Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A Sony exec is will have my script tomorrow (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=4170)

WritingPro 08-25-2004 11:58 PM

A Sony exec is will have my script tomorrow

Hi fellow writers,

This time tomorrow, a Sony exec will be given my script by an assistant, who said "the script is wonderful." Now, I am excited about this, because I got to this level by an act of God. I am serious. I didn't go through an agent or a manager. I worked hard on my screenplay, and I got it in the hands of an assistant at Sony pictures. According to the assistant, she said that the exec knows all about my script, and he is expecting it tomorrow.

Now in the event that he love my script and want me to come in for a meeting. Do I contact an agent? I'm sure I do, but what do I say to the agent to get the agent to rep me for the meeting?

Any suggestions....

WritingPro 08-26-2004 12:02 AM

Correction...

The subject header was typed too quickly; it should read:

A Sony exec will have my script tomorrow.

*I am working on my next script, so my mind is all bogged up with information.

jimjimgrande 08-26-2004 12:19 AM

um - maybe you should look at this the other way around.

A sony exec who likes your script and likes you after a meeting is the best person to refer you to an agent.

You are looking to make an ally, not negotiate a deal.

If you do get a meeting, be ready to talk about what you've done as a writer, what you are working on, and what you are planning to write next.

Bill Marquardt 08-26-2004 10:25 AM

I have not made it past the phone call stage, but the pro's here usually recommend having something else to show. Typically the producer will like the writer's style but want something other than the script in hand.

Jim's advice is right on, from what I've been told. Ask him to recommend an agent if the conversation comes to that point.

Ethel Abramowitz 08-26-2004 03:05 PM

Writing Pro:

Don't let the negative talkers here hold you back. Sony may like the script they are reading; and want to buy THAT. There are plenty of good writers; but few great concepts.
I get tired of the rap about how you have to have 20 great screenplays before you can sell one; maybe they actually like the Writer's ONE screenplay. I'm certainly not going to write 20 generic stories when I could be focusing on a uniqe and commercial one. Next thing I know; I'll see my idea on HBO and say...why didn't I stick with THAT?
Just go in there and be yourself. If you have more than one script, that's good. But in the meeting they'll be concentrating on your one script, so if that's all you have, don't worry.

Pittsfield642 08-26-2004 04:27 PM

Sony

I think Jim's advice is pretty solid. He brings up a good point to think about. These are things that happen at meetings. My writing partner and I always try to prepare for anything they might throw at us. It sounds corny, but there's nothing worse than dead silence after you are asked a question. We always carry a pitch sheet with us (4 copies), two for us and two for them. If they go beyond the five scripts we have, we just hand them this pitch sheet and they can follow as we pitch the ideas plus they have something to go back to later. It usually has five to seven story ideas on it.

I don't think I've ever been in a meeting where only the one script was talked about. It always ends up with them asking us about other scripts and ideas.

Best of Luck,

Pitt

E J Pennypacker 08-26-2004 04:59 PM

Re: Sony

Execs always wanna know what you're working on next. They want to know that you aren't a one-trick-pony. I'd beef up some other concepts (if that's all you have) in preperation when the question comes.

G-luck and keep us all posted :)

EJ

Hamboogul 08-26-2004 05:01 PM

Re: Sony

sometimes they ask "what else are you working on?" when they don't really care. they just ask to fill time and they ran out of things to say after 5 minutes.

it's comparable to "how's the weather?" Yeah, you can give the weather report but do they really need to know when they can look outside? No.

Bill Marquardt 08-26-2004 09:49 PM

Ethel ?

I don't see a single negative comment in this thread so I am not sure why you prefaced your remarks that way. It will be great if the guy loves Bobby's script, but any pro I've ever spoken with will tell you that having something else to show is a good idea. The producers I have talked to always asked what else I have going on.

jimjimgrande 08-26-2004 10:05 PM

HIJACK ALERT

THREAD HIJACK ALERT

The question was whether to have an agent prior to a possible meeting with an exec and if so how to get one.

