Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls

Anyone check out this new series on HBO? I didn't expect it to "speak" to me, per se, on account I'm a guy, but I still enjoyed it. If the quality holds, I'll stick with it....

Re: Girls

Girls
    I was expecting pictures.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Comment

Originally posted by MacG View Post
      Anyone check out this new series on HBO? I didn't expect it to "speak" to me, per se, on account I'm a guy, but I still enjoyed it. If the quality holds, I'll stick with it....

The live picking are pretty slim on Sunday night, so although I am definitely not their target audience I also checked it out. HBO appears to be trying to hook a younger late teens, very early twenties audience with shows like this and How to Make it in America. I could see how both shows would appeal to them. This show had better writing and less gimmicks than HTMIA. Although I will be in the minority, IMO I think both work better as movies. With a single viewing, this one I think would have been a sure summer movie hit. Even written from a female point of view, on a weekly basis the whining slacker, entitled narrative you would think has to eventually reach a point where the audience is exhausted from it. The question is, will it be in a season or several? I may check it out again, but if the characters don't grow out of this stage quickly, I am going to have to hope that one of the writers snaps and writes one of the leads as a crack-HO.
      Last edited by SI_NYC; 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by christopher jon View Post
        I was expecting pictures.

I will sit in the corner with my DUNCE hat on as punishment....

Comment

I withstood 15 minutes, then I bailed.
          Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
            I withstood 15 minutes, then I bailed.
            +1 Most cringy thing I can remember.
            ScriptGal
            Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
            Fifteen Years Development Experience
            http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

I'm about to be forced to watch it with a female friend of mine when the next airing comes on. I really hope I don't end up sitting there and sulking....
              Fiction writers are demigods among men...

Comment

Lena Dunham's piece about losing her virginity is better than GIRLS.

http://rookiemag.com/2012/03/absolute-beginners/#dunham
                ScriptGal
                Screenplay Consultation & Analysis
                Fifteen Years Development Experience
                http://www.scriptgal.com/

Discount for DD Members!

Comment

Yeah, didn't do much for me either. Not funny enough to laugh, not dramatic enough to evoke concern.

On the plus side, was that Peter Scollari from Bosom Buddies?

Also nice to see the Mom from Freaks and Geeks, although I didn't like her character much. Why so much cursing?
                  "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                  - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

I thought it was great. Good, realistic characters. So far, I'm a fan.She's the Writer/Actor/Director/Producer. I'm also jealous, but still a fan. HBO has a clip of her and Apatow -about how he reached out to her after seeing Tiny Furniture. Pretty cool when Apatow reaches out to you.

Comment

Yeah, I didn't think it was terrible and I'm not the target audience but I dare say I preferred "Enlightened."
                      "I need someone who laughs at all my jokes. You know; honest feedback."
                      - C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

I made a point of watching the show because I am not in the target demo. That is, I thought it would be enlightening: Here is a show that was bought and produced, about this subject, here is how it was handled, here is what the dialogue was like, etc. I did get that from having watched; I was not entertained.

For me, the most entertaining aspect of the show was an ancillary one: The Front Row: Misreading Lena Dunham : The New Yorker.

That's a review of a number of reviews of the show. Here's an excerpt:
                        Some of the critical sociology sparked by the show reflects surprisingly cloistered prejudices. At Salon, Rebecca Traister declares that "Girls- is evidence that "Marriage-while still widely fetishized as some kind of goal-is no longer the only acceptable marker of maturity- (stop the presses!!!). Katie Roiphe, at Slate, worries that Dunham's depiction of unpleasant sexual experiences is "an old-fashioned moralism very sleekly packaged for a new age--as if the world would have no idea that sex could be fun unless they heard it from Lena Dunham. [...]

So why the sociology? Maybe, in part, because of the title. I'm reminded of the story behind the release of one of Jean-Luc Godard's most remarkable and least-heralded films, "A Married Woman- ("Une Femme Mariée-), from 1964. Its protagonist (played by Macha Méril) is a married woman who is having an adulterous affair. Godard's original title for the film was "La Femme Mariée- ("The Married Woman-), but French censors demanded that it be changed so as not to convey the impression that adultery is a characteristic of all married French women. Funny, but true; maybe if the show were titled "Those Girls- or (with apologies to the Stones) "Some Girls- or "The Lena Dunham Show,- attention would (appropriately) be set on the desire to create, the desire to succeed, the desire to live, the desire to (in a particular, decisive way) exist. Or maybe the problem is an intrinsic property of television, which puts a seriocomic series on the same footing as breaking news, political talk shows, and ball games, making them seem like a live feed from the outside world.

Comment

Originally posted by gridlock'd View Post
                          Yeah, didn't do much for me either. Not funny enough to laugh, not dramatic enough to evoke concern.

On the plus side, was that Peter Scollari from Bosom Buddies?

Also nice to see the Mom from Freaks and Geeks, although I didn't like her character much. Why so much cursing?

Because it's HBO, silly.

And yes, that was Peter Scolari as Lena's dad. He was also on "Newhart".

I tried to get a background extra gig on this show, but no go. Maybe if the ratings are good, I'll get a chance to work on the second season.
                          "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Tuned in again out of curiosity and I am revising my opinion and out on this one, which if you are not in their early 20s female target audience is definitely more predictable on this show than others that I manged to sit through. There was a line in this latest episode where one character said to another " you are so self involved", which IMO sums up this series. Thought it is an exercise in slacker navel-gazing with incredible superficial characters that have little or nothing to say of any importance, and what little humor surfaces is so dry that when this goes to DVD the package should have a warning that it contains desiccant.

My final thought was too bad the creators didn't aim higher. If they had walked around the city and observed and then portrayed some NY young women who have had a lot more to overcome than self-absorption, they would have had a funnier show with much more sympathetic characters.

Comment

saw the pilot tonight - loved it.

Comment

Working...
                              X