Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   producer looking for dog scripts (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=3847)

snowman 04-02-2005 12:35 PM

producer looking for dog scripts

I heard there is a producer looking for family scripts with dogs/kids and Horses (in inktip newsletter).

Does anyone have the contact info?

If so, could you please email me at:

junkyarddog@eriecoast.com

Thanks

Snowman

LoganSF1 04-02-2005 03:10 PM

Spend $40 and get the scripts wanted letter. It's $20 if you have a script placed on the site.

mray65 04-02-2005 10:09 PM

Or take a big chance with this guy: losangeles.craigslist.org...44343.html

snowman 04-06-2005 05:56 AM

producer looking for dog scripts

I come from a town where if you are standing in line at the grocery store and someone is a dollar or two short, you give it to them, or if your neighbor runs out of gas while he's cutting his grass, you take him over the gas can and fill it up.

And in my 15+ years of writing, I have spent my fair share of money on writer's markets, Creative Hollywood directorys, Writers digest magazines, agency annuals, and other helpful information. If I had all the money back I have spent on my career and markting my scripts and bought lotto tickets I would probably be far better off financially.

But I have never turned anyone down who has asked me for information or even thought of turning them down because I "paid" for that information and they didn't.

In fact I've always been willing to help and share any info I get especially when producers tell me they're not looking for family scripts but want horror, to others who may have something along those lines.

I guess I'm a little hurt and disappointed that nobody that could, was willing to share this simple information with me when I've always been willing to help others.

And when you're paying a mortgage, insurance, property taxes, utilities, $2.35 a gallon for gas, and 3 bucks for a gallon of milk, and the other high cost of just living, sometimes you just don't always have an extra 40 bucks or so to pay for a piece of information.

snowman

LoganSF1 04-06-2005 08:32 AM

Get a third job. I did.

landis26 04-06-2005 09:46 AM

Snowman -

Maybe the people that are visting this thread don't have the info you need. Give it a few more days.

Landis

John1Paul2 04-06-2005 12:59 PM

Snowman,

If you put your email address in my inbox, I will send it to you.

snowman 04-06-2005 07:04 PM

producer looking for do scripts

Just to let you know someone with a big heart helped me out. So, thanks for all the supportive letters. And thanks John Paul, but I got it.

And as for a third job, when would I have time to write?

Snowman

snowman 04-07-2005 11:15 AM

Re: producer looking for do scripts

Having slept on it I guess I should, and do apologize to those of you who "could have helped" but didn't because of your ethics. I do respect that and wouldn't want anyone to comproise what they feel is right or wrong. So please accept my apology.

I guess it was just the info money thing that bothered me the most, as our society is getting more me, me, me. I'll probably drop down the 40 bucks here soon and join the club just as I did for my new HCD from Amazon a few weeks ago. After all money is just paper with numbers printed on it. And I can always deduct it from our pizza delivery guy's tip. (JK)

But I guess when you've been writing for a very long time and you see a lead that is so promising waiting for you on the otherside of the door, you sometimes try to get that door open somehow whether it locked or just jammed.

In any case, I am thankful for all the fellow screenwriters that I have met from all this nonsense. Again my apologies to all!

Snowman

John1Paul2 04-07-2005 12:18 PM

Re: Producer looking for Dog Scripts

So, did you get a request for your script?

snowman 04-07-2005 01:08 PM

Well, I sent the query late last night about 9 pm and today when I logged on about 12 oclock, I discovered that my yahoo mail is having problems and I can't get into it or hotmail. It says I do have a message, so until that is fixed I won't know? But I will be sure to let you know how it turns out.

Snowman

snowman 04-10-2005 12:50 PM

Here it is several days later and no word from the producer.
I guess I was an idoit for thinking someone who wanted dog scripts would want to read them, when three production companies requested one of them last month that weren't even looking for dog movies?

snowman

DUCPHO 04-10-2005 05:50 PM

Do you think they would be interested in a tag like;

Jaws on Paws?

LOG-A lovable family pet turns into a vicious killer after being infected with rabies!:lol

Actually, and in a more serious vein, I once had a concept for a Viet Nam War project that focused on a scout dog handler and the relationship between he and his dog, there was incredible bonding that took place between these dogs and their handlers under such circumstances and within such an environment.