Edited to include: Imustbelosingmymind. Suddenly I am the sticktothesubject police.

I should probably be ignored entirely.

DUCPHO 08-26-2004 10:28 PM

Re: The Real Deal!

If this Sony exec likes your project and something comes out of that you will not need to worry about an agent, they will supply one to close the deal if you are not repped!

If you close the deal with Sony and the movie actually gets made and makes money you can pick an agent!

If he likes it enough to option it but it never gets made you can still say you "flew with the big boys" and pocketed some serious change!

If he reads it and does not like it, perhaps he'll give you some great notes!

In any event you can't lose, so good luck!
-----------------------
:eek

Ethel Abramowitz 08-26-2004 11:22 PM

Re: Ethel ?

I agree with what Hambogul indicated(Just my interpetation, Ham; if you meant something different, I apologize). They might be asking about the other scripts because the one they called you in for wasn't the great concept they were looking for..maybe they just like your writing. I'd rather not give a big spiel about all my other stories if I really think they are weak and "done before."

Inotherwords, I don't even know if I am a great writer. Perhaps I'm inspired to write because of my "great idea." I find it hard to come up with a lot of great concepts that I think Hollywood is breaking down doors for...and judging from the movies I see coming out the pros are too.

I just have, what I consider to be, one great concept so what I've done is stretch it from a feature to a series; that includes animation. Sort of like Star Wars or the Rocky series, that went on and on...I havent seen anyone try what I've done so I persevere, hoping I find that producer that says..."why didn't I think of that?" I get plenty of requests, so I rewrite and revise with the help of experienced writers, hoping I'll hit my mark. I haven't been discouraged.Hollywood doesn't know a great idea until it hits them; and if it does, you just have to hope they don't steal it.

All I say to Writer Pro is not to let it hold him back if he only has one or two good scripts, if they are great it might be enough.

Now If you all can come up with twenty great concepts; then more power to ya, I guess you're more creative than me. :smokin
P.S. I wasn't aware that a thread couldn't be hijacked; to stress a different issue that was already brought up here. Writer asked about getting an agent; then someone wagged their finger and said he better have a list of pitches..that wasn't what he asked.

WritingPro 08-26-2004 11:25 PM

Thanks to all

I wish to thank everyone for their insightful comments regarding my situation. The exec has my script now, and I am hoping to hear something soon. Although it may be longer, since it is "one of the big boys in Hollywood." Any way, I will definitely let you all know the outcome, once everything pans out.

Another question, since we're on this subject. Isn't the primary job of an executive, is to find great material for the studio?

jimjimgrande 08-27-2004 02:19 AM

Re: Thanks to all

Quote:

Isn't the primary job of an executive, is to find great material for the studio?
Maybe not primary - duties would include

-finding material
-developing material
-overseeing projects in development
-creating and maintaining relationships with writers, directors, and actors
-tracking projects being developed at other studios
-working with producers both on-the-lot and independent
-stocking bottled water for Hamboogl

and more stuff I can't think of cause it's late

Hamboogul 08-27-2004 02:44 AM

Re: Thanks to all

what i want more than anything else is a cold bottle of Diet Pepsi with at least 10 weeks left in the expiration date.

OkeyDokey 08-27-2004 12:33 PM

the primary job of an executive

Good lidt, jim.

From what I can tell, at least 80% of an executive's job is meetings. :)

jimjimgrande 08-27-2004 08:23 PM

Re: the primary job of an executive

80% meetings is a hard day:b

a regular day is 80% percent phone calls - 20% lunch

tough, but someone has to do it.

and sometimes they read scripts and go to screenings but that's evening and weekend work

filmcarver 08-28-2004 03:21 PM

Re: the primary job of an executive

Ethel...It sounds like the point being made was to stick with your opinion on the original post rather than a curve ball related to other's comments...a common malady on this board.

Best of luck with your meeting with Sony.