Email queries - when is no response a response?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email queries - when is no response a response?

I'm trying this whole email query thing for the first time. I like the fact that it's quick, cheap, and if you don't hear back by the end of the day, you won't hear back at all.

But that creates a new problem. When managers don't reply, it could mean:

1. They're not interested.
    2. They don't read queries.
    3. It hit their inbox at a bad time and they were too busy (or maybe not there) to take a look.

I've gotten script requests from some people so I know the query's not atrocious. From the people who don't reply, I assume the worst, but there's this nagging doubt of "maybe if I tweak it and try at another time, it'll get through."

Do I email these same managers with a slightly reworded query in a few weeks? Or should I consider the silence a pass?

What do you guys do? How often do you query the same script to the same person?

Re: Email queries - when is no response a response?

I think you need to give a little more time than "by the end of the day" to see if it's a pass or not. True, you'll get some same day. Others could probably tell you various stories of weeks, months, etc.

As for me, once I email the person, I make a note in my spreadsheet and move on.

Comment

This...
      "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

My feelings are the same as Bunker.

From my email querying experiences, usually if they don't respond within the hour, they'll never respond at all.

Comment

As PaleWriter said, you do need to give them more time.

And even if you just give them a week or two to respond, why not follow up with a phone call after the end of the waiting period in regards to the query. Depending on your tact, you may be able to pitch over phone.

But you are having some success with e-queries, so kudos to you.
          Stupid tv. Be more funny - Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Give them more than one day although I did have CAA respond in the same business day. You should only query someone once a month IMO.

Comment

I'm definitely going to give everyone more than one day. I'm not THAT desperate. But if they don't reply to an e-query within a day, they're not going to reply at all. That e-query will just get pushed further and further down their inbox.

The problem is it's impossible to know what to make of the silence. Most likely, they're simply not interested. But there's a chance they were running out the door on their way to a meeting, looked at their computer, and said, "I don't have time for a query today!" De-le-ted.

What do the rest of you do? Do you consider it a rejection and just keep moving down your list of companies? When it comes to management companies, there really aren't that many with proven track records before you start getting into some sketchy territory (even fewer once genre is taken into account). I keep hearing of people who blast out hundreds of queries; who the hell are they querying? Everyone in the HCD?

Comment

I've found that the best way to get a prompt response is to have a referral to the person you're trying to contact. Best way to get this is to compile a list of everyone you want to contact, pass it out to everyone you know to see who they know and use the referral's name in the subject of your email. You will get more people to respond faster, increasing your chances for a read.

Comment

maybe they like your idea but they haven't found a home for it yet. so, instead of saying 'pass' they say nothing. then 8 months down the road they have lunch with somebody who's looking for something... something... something... oh, i read a script a few months ago that would be perfect. then they go back and dig in their pile of 'maybe one day'.

you can always hold onto the hope. it's better than a pass which means no hope whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
                    I'm definitely going to give everyone more than one day. I'm not THAT desperate. But if they don't reply to an e-query within a day, they're not going to reply at all. That e-query will just get pushed further and further down their inbox.

The problem is it's impossible to know what to make of the silence. Most likely, they're simply not interested. But there's a chance they were running out the door on their way to a meeting, looked at their computer, and said, "I don't have time for a query today!" De-le-ted.

What do the rest of you do? Do you consider it a rejection and just keep moving down your list of companies? When it comes to management companies, there really aren't that many with proven track records before you start getting into some sketchy territory (even fewer once genre is taken into account). I keep hearing of people who blast out hundreds of queries; who the hell are they querying? Everyone in the HCD?
                    I get most responses back within the first week. Some responded back 4-6 months later. Some are tied down with clients, projects, etc. The ones who don't respond back I hit up 1-2 months later and throughout the year. Eventually most will.
                    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Comment

Bunker...managers have responded to my queries within minutes, hours, days, or weeks. And if there was no response, I tried a few weeks later with a different subject line. And people responded. Some responded after a third attempt with an attitude as if it were the first time that they received my email. The bottom line is that these people are busy and timing is everything. You need to capture them at the right moment. And of course you never know when that right time is. (Though I found a better response rate sending out emails between 4-6pm T-R on sunny days during day light than during any other time.) Just remember the obvious. They're not sitting anxiously at their desks, waiting for the next email to pop up and then reading it fully before making a decision. Good luck.

Comment

Great advice Jack.

Comment

Thanks, Jack! That really answered my question.

I'll keep filling up their inboxes.

Comment

You're very welcome. Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, JackB, thanks for the rub in a nutshell (and Code7 and PaleWriter). I'm in a similar place as Bunker, and the guidance is most welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X