Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering what an agent said

I recently sent a query letter to CAA. I got a reply back that said "Sounds interesting. Let us take a look at this and get back to you. Thanks" Does he mean the query letter, or should I go ahead and send the script? I don't want to ask and bother them and all that stuff. Help! And Thanks

Re: Deciphering what an agent said

CAA requires release forms in triplicate plus a hard copy of the script. So don't send them your script until they send you the release form.

And good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
      CAA requires release forms in triplicate plus a hard copy of the script. So don't send them your script until they send you the release form.

And good luck!

Oh, okay great. What about WME? Do they do that too?

Comment

And did you query an agent, or an assistant? And did you get that response from the same person who you queried? Or was it their assistant?

Comment

Originally posted by Filmmagician View Post
          I recently sent a query letter to CAA. I got a reply back that said "Sounds interesting. Let us take a look at this and get back to you. Thanks" Does he mean the query letter, or should I go ahead and send the script? I don't want to ask and bother them and all that stuff. Help! And Thanks
          You don't want to bother them? That's crazy talk. Asking what they mean by "Let us take a look at this" is not bothering them. I would jump on it and ask if that means you can send the script. And if you can, what their protocols are for sending it the correct way. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Comment

And did you query an agent, or an assistant? And did you get that response from the same person who you queried? Or was it their assistant?
            Queried the agent, the assistant wrote back.

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
              You don't want to bother them? That's crazy talk. Asking what they mean by "Let us take a look at this" is not bothering them. I would jump on it and ask if that means you can send the script. And if you can, what their protocols are for sending it the correct way. Nothing wrong with that at all.
              I knowwwwwwwww but I don't want to look like a noob, or a potential client that is difficult or anything. I got a similar response from WME. I should just ask and send the script in one email.

Comment

Oh, okay great. What about WME? Do they do that too?
                Not sure. I haven't gotten an official script request from them yet.

But I'm trying.

ICM also requires a release form. But they accept scanned and emailed forms. Although they do ask that you get the release form notarized. But sometimes they'll waive that requirement if you're outside of California.

Also, sometimes an assistant or trainee will take a look at your script without all the paperwork.

Comment

I knowwwwwwwww but I don't want to look like a noob, or a potential client that is difficult or anything. I got a similar response from WME. I should just ask and send the script in one email.
                  No. No. Do not send the script. No. Ask your reasonable question. And wait for an answer. If they do not answer... that's your answer. CAA is a tough nut. I have a script there now being packaged by them and they still haven't even talked to me about representation. Being reasonable and patient is the key here.

Comment

Queried the agent, the assistant wrote back.
                    The assistant is going to bring your query letter to the agent's attention and see if he's interested. If so, you'll get the release form. Your script will then go to their coverage department. And if the coverage is good, then the agent and/or assistant will read it.

Comment

The assistant is going to bring your query letter to the agent's attention and see if he's interested. If so, you'll get the release form. Your script will then go to their coverage department. And if the coverage is good, then the agent and/or assistant will read it.
                      Ahhh, damn it. I don't know what to do. Should I bother emailing back and asking for clarification and attach the script just in case?

Comment

Originally posted by EdFury View Post
                        No. No. Do not send the script. No. Ask your reasonable question. And wait for an answer. If they do not answer... that's your answer. CAA is a tough nut. I have a script there now being packaged by them and they still haven't even talked to me about representation. Being reasonable and patient is the key here.
                        Okay, maybe I'll do that. the thing with WME is, that a friend of mine who's a screenwriter and has an agent at WME, thought WME had my script already so she went ahead and sent it to a few assistants to read. But I don't want it to get back to her that they didn't have my script in the first place :/ Maybe I'll just reply and ask for clarification.

Comment

After being in contact with multiple people from CAA, and having a manager submit my stuff to agents he knew there, and even being told I'm a great pitcher by them, they really do seem to depend on their coverage. And I've heard there's is the most brutal.

I had a friend who was represented by them. They guaranteed he wouldn't feel lost, even as a new writer. And three weeks later he felt... Lost.

You are usually better off there with a more junior agent, because they will work harder for you. A more senior agent has to be concerned about pleasing his more senior clients first.

Nonetheless there are some very nice and intelligent people that work there and best of luck with them!

Comment

Ahhh, damn it. I don't know what to do. Should I bother emailing back and asking for clarification and attach the script just in case?
                            Yikes! Absolutely not!

Never send the script unless they specifically ask you to.

But if you're really anxious about this, then email for clarification as was already suggested.

You'll look like a bit of a newb, but that's okay, so long as you don't come across as a total idiot, or mentally unstable.

And good luck!

Comment

Yikes! Absolutely not!

Never send the script unless they specifically ask you to.

But if you're really anxious about this, then email for clarification as was already suggested.

You'll look like a bit of a newb, but that's okay, so long as you don't come across as a total idiot, or mentally unstable.

And good luck!
                              haha, thanks. Technically they didn't ask for the script specifically - that's why I'm holding off. But I don't want to miss out on an opportunity cause of a technicality. I'll just e-mail them I guess and hope for the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X