Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A pass on a script (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=80788)

liverbird 05-06-2016 03:34 PM

A pass on a script

Hi. I just received a pass on a script I sent to a production company. They finished with "We wish you all the best with it and hope to read your work again".
Since I do have multiple scripts is it a good idea to get back to them straight away, or should I wait a while before querying again? Not really sure if this is just a polite rejection and leave it for a while.

Done Deal Pro 05-06-2016 05:15 PM

Re: A pass on a script

Quote:

Originally Posted by liverbird (Post 938082)
Not really sure if this is just a polite rejection and leave it for a while.

Almost certainly this. If they truly loved your writing, but that particular script/story just wasn't quite right for them, they'd ask to see anything else you had right away. (The default, for the most part, is to assume a writer already has other scripts.)

ProfessorChomp 05-06-2016 05:18 PM

Another idea would be to ask if they'd be interested in sitting down. Then you could bounce several ideas off them at once. If they don't respond to that suggestion, move on.

muckraker 05-06-2016 05:31 PM

When I am in this situation I always try to keep the dialogue going either by letting them know I have other stuff or asking what type of material they're looking for. I mean, what's the downside in that?

liverbird 05-06-2016 08:19 PM

Thank you, guys for the help. I did email them back about another script and they just requested it! So very happy about that. Now back to the waiting game.:bounce:

finalact4 05-06-2016 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liverbird (Post 938089)
Thank you, guys for the help. I did email them back about another script and they just requested it! So very happy about that. Now back to the waiting game.:bounce:

Smart thing to do, because they might have assumed it was your first market ready spec.

Good luck with the next one.

Dingo_Pug 05-07-2016 10:43 AM

On a related matter - if you did a brief follow up on a requested script after about 3 weeks and got no reply --- worth another brief follow up a couple weeks later?

EdFury 05-07-2016 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingo_Pug (Post 938106)
On a related matter - if you did a brief follow up on a requested script after about 3 weeks and got no reply --- worth another brief follow up a couple weeks later?

No. You did your follow up. No answer at that point is what I call a passive pass. They let you know by not letting you know. Move on. If you hear good things sometime down the road, great, but assume it's a pass and gear up for the next query.

Dingo_Pug 05-07-2016 12:29 PM

Thanks for stopping me before I do a serial follow up :-) sounds sensible.