Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cloning Christ" movie scam

I just found out that this whole movie set up was a scam by the author to try and sell more books:

Title: Cloning Christ
    Log Line: A genetic scientist discovers what may be the True Cross in Jerusalem and is thrust into a deadly game of cat and mouse when dark forces want him dead.
    Writer: Brad Weller
    Agent: n/a
    Buyer: Orion Publishing & Media
    Price: n/a
    Genre: Thriller
    Logged: 3/2/03
    More: Based on the novel by Peter Senese and Robert Geis. Brad Weller and Peter Senese will produce.

In an article in the JUNE 22nd issue of "Christian Retailing" magazine they reported that the author, Peter Senese, had been duping bookstores "including Borders) by telling them that he was the cousin of actor Gary Sinise and that he was in preproduction for a $100 million movie version of the book to star John Malkovich and Viggo Mortensen.
    The author set up several book signings and promised to appear along with the actors, but they were a no show.
    The production company, Orion Publishing & Media, is actually the authors own production company. So he basically sold himself the rights to his own novel then started issuing press releases in order to get himself some exposure and go on a book signing tour.
    Spokespersons from each actor say they have never heard of this guy or his movie.

So does this kind of stuff happen a lot? People making fake movie deals to try and push the book and/or other projects?

I wouldn't say it happens a lot as in news is broken about the deal in the press, but it happens. Sure. We've always said you can't take every deal listed here and or in the trades at complete face value. This town is all about hype and perception. People say they have deals or projects going when they don't -- all the time. To some extinct it's the nature of the beast.

Actors, for example, lie about their age to try to get parts or say they were "featured" in a movie when they just walked through the shot and you can barely see them. Producers claim to have first look deals or that "Paramount is big on their script" when all it means is that Paramount is the only studio that still hasn't said "no" yet after six months of waiting.

Most stuff is pretty legitimate but if you've never heard of the people or the company (and sometimes even if you have) then there is always the possibility the whole "deal" isn't quite as good or solid as it sounds.

Comment

Ah! Done Deal you summed it up nicely. Everything you said is what I ask myself whenever I hear people talk the talk.

Comment

The authors, who you've never heard of, are SOLE producers on a 100m$ movie vs, assoc. producers or something...that should tell you right there.

Slimier things have been done for a dollar, hey at least they have balls.

Comment

Re: "Cloning Christ" movie scam

I'm curious to get more details on what happened...
          "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

People in Hollywood lie?

I'm dissapointed

Aw

Comment

Could another lesson here be "don't write anything on assignment without getting some money up front"?

Comment

Cloning Christ has already been done in ''Revelation'' A decent movie. Catch it on DVD.
                http://wasitsomethingiwrote.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh, Mason, boy howdy, this is a GREAT story. What's keeping you from writing THIS as a script? Here's your pitch:

"It's The PRODUCERS meets PASSION of CHRIST"

By the way, I DO feel your pain.

Comment

Hey, it worked for The Last Shot.

Comment

I'm a staff member of Writer Beware, a publishing industry watchdog group. I'm following up on my recent blog post on Peter Senese and his Bookbeat TV project. I'd like to request that anyone who has had experience with Mr. Senese and/or Bookbeat get in touch with me. My email is [email protected]. Other contact information is here. Per Writer Beware's privacy policy, all information shared with Writer Beware is held in strictest confidence. Names and contact info will not be shared.

Thanks very much.

- Victoria Strauss
                      ----------------------------
                      Writer Beware Website
                      Writer Bewre Blog
                      Personal Website

Comment

Robert Downey Jr. doesn't have dogs?

Comment

I always had the idea for a comic book called RoboJesus.

A cult tries to clone Jesus but it goes awry, the Vatican seizes the clone replaces the missing parts with ... well you get the idea...

Comment

Originally posted by Slappynipsy View Post
                            I always had the idea for a comic book called RoboJesus.

A cult tries to clone Jesus but it goes awry, the Vatican seizes the clone replaces the missing parts with ...
                            aborted babies?
                            The Complete IfilmPro DEVELOPMENT FORUM (PDF)

Comment

Originally posted by BROUGHCUT View Post
                              aborted babies?
                              BRILLIANT

Comment

Working...
                              X