I spent some time at a place called LZ Bronco(infamous for being the base camp out of which the 11th Light Infantry Brigade(Americal Division) worked... and whose third Battalion had elements implicated in the Mia Lie Massacre)!

Well, getting back to the original point, there was a scout dog Detachment and kennels at LZ Bronco and I got to know some of the handlers and their dogs. They even had their own vet clinic and all... very organized. They supported the 11th Light Infantry Brigade units within the field.

The dogs were assigned ID numbers and wore dog tags! When they were "hit" in the field they were medivaced out same as any "grunt"! I personally witnessed such an evacuation while flying with elements of the 174th Assault Helicopter Company out of LZ Bronco while it was flying support for the 11th!

The ground Comander's RTO called in for a medivac and when we landed they placed a dog, a German Shephard, onto the floor of the cargo area atop a poncho liner, his handler, just a young kid also jumping in!

The dog was hit bad and bleeding and all I remember was him licking this kid's hand and the kid, hell, I was just a kid then too, a Corporal or something I think, balling his eyes out and stroking the dog's neck! That particular dog made it!

When they died... they were never left behind!

There is a memorial honoring Military Scout Dogs in front of the University of Tennessee's School of Veterinary Medicine in Knoxville, Tennessee.

Anyway... someone beat me to it!

snowman 04-11-2005 11:02 AM

Ducpho,

You have my greatest respect and admiration for serving this country. And yes, I've heard the stories of military dogs sometimes giving their lives in action for their handlers.

This country is a far greater place to live in because of the dogs that serve in the miltary and on the police force, and a movie would be-fitting them and probably do well at the theaters. But since you have the most experience I guess it's up to you to write one.

Snowman

LoganSF1 04-11-2005 11:52 AM

Re: Dog Scripts

I was hired to write a script about a K-9 handler in Vietnam last December. I believe the script is at a major studio now.

DUCPHO 04-11-2005 01:56 PM

Ah sooo.... LoganSF1... you the one!

I'm going to see a root woman tonight here in the hills and having a hecht placed on'ya!:lol

Actually had the idea years ago, but like so many got placed on the back-burner! This has happened to me many times during my lifetime... having a story idea only to pass on immediately executing it and then eventually seeing something close to the topic hit the market.

I keep a notebook of story ideas that I look back through when seeking ideas. I enter ideas as they come. Have done so for years.

Same thing happened with "We Were Soldiers", I thought about a script about the battle of La Drang Valley as early as the seventies... but other priorities took precedent.

That's life though... "YOU STOLE MY STORY"!:lol

LoganSF1 04-12-2005 12:57 AM

Actually the gig came about after I trained a personal protection dog for a director's family. I have a background in military and police canine training.

snowman 04-12-2005 11:30 AM

Logan.

Did you train german shepards or dobbies? I wish I had ran into you ten years ago when we got our Mini Pin and toy fox terrier, I could have used some good advice on training them!

Snowman

LoganSF1 04-12-2005 02:17 PM

Snowman,

I only buy and train Sheps & Belgian Malinois from Europe for police and personal protection. No American bloodlines. Most, not all, of the dogs here have had the drive and prey bred out of them for looks. For narcotics work, most breeds can be used. Our Golden Retriever was the first certified "Gun" detection dog in the US. Something neither the feds or police had until several years later. We were often called out to crime scenes or vehicle pursuits to track down a discard weapon.

A Pathetic Writer 04-12-2005 02:21 PM

Logan, I have a schipperke.

Two, actually.

And an emergency backup Yorkie.

snowman 04-12-2005 04:14 PM

Logan,

Have you had any producers ask you for help in traning any dogs for film work?

Snowman

LoganSF1 04-12-2005 09:49 PM

Yes, I have been asked to train certain dogs for film. No, I won't do it. Not worth my time and there are people who specialize in that field.

John1Paul2 04-13-2005 02:48 PM

Did anyone hear back from this guy? Or did he change his mind about wanting a dog script:)

snowman 04-13-2005 09:35 PM

Never heard anything from him. So maybe he got flooded with dog and horse stories, or has totally changed his mind and is gonna do a cat movie?