Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=83978)

figment 04-15-2020 06:00 PM

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UpandComing (Post 972310)
You don't have to do the "XYZ meets ABC" thing on the submission form. You are asked to provide such a description if you make the Top 100 (when you will have another form to fill out that asks for information such as a bio and 3 other scripts you want to submit as samples). That said, TB does not necessarily stick with the one you provided - it changed my description when it was published on the website. The description is not listed on the site until the final winner is announced.

As for Coverfly, I've never used that to enter Launch Pad, but I doubt that your logline is listed for everyone to see.

Thanks for the info, Up.

When I clicked the "submit" form it goes here, and says it's the "checkout via coverfly."

There's some other coverfly thing (or that same one?) that lists a bunch of scripts and the awards they got, right, and bios of the writers? I thought that was for this contest. (which imo, cheapens the writer, everyone listing a bunch of other scripts they couldn't get read or sold even though they are good and/or placed elsewhere...???)

I might not know what I'm talking about... I'll google...

https://tblaunchpad.coverfly.com/che...250.1563390095

manfredlopez 04-15-2020 08:09 PM

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad
 
The company Red Ampersand purchased the Tracking Board not too long ago. They let it be run independently from their other companies, but they do integrate the submission system with one of their other properties: Coverfly.

Coverfly has two parts to it. The back end management system that a lot of competitions hire out to manage their submissions. And their front, public side, where the 'Red List' exists, along with public profiles of writers who specifically opt in to become public.

When you submit to the Tracking Board, it sends you to the Coverfly submission platform. At this stage you are still in the private side. If you do nothing else and just submit, you will continue to be in the private side. Irregardless, the site will start computing a 'score' for your screenplay that has nothing to do with the Tracking Board or any other specific contests.

This score is their way of establishing a sort of FICO score for all screenplays that pass through their system, which is pretty much any screenplay submitted to any of the competitions that use their platform, which are quite a few. This score, at present, has no industry recognition whatsoever. But that may change if it catches on.

The Tracking Board itself is an awesome competition in my opinion if you manage to place. Some industry people do pay attention to it. Once you reach the Top 100, they will reach out to you with a detailed form to fill out. On it you will find a space for the X meets Y description. All Top 100 placers receive a free year-long subscription to the Tracking Board. This contest also allows you to keep upgrading your drafts with better versions, which I think is awesome.

UpandComing 04-15-2020 11:34 PM

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by figment (Post 972312)
Thanks for the info, Up.

When I clicked the "submit" form it goes here, and says it's the "checkout via coverfly."

There's some other coverfly thing (or that same one?) that lists a bunch of scripts and the awards they got, right, and bios of the writers? I thought that was for this contest. (which imo, cheapens the writer, everyone listing a bunch of other scripts they couldn't get read or sold even though they are good and/or placed elsewhere...???)

I might not know what I'm talking about... I'll google...

https://tblaunchpad.coverfly.com/che...250.1563390095


No problem. I last submitted in fall 2018, but (as manfredlopez alluded to) TB has since been purchased by Red Ampersand, which is why now you can only apply through Coverfly. As for the Coverfly sites, manfredlopez provided a good explanation for that as well.

figment 04-16-2020 07:16 AM

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by manfredlopez (Post 972315)
When you submit to the Tracking Board, it sends you to the Coverfly submission platform. At this stage you are still in the private side. If you do nothing else and just submit, you will continue to be in the private side. Irregardless, the site will start computing a 'score' for your screenplay that has nothing to do with the Tracking Board or any other specific contests.

This score is their way of establishing a sort of FICO score for all screenplays that pass through their system, which is pretty much any screenplay submitted to any of the competitions that use their platform, which are quite a few. This score, at present, has no industry recognition whatsoever. But that may change if it catches on.

Ahh... thank you, Manfred and Up. That clears it all up. I don't want to end up on the Red List, but entering the Launch Pad doesn't mean I will. BUT Red List will start developing a "score" for my script, regardless.

That sucks, imo, because as we all know scripts can change drastically for the better with just one revision.

---
Somewhat OT:

I don't like the idea of the Red List -- doesn't it take away the one thing that a manager/agent/industry wants which is for no one to see your script yet until it's been massaged and molded and then they can make a big splash with it? The "new" of it is what creates the passion?

When all these scripts are just tossed up there, pimped out like that, it just takes away the shine, imo. Like someone is trying to hawk a knife set door to door. I could be wrong. (I feel the same about the BL). ETA: the scripts themselves seem great!! It's not the scripts that I have an issue with, its that, have we really come to this? Ugh. Is it just me that hates this? Is this Red List good for writers, is it working for them?

For those wondering what the Red List is, here's the link:
https://writers.coverfly.com/the-red...nre&range=year

Shia Labeouf has a script listed (currently number 8) so its for anyone, apparently.

UpandComing 04-16-2020 08:43 AM

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by figment (Post 972331)
Ahh... thank you, Manfred and Up. That clears it all up. I don't want to end up on the Red List, but entering the Launch Pad doesn't mean I will. BUT Red List will start developing a "score" for my script, regardless.

That sucks, imo, because as we all know scripts can change drastically for the better with just one revision.

---
Somewhat OT:

I don't like the idea of the Red List -- doesn't it take away the one thing that a manager/agent/industry wants which is for no one to see your script yet until it's been massaged and molded and then they can make a big splash with it? The "new" of it is what creates the passion?

