Who's to blame for Jennifer Aniston's Career?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's to blame for Jennifer Aniston's Career?

Here's an L.A. times article just released on it http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_...ovie-star.html

Let's face it. When it comes to enduring mysteries, it's hard to come up with something more mystifying than how Jennifer Aniston became a movie star. After all, she's made an almost-unbroken string of forgettable movies that have rarely made a lot of money, a streak that looks like it will remain intact with the release of "The Switch" this weekend. So how did it happen? As it turns out, my favorite sports columnist, ESPN's Bill Simmons, has a provocative--and hugely entertaining--theory about how Aniston has managed to remain an A-list star, despite appearing in such hapless sludge as "Derailed," "Rumor Has It," "Management," "Love Happens," "He's Just Not That Into You" and "The Bounty Hunter."

Aniston's biggest hit was "Marley & Me," though it's something of a stretch to say that she was the driving force for the film's box-office triumph. Or as Simmons puts it: "They could have made this movie with Betty White playing Owen Wilson's wife and it still would have made $100 million." So why hasn't Aniston faded into obscurity, ya know, like Matt LeBlanc and some of the other "Friends" lesser lights?
    Personally I think the buck stops at the top, and she just has really bad tastes in movies/scripts. This next movie "The Switch" looks like she's never gonna learn, and have an utterly forgettable career. It's probably too late to turn it around by now.

Re: Who's to blame for Jennifer Aniston's Career?

TMZ bikini pictures?

Comment

How much does she get paid for a movie? And you consider here career a disaster?

People - women, in particular - like to watch her. Even with a crappy story she's kind of adorable. My guess is people keep going to watch her because they'd still rather spend a couple of hours watching her than almost anyone else.

Some of her smaller films have been very watchable - The Good Girl, Friends with Money, etc.

Not sure it will keep working for her, as even her faithful audience seems to be fading with all of these BO disappointments. But my prediction is that she only needs one good film to win them all back.
      sigpic

Website
      Tweets
      Book

Comment

the good girl was her best flick b/c she was playing against type.

but honestly, why do you really care?
        and if you do then write something for her.
        she'll definitely improve your career.

Comment

She's got a thriving film career as a lead actress. 99.9999999999999999% of actresses her age are lucky to book bit parts.

She's doing something right.

Comment

Okay, I get it, hollywood. In the "build'em up to tear them down" scheme of things -- this is the "tear'em down" time for her. Took'em long enough.

I am by no means an Aniston fan BTW. I'm no more surprised by her fame/popularity as am of Friends' popularity. One of the worst "high rated" shows in history, IMO.

BUT -- when she was on that show she was the bee's knees in all the magazines, etc. Why? ****ifIknow. But she got with her agent and realized...

"Hey, what if I play my FRIENDS character on a bunch of RomComs and make millions in the process?" And he said "GOLDEN!" And the rest is history.

My point? She's being what she's ALWAYS been. It's not like Friends was some deep, ground-breaking (or even funny) show. And NOW she's expected to be Meryl Streep all of a sudden?
            "U don' know me, muddafugga..."
            - Al Pacino, Carlito's Way

Comment

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
              She's got a thriving film career as a lead actress. 99.9999999999999999% of actresses her age are lucky to book bit parts.

She's doing something right.
              She's got that je ne sais quoi banality that middle aged female office workers in Piscataway, New Jersey have pinned to their cubicles. Right next to a picture of their fat family in front of the Eifel Tower in Las Vegas and a picture of Angelina Jolie with a black cross through her face.

Comment

It's looking less and less likely we will ever get to see those boobies.
                It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

She's very very funny and she's beautiful and eternally summer and all that. She played an interesting/relatable character on Friends and made a huge impact on audiences with that show... and that hair. Later having the most beautiful man in the world ripped out of her home by the evil talons of someone who was famous at that time for wearing her husband's (?) BLOOD around her neck.... Jennifer Anniston is a woman people empathize with and people like her. Also she's very funny. How many people that beautiful are that funny?
                  GO JEN.

Comment

I dunno. It's actually kinda convenient having an actress I don't care about whatsoever appear in all these movies I don't care about whatsoever. If Kate Winslet was competing with her for these roles I'd be disappointed. They're going to make these movies just like they're going to make vanilla ice cream, so I say consolidate mediocrity.

Comment

I thought that on FRIENDS they were all excellent comic actors, but I haven't really liked Aniston in anything I've seen since. My theory is that she is so afraid to become Rachel again that she has censored every comic instinct she has, which has resulted in virtually expressionless acting and incredibly dull performances.

That said, I read that the new romcom is supposed to be very smartly written and good intelligent fun. Which is always a welcome prospect since it's relatively rare in that genre.

Comment

Originally posted by omovie View Post
                        She's got that je ne sais quoi banality that middle aged female office workers in Piscataway, New Jersey have pinned to their cubicles. Right next to a picture of their fat family in front of the Eifel Tower in Las Vegas and a picture of Angelina Jolie with a black cross through her face.
                        Sounds like someone's jealous.

Comment

She was okay in Office Space.

Comment

I like her. She seems down to Earth and fun, and she's that approachable level of attractive that doesn't make me feel inferior. I could be her if I wanted to.

I don't like her kind of movie, but I do like her, so if I liked her kind of movie, I would go see it.
                            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
                              the good girl was her best flick b/c she was playing against type.

but honestly, why do you really care?
                              and if you do then write something for her.
                              she'll definitely improve your career.
                              Isn't this interesting.

Just as a quirk, in every script I write I've fashioned a large or small role for a certain actress (not Aniston) simply because we haven't seen very much of her for a decade. I'm sort of her "silent partner". It's like: Hollywood's forgotten about her, so resuscitating her career (if she wants it so) will parallel any breakthrough I have with my scripts.

Just a quirk. Nothing nuts about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X