Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Films (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Ghostbusters Trailer (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=80430)

Crayon 08-09-2016 12:22 PM

Re: Ghostbusters Trailer

My stupid girlfriend wanted us to go see that stupid new Ghostbusters movie - so I gave her a damn good slap for neglecting to accept all the bad reviews. After that, she was happy to see Independence Day: Resurgence instead. Good times :)

FoxHound 08-10-2016 02:00 AM

Maybe it under-preformed overseas because it looked like a stupid movie.

cvolante 08-10-2016 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpandComing (Post 941382)
That is a poorly supported statement.

1) Ghostbusters is a sequel to a comedy made long ago. So is Zoolander 2, whose original film was much more recent (2001), which should've generated strong interest. Zoolander 2 only made $27.1 million in foreign sales (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=zoolander2.htm). Was that because it was led by a man?

2) Ghostbusters is an action comedy starring a box office comic star (Melissa McCarthy). So is Central Intelligence (Kevin Hart). Central Intelligence only made $80.1 million in foreign sales (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...elligence.htm). Was that because it was led by men?

3) Ghostbusters did not get a release in China. Star Trek Beyond (another sequel in a beloved franchise) also hasn't opened in China yet, and its foreign box office is $66.5 million -- about the same as Ghostbusters (http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...rtrek2016.htm). Was that because it was led by men?

The point is, there are several possible factors that may explain why the movie did not perform as well as projected internationally (the fact that it didn't open in China, which drives significant box office; the fact that comedies usually don't perform as well overseas as other genres; and the fact that sequels in general have underperformed this summer). It's kind of lame that you would automatically assume that it's performance is due to the fact that it's led by women. It's kind of lame in general when Hollywood blames a movie's performance on gender.

You, Sir or Madam, are rather awesome.

UpandComing 08-10-2016 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvolante (Post 941403)
You, Sir or Madam, are rather awesome.

Thanks : ) I'm merely a Sir who finds the continuing efforts of men in the industry (and of men who hope to get in the industry) to de-legitimize female-led movies tiresome. Especially when those claims can often be easily debunked with hard data. It's time we evolved already.

Crayon 08-10-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxHound (Post 941401)
Maybe it under-preformed overseas because it looked like a stupid movie.

I've heard that box office takings for the all-girl Ghostbusters have been particularly poor in places such as China, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Pakistan, South Africa, Jamaica, Vatican City, Peru, Philippines, Brisbane, and Texas. Modern, liberal, progressive audiences clearly wanted a much more cerebral script.

Crayon 08-10-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpandComing (Post 941408)
Thanks : ) I'm merely a Sir who finds the continuing efforts of men in the industry (and of men who hope to get in the industry) to de-legitimize female-led movies tiresome. Especially when those claims can often be easily debunked with hard data. It's time we evolved already.

Sadly, it can be inferred from 'hard data' that female-led movies make less money.

In a global market, movies face global misogyny.

In one of my two scripts-in-progress - an action fantasy blockbuster - the lead role is female.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~ Mr Gandhi

[No-one ever mentions if Mrs Gandhi agreed with that.]

UpandComing 08-10-2016 02:14 PM

Forgive me -- I'm not interested in lessons on misogyny from someone who makes jokes about slapping his girlfriend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crayon (Post 941386)
My stupid girlfriend wanted us to go see that stupid new Ghostbusters movie - so I gave her a damn good slap for neglecting to accept all the bad reviews. After that, she was happy to see Independence Day: Resurgence instead. Good times :)

Crayon 08-10-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UpandComing (Post 941415)
Forgive me -- I'm not interested in lessons on misogyny from someone who makes jokes about slapping his girlfriend.

OK, honey, keep your wig on.

It wasn't a joke - it was a satirical device to mock masculine dominance and double standards, and to dramatise the blunt point that box office success/failure is as much dependent on the qualities of cinema goers as it is the qualities of a movie.

Misogyny is an enduring tradition, and for many (for most?) life is a power struggle - even when it's just a trip to the movies with their significant other.

figment 08-10-2016 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crayon (Post 941421)
Misogyny is an enduring tradition, and for many (for most?) life is a power struggle - even when it's just a trip to the movies with their significant other.

Yes, misogyny is an enduring tradition, like Christmas egg nog and brined turkey at Thanksgiving, it's meant to be cherished and its secrets passed down for future generations.

HONEY, what the hell are you even talking about?

UpandComing 08-10-2016 05:40 PM

Quote:

It wasn't a joke - it was a satirical device to mock masculine dominance and double standards, and to dramatise the blunt point that box office success/failure is as much dependent on the qualities of cinema goers as it is the qualities of a movie.

If that was satire, then you suck at it.

Quote:

You need help.