Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diablo Cody article

LA Times article on Diablo Cody for her new film, Ricki and the Flash.

Though still unconventional, she seems to eschew "fame" now.

So, my question is -- do you get to be Diablo Cody if you weren't a vehicle for everyone's ire/love/gossip to begin with? Because a lot of that hoopla over her being a stripper and whatnot (imo) led to her getting a ton of work that if she were just some average new writer girl -- she wouldn't have gotten those opportunities? Thoughts?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ry.html#page=1

I always viewed her and someone like Max Landis as being similar -- known for behavior first, and their scripts second. Don't know if that's fair, though.
    Last edited by figment; 08-11-2015, 05:37 AM. Reason: clairify

Re: Diablo Cody article

I think Cody is an extremely talented and classy person. I didn't care for Juno and wrote her off like many people, then I read Young Adult and felt like she made a huge leap in her writing and voice.

I think she's proven herself time and again, with her TV show, with winning an academy award and with writing funny, mature films. To me, she could very well be the female Alexander Payne. Also, she's known for her writing first and foremost. Yes, she has a public persona. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be a public figure. She's a charismatic, witty person and someone many young females look up to. and I understand her not wanting to be a part of that as well.

I like her a lot.

Comment

I think that anything that makes you stand out in some way can make people more interested in meeting you and thus, help you get more meetings. Hollywood is a people business, so people are understandably drawn to others with intriguing "stories". Especially when it comes to screenwriters, who are not traditionally known as the most exciting bunch. Max Landis being John Landis's son is part of his story.

Of course, while having some kind of brand can help you get in a room, it still all comes down to what you put on the page. Diablo and Max wouldn't be as successful or get as much work if they didn't have a voice that drew people in. But I think anything we can do to differentiate ourselves from the intense competition can work in our favor (especially since there's really only so much we can to to differentiate ourselves on the page). So I don't see it as unfair, I see it as just another tool in one's self-promotion arsenal.

In short, if I had a past as a male stripper, I would let everyone know.*

*That said, don't know if it's a job that's helped this guy much: http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/meet-...-at-night.html
      Last edited by UpandComing; 08-11-2015, 07:41 AM.
      "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

I think the best thing anyone can do is evolve and she's done it. I had no idea Ricki and the Flash was partially based on someone she knows and love that she wrote it not knowing if it would ever see the light of day. I heard a recent interview she did with Chris Hardwick on Nerdist and she came across as a smart, cool, genuine person. I also love that she is doing the Barbie movie...would never have thought of her for that but after hearing her talk about it, makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by omovie View Post
          Also, she's known for her writing first and foremost.
          I think -- and I may be wrong -- but when even people outside of the business know who you are, then you may not be known first and foremost for your scripts or writing ability. That's your persona getting that attention. Maybe?

For instance, everyone on this board knows who writer Brian Helgeland is or Scott Frank, but those outside the industry don't.

Reading the article made me wonder about the balance of all that and if it's beneficial in the long run, since that's what Cody seemed to question in the piece.

*I'll add I think she's just fine as a writer. Has tons of work. Has a presence in the industry. I'm not questioning if she's a good person or if she "deserves" to succeed. Of course she is/does. She seems immensely likable.

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
            LA Times article on Diablo Cody for her new film, Ricki and the Flash.

Though still unconventional, she seems to eschew "fame" now.

So, my question is -- do you get to be Diablo Cody if you weren't a vehicle for everyone's ire/love/gossip to begin with? Because a lot of that hoopla over her being a stripper and whatnot (imo) led to her getting a ton of work that if she were just some average new writer girl -- she wouldn't have gotten those opportunities? Thoughts?

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...ry.html#page=1

I always viewed her and someone like Max Landis as being similar -- known for behavior first, and their scripts second. Don't know if that's fair, though.
            There are a lot of strippers. And there are a lot of women trying to become screenwriters.

But there are very few women (or men) who can write as well as her. The stripper bit may have given her a little more splash on the celebrity side, but I really don't think that it was a real factor in her success--she simply wouldn't have lasted without real talent.

Comment

I wasn't accusing her of not being talented.

I was saying the hoopla of her background made her "Diablo Cody."

And then I was asking this:

"Reading the article made me wonder about the balance of all that and if it's beneficial in the long run, since that's what Cody seemed to question in the piece."

It seems (from the article) that having this brand is now a hindrance to her, on a personal level -- that's what I was wondering about.

Comment

I think Diablo Cody is a great example of how screenwriters eat their own. She's extremely talented, came out of (seemingly) nowhere, won awards, and got to work with huge names.

So of course, she was attacked by other writers.

Do other creative professions do this as much as writers? Are directors out there badmouthing some guy/woman who made an excellent short and then is suddenly a Hollywood darling? How about an actor that has one great performance and then is sought after by everyone? If it is the case, I don't see it nearly as much as with writers.

To me, Diablo cody is one of the best writers out there. I'll give anything she writes a shot. Sure it doesn't all come together, but she's constantly trying new and interesting stories.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                  Do other creative professions do this as much as writers? Are directors out there badmouthing some guy/woman who made an excellent short and then is suddenly a Hollywood darling? How about an actor that has one great performance and then is sought after by everyone?
                  Yeah, there are. But someone has to be there to take it down if anyone is to know about It. Which leads to:

If it is the case, I don't see it nearly as much as with writers.
                  Er, maybe it's because we have this weird tendancy to write about the things we're thinking on...

(I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out possible underlying cause)

Comment

Wasn't she a pretty successful blogger before she sold Juno? I thought her initial popularity/name recognition was because she already had a following, not because she used to be a stripper. Also because it's an extremely memorable name, and she has an actual image/personal brand/style, unlike most screenwriters who are pretty unassuming.

Comment

And yet, I will say, without any data to back this up, that I think female screenwriters are more attractive than male screenwriters. Not saying they are succeeding because of their looks but even there, a bias may be at work.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                        And yet, I will say, without any data to back this up, that I think female screenwriters are more attractive than male screenwriters. Not saying they are succeeding because of their looks but even there, a bias may be at work.
                        I hope this is a joke.

Comment

I hope this is a joke.
                          Nope. Remember the buzz around the "Fempire"?

Comment

I hope this is a joke.
                            I hope it's not. My ego needs that after Nicholls.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                              Nope. Remember the buzz around the "Fempire"?
                              I'm not familiar with that reference.

But saying that female writers are only getting ahead because of their looks is very condescending and destructive for a forum that's supposed to be supporting other writers.

Comment

Working...
                              X