When all these scripts are just tossed up there, pimped out like that, it just takes away the shine, imo. Like someone is trying to hawk a knife set door to door. I could be wrong. (I feel the same about the BL). ETA: the scripts themselves seem great!! It's not the scripts that I have an issue with, its that, have we really come to this? Ugh. Is it just me that hates this? Is this Red List good for writers, is it working for them?

For those wondering what the Red List is, here's the link:
https://writers.coverfly.com/the-red...nre&range=year

Shia Labeouf has a script listed (currently number 8) so its for anyone, apparently.

Even though it automatically calculates a score, scripts on the site aren't automatically visible. You can choose the setting of "Private" if you don't want anyone to see your script/score, and to "Discoverable" if you want it to be public. That way it can supposedly benefit you if you get a high score.

I do know of a writer I respect who said her high scores on the site resulted in her being contacted by a few reputable reps, and even being invited to submit for some open assignments. So in a sense, it is like getting a high score on the Black List but it's free to promote your work.

Despite all this, I haven't heard much buzz about The Red List from reps/producers on Twitter or other platforms (only from writers excited that their score rose). So, as manfredlopez says, I'm not really certain it has much sway in the industry yet (e.g., I doubt it would mean much if you mentioned your score in a query letter).

Speaking of Shia Labeouf, he's still entering contests to promote his scripts this year. Whenever he places, he takes a slot from a writer who doesn't have CAA agents. Really wish he would just leave the amateur opportunities to people who don't have such advantages.

manfredlopez 04-17-2020 03:20 AM

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by figment (Post 972331)
I don't like the idea of the Red List -- doesn't it take away the one thing that a manager/agent/industry wants which is for no one to see your script yet until it's been massaged and molded and then they can make a big splash with it? The "new" of it is what creates the passion?

I think there are two distinct stages in a writer's career. When you are a known entity, then yes, the 'newness' factor plays a large part. But when you are completely unrepped and unvetted, no one cares if you have a new screenplay. They only care that you are not part of the 98% of the unwashed masses who stand no chance in Hell of ever becoming a pro (that's how they view it).

So, in order to prove your skill level is in the top 2%, you need some sort of outside confirmation. Getting an 8 on the Blcklst puts you in the 2%. Becoming a semifinalist on the Nicholl as well. Or having your feature screenplay produced by an indie director. There are several ways to skin the 2% cat.

In the case of the Tracking Board Launch Pad competition, they reportedly get over 5,000 submissions. And you guessed it, the Top 100 just happens to be 2% of that number.

figment 04-17-2020 08:40 AM

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by UpandComing (Post 972333)
Even though it automatically calculates a score, scripts on the site aren't automatically visible. You can choose the setting of "Private" if you don't want anyone to see your script/score, and to "Discoverable" if you want it to be public.

Thanks Up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manfredlopez (Post 972351)
So, in order to prove your skill level is in the top 2%, you need some sort of outside confirmation. Getting an 8 on the Blcklst puts you in the 2%. Becoming a semifinalist on the Nicholl as well.

Yeah, I get that. I've gotten Nicholl QF 4 times; got an "8" on the blacklist. The problem with that 8 on blacklist is it gets you downloads but then you have no way of knowing who's read your script, and you've not made any contacts from those reads, or gotten any feedback, so the whole thing is for naught in the end (plus you're out cash). I just didn't want to enter the Launch Pad contest only to have a script inadvertently end up on another site where anyone can download it.

Thanks all.

manfredlopez 08-15-2020 12:26 AM

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad
 
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to update it with the eventual outcome of having placed in the Top 25 of the Tracking Board Launch Pad competition.

I was contacted by a few directors and producers, and I entered into an option purchase agreement with a producer who has a first-look deal with Netflix and who has produced films with A-list talent like Sir Michael Caine, Katie Holmes and Emma Roberts. The good folks at the Tracking Board asked me to write a testimonial, which I gladly did. You can find it here:

https://tblaunchpad.com/how-the-laun...d-my-derriere/

Anagram 08-15-2020 12:50 AM

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by manfredlopez (Post 976969)
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to update it with the eventual outcome of having placed in the Top 25 of the Tracking Board Launch Pad competition.

I was contacted by a few directors and producers, and I entered into an option purchase agreement with a producer who has a first-look deal with Netflix and who has produced films with A-list talent like Sir Michael Caine, Katie Holmes and Emma Roberts. The good folks at the Tracking Board asked me to write a testimonial, which I gladly did. You can find it here:

https://tblaunchpad.com/how-the-laun...d-my-derriere/

Thanks for sharing Manfred, very inspirational. I almost think your next script should be based on your life. Best of luck!

Friday 08-15-2020 06:40 AM

Re: TrackingB vs Tracking Board Launch Pad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by manfredlopez (Post 976969)
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to update it with the eventual outcome of having placed in the Top 25 of the Tracking Board Launch Pad competition.

I was contacted by a few directors and producers, and I entered into an option purchase agreement with a producer who has a first-look deal with Netflix and who has produced films with A-list talent like Sir Michael Caine, Katie Holmes and Emma Roberts. The good folks at the Tracking Board asked me to write a testimonial, which I gladly did. You can find it here:

https://tblaunchpad.com/how-the-laun...d-my-derriere/


Your background is fascinating. That's a story in itself. :D


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro