"We dropped the ball on Indiana Jones" Is Shia Lebouf's Career in Jeopardy?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We dropped the ball on Indiana Jones" Is Shia Lebouf's Career in Jeopardy?

At a press conference for Wall Street 2, Shia Lebouf just went out and said it finally: "we dropped the ball on Indiana Jones." (article below)

He said, going in to Wall Street 2, he was risking ruining another franchise and killing his career in the process. Could Shia Lebouf's career be gone if he keeps doing sh!ty Michael bay movies, then makes just as bad franchise killing films?

Personally I can't stand a lot of Shia Lebouf's nerdy self deprecating character acting, and don't think he has much of a future in real films unless he changes his acting style.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movi...spielberg.html

Re: "We dropped the ball on Indiana Jones" Is Shia Lebouf's Career in Jeopardy?

Indy 4 is the only film I've seen Shia in I think? He didn't help that film, but it was a pile of wreckage from the time Lucas started intervening at the script level, so I never really blamed him.

R.O.T.

Comment

This is an article about Shia taking the blame for that debacle of a movie -- I like that. And I like him.

And from a couple reviews for Cannes he's apparently the reason to see Wall Street 2, so he looks to be doing fine for himself.
      Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

Good for you, Shia! Your stock just went up a couple points in my book.

As for his career being in jeopardy? Not a chance. He may not have liked what became of TRANSFORMERS 2 or INDIANA JONES, but both films made massive bucks at the b.o, and that's all that matters to continued longevity in the biz....

Comment

Shia is going to be around forever. The kid is too talented.

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
            Good for you, Shia! Your stock just went up a couple points in my book.

As for his career being in jeopardy? Not a chance. He may not have liked what became of TRANSFORMERS 2 or INDIANA JONES, but both films made massive bucks at the b.o, and that's all that matters to continued longevity in the biz....
            Actually I'd strongly disagree with that notion, that B.O. success is the only thing that matters for talent's longevity. Certainly it has something to do with it, but there have been many actors with B.O. hits under their belts that have careers that crash and burn (JCVD, et al). If he only makes movies as bad as Indy 4 and Transformers movies then I think Lebouf's career will be over. But I think he's not that stupid, and is going real films with people like Oliver Stone to keep his career afloat.

Critical success, i.e. being part of good films, is essential to keeping a career afloat in the long term, and having fans that won't show up to a movie just because there are exploding cars in the trailer. We all know Michael's Bay's films and INDY 4 will be forgotten (if not already), but films like Wall Street (the first one, haven't seen 2) are "career making" films. Those are how people define their careers, and are remembered. That is what's essential to career longevity.

Comment

Shia is a star. He is the only person out there who has the 'watchability' and trajectory to become a superstar like Will Smith...meaning, he is the only young actor I can see powering dramas to to 150mill.

I think he shined in Transformers 1, especially since that movie is hard to shine in with all the horrible story and flashy monsters fighting.

Dude is the real deal and everyone knows it.

The only other dude I can see rising to superstar (not just movie star but superstar) status is that guy from Star Trek but it's way too early to tell.

I don't think there are any women who are on the verge of doing what Julia and Sandra have done. I'm not sure why. There are really talented women out there who I love watching, I think it might have to do with the way movies are made (or not made) these days.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post

I don't think there are any women who are on the verge of doing what Julia and Sandra have done. I'm not sure why. There are really talented women out there who I love watching, I think it might have to do with the way movies are made (or not made) these days.
                Not even Angelina ??

Of course, she doesn't do romantic comedies, which is where a lot of women gain traction and get to have meaty parts. Ann Hathaway was on her way up there for a while, set to be the next Julia, but now it doesn't seem like everybody's talking about her every five minutes like they were a year ago. Anybody know who's going to play Wonder Woman?

Shia also said that Transformers 2 was a pile of crap. Very rare for actors to ever diss a film they were in, but I guess he didn't think it would be an issue...

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq View Post
                  Actually I'd strongly disagree with that notion, that B.O. success is the only thing that matters for talent's longevity. Certainly it has something to do with it, but there have been many actors with B.O. hits under their belts that have careers that crash and burn (JCVD, et al). If he only makes movies as bad as Indy 4 and Transformers movies then I think Lebouf's career will be over. But I think he's not that stupid, and is going real films with people like Oliver Stone to keep his career afloat.

Critical success, i.e. being part of good films, is essential to keeping a career afloat in the long term, and having fans that won't show up to a movie just because there are exploding cars in the trailer. We all know Michael's Bay's films and INDY 4 will be forgotten (if not already), but films like Wall Street (the first one, haven't seen 2) are "career making" films. Those are how people define their careers, and are remembered. That is what's essential to career longevity.
                  First of all, "JVCD, et all" were / are not nearly as talented as Shia. As others have said, he's got that "watchability" factor...even in garbage.

Second, comparing a b.o. hit from "JVCD, et all" to one from Shia is ludicrous to the point of laughable. TRANSFORMERS 2 and INDY 4 cleared over $700 million domestically. EACH.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but JVCD, Seagal, Lundren and those of their ilk never had a film top $100 million domestically.

And lastly, Shia will have a very long and prosperous career on account of he knows how to play the game: do a monster summer film and then do one with a smaller profile but more prestige a la WALL STREET 2.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq
                    As for men, I think Joseph Gordon Levit (especially with Inception) will probably be the biggest new actor in some time, and could be a lot bigger than Shia Lebouf if he keeps doing films like Inception and 500 days
                    Totally. I think Gordon Levitt is the most exciting young actor working today and I think he'll be as big as DiCaprio. He's as good an actor as anyone his age and he has real range. He can do indie films and huge studio films.

Shia is alright. I don't know what kind of range he's capable of -- haven't seen all his films. I think there is a hole right now in his age group as the next big thing and Shia seems to have filled that, but I don't know how serious an actor he may be.

Comment

Zoe Saldana
                      Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq
                        As for men, I think Joseph Gordon Levit (especially with Inception) will probably be the biggest new actor in some time, and could be a lot bigger than Shia Lebouf if he keeps doing films like Inception and 500 days
                        what do you think of Ben Foster?
                        Originally posted by Great White Mark
                        Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

what do you think of Ben Foster?
                          To me, Foster seems like the next Christopher Walken more than a leading man. Great actor, but I just don't see him as lead material. Who knows though, right?

Comment

I find it insulting that Shia is taking this sudden righteous stand so people "trust my next film" by admitting Indy4 sucked. News flash: It's been TWO FRIGGIN YEARS since it's release! Where was Shia during the press junkets for this film? Oh, I know, PROMOTING the film!

"Spielberg needs to hear this." Ooh, such a tough guy. Yeah, I bet you were this tough two years ago when you were running about town touting this as the best Indy ever. We've already paid to see this crap and your heroics will not affect the BO or DVD sales one iota, of course Spielberg will shrug this off, what does he care?

Thanks for coming to our rescue Shia. You are still a douche for starring in what I consider to be the worst two films EVER made. You can spin it all you want.

Comment

Joseph Gordon Levitt is 29 (only 6 years younger than DiCaprio). I'd be hesitant to call him "young."

I read something recently that said Zac Efron might be the next major star. I don't know about that, really, although the trailer for his newest film did actually have a pretty meaty role.

Chris Pine, who was referenced above, definitely seems like a possibility. We haven't seen him in much, but I have a feeling his portrayal of Kirk in Star Trek won him major cred with the internet masses, who we all know can make or break a movie.

It's really going to be a few more years before another star emerges, especially given that there are still several leading men capable of drawing large earnings. Just because Will Smith is getting up there in Hollywood years (41), doesn't mean he's down and out yet.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Working...
                              X