Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like to discuss "Shakespear in Love"

Just read and viewed "Shakespeare in Love". It was on the assignment list 4 my last class, but we never worked on it. Figured I could learn something working on my own with it. It would be great learning experience to trade comments and thoughts on this.

Overall I found it to be an interesting take on Shakespeare. He needed inspiration in his life and found it in Viola. It was about writing "Romeo and Juliet" which he did as a parellell to his own situation. It was kind of like he was using subtext by writing a play to let the world know how he felt about Viola.

The conflict was immediate. First between the two theaters, then Will being blocked, needing to find decent actors to play the part, and also falling for Viola who is to marry Wessex.

At each turn things got more complicated and difficult for Will. His character was one I could feel for and bleed and cry with.

The pacing was good and his character and need was developed quickly, especially by bringing in Rosaline and other characters to interact and bring out who Will was.

The antagonists were developed and continued to create problems for Will, as well as his own inner conflict.

That's all 4 now, but would like to discuss it more.

Jennifer
    Last edited by pstudios; 10-11-2006, 09:32 PM.

Re: Would like to discuss "Shakespear in Love"

Before you sit down to take that exam or write the paper, you might want to make sure you spell "Shakespeare" correctly. As a teacher I would've cut the grade down by a whole point--i.e. "D" to "F"--for that kind of careless error.

Then, if you like, we'll try to convince you that the movie was completely fictional and bore little or no resemblance to the life of William Shakespeare as we know it from contemporary evidence or from the origins of his plays.

Comment

Not had your coffee yet, Jake?

I don't think the OP thinks the film is factual in anyway. I like Stoppard's work, especially Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead.

He write good and stuff.

Didn't he write a spoof of The Mousetrap?

Comment

What is it with the pathalogical patronage of self confessed film students by large portions of this boards members? Everytime any film student comes to this board and starts a thread they just get belittled. Not everyone who reads this board is an industry player or even a writer (I'm niether), but we all try to contribute to this board as best we can, so please lay off.
        Frosties are just Cornflakes for people who can't face reality.

Comment

Cyc, there are, to be honest, very very few players here. But when a student comes on, it's probably to his or her interest if we point out the kind of errors that enrage teachers (i.e. misspelling the name of the author you're studying), and also lead them in directions that may be more helpful.

Sure, I like Stoppard, as well, and up to a point, but there's the risk that some people coming away from "Shakespeare in Love" truly believe it to be an honest retelling of some portions of his life.

Comment

Jake. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that the OP was not in a lit class, but in a film class ... where spelling is much less an issue given that movies are watched, not read.

As to the "risk" that the movie might be taken as factual ... who gives a sh!t? Honestly, what does it matter?
            http://confoundedfilms.com

http://www.myspace.com/confoundedfilms

Comment

Ah, Hairy Lim.

Comment

Jake, I wasn't having a go at you, I'm sure you were just trying to help, but it is a problem with this board and has been for a long time. I have read this board for several years now and almost without fail when someone comes to this board and says they are a film student they just get made fun of, and told "we aren't doing your homework for you" when they don't even ask. Everyone is just very rude and then they don't come back and it just really bothers me. Why is is necessary to patronise and belittle someone and attach stigma because they are a film student?

Comment

so how bout the movie?

Comment

Hell, I've worked with students for years, both as a teacher and as (past and current) mentor. Many of them have kept up with me for over twenty years, and clearly have appreciated my work with them. So don't patronize me.

Comment

Jake, I wasn't having a go at you, I'm sure you were just trying to help, but it is a problem with this board and has been for a long time.

Once again.

Comment

Jennifer, it has been a long time since I've seen Shakespeare in Love, and I would no longer be able to rattle off the finer points of the plot off the top of my head. However, all the story points and conflicts you mentioned came back to me clearly as you described them. IMHO, everything you mentioned contributes to success of the film. The humor contributes a lot to the film, too.

Everything you noticed about the film are things a good screenwriter needs to be aware of -- getting the story started and keeping it going at a good pace; establishing a sympathetic character with goals, inner and outer conflicts, good forces of antagonism and plenty of obstacles to overcome. And it's too your credit you're doing it on your own initiative. Good luck.

Joan

Comment

Cyc,
                          I don't believe everyone to be rude on this board. There are lots of helpful members here who would take the time to help and share opinions in a respectful manner without the need to use sarcastic or insulting tones. The others will be dealt with accordingly.

For the record, I believe bad spelling to be one of Jake's petpeeves. I can vouch he did not mean any harm by his posts and was pointing at it.

Keep the thread going in the right direction, guys.
                          A talent for drama is not a talent for writing, but is an ability to articulate human relationships.
                          Gore Vidal

"Aisatsu Yori Ensatsu"
                          Money is better than compliments.

Comment

Tom Stoppard is an amazing writer. He has an uncanny ability to show "life imitating art" without boring the hell out of you when telling the same story twice. I directed "Hapgood" when I was in college and can safely say that some of his jokes and hidden puns were still being discovered weeks into rehearsals. So one of the things I would point out is that he typically has two types of humor working -- the first type appeals to the masses -- the second is there for the dry-witted scholars. That being said, all of his material warrants more than one read. -- good luck.
                            "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

I don't know why professors get so pissy about spelling Shakespeare's name right. Shakespeare himself spelled it about six different ways on different occasions.

Comment

Working...
                              X