've been at this for over fifteen years and things have definitely gotten worse. Unless you're an A-lister, and I know there are several here, the lowly screenwriter is expected to have "attachments" in place, to even be considered. Then, what the F*ck do we need producers for? Supplying kick-ass content isn't enough, apparently.

Right!?

I had a meeting at a prodco (think: superhero franchises) and I straight up asked them "You guys got any OWAs you're looking to fill?" They're like "Nope! We're looking for IP just like you..."

WTF? Then why am I here? And secondly, how the fukk can I compete with the IP you guys can get??

finalact4 09-03-2019 01:15 PM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
if it'll make you feel any better, i listened to a podcast with a top manager and he said that producers do the same to them. they get ghosted, too. all we expect is for them to be ****ing human.

AnyOtherName 09-04-2019 10:57 AM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX (Post 966499)
Right!?

I had a meeting at a prodco (think: superhero franchises) and I straight up asked them "You guys got any OWAs you're looking to fill?" They're like "Nope! We're looking for IP just like you..."

WTF? Then why am I here? And secondly, how the fukk can I compete with the IP you guys can get??

Right?! Like, they've got a) an entire apparatus built around finding IP, and b) the resources to pursue what they find. I am... a dude with Amazon Prime. When I DO find cool IP, the response is usually disappointment that it's old / not a best-seller / "hard." Uh, yeah.

GucciGhostXXX 09-04-2019 12:01 PM

Re: You're a producer, fo realz???
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AnyOtherName (Post 966736)
Right?! Like, they've got a) an entire apparatus built around finding IP, and b) the resources to pursue what they find. I am... a dude with Amazon Prime. When I DO find cool IP, the response is usually disappointment that it's old / not a best-seller / "hard." Uh, yeah.

TRUTH!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro