Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Articles, Books, Blogs, Magazines, DVDs & Podcasts (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The New Black List (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=69183)

Geoff Alexander 10-18-2012 10:07 AM

Re: The New Black List

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 833370)
What are you rating though? scripts you've already read, like stuff on the black list (the actual list) and based on that it's giving you recommends with new stuff that matches that in some way?

Yes, you are rating scripts that you have already read. Some of the scripts are Blacklist, but most are not.

Geoff Alexander 10-18-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamboogul (Post 833411)
I feel the opposite. I craft the logline because I want to have full control over my script and how it's presented.

But the logline that my reps use the most is--

"Per our convo, see attached."

Did you write Rodham? It's listed as one of the top unmade scripts, FYI.

Jules 10-18-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Alexander (Post 833429)

Yes, you are rating scripts that you have already read. Some of the scripts are Blacklist, but most are not.

So are you seeing amateur scripts you've read off queries and giving them ratings?

Do you have to download a script before you can rate it?

Thanks.

Hamboogul 10-18-2012 10:40 AM

Geoff, are you insinuating that I wrote a period drama with a female lead? Aren't there articles and seminars telling unrepped writers to avoid those? ;)

Geoff Alexander 10-18-2012 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamboogul (Post 833437)
Geoff, are you insinuating that I wrote a period drama with a female lead? Aren't there articles and seminars telling unrepped writers to avoid those? ;)

I figured it was a different Korean writer-junior manager duo...glad to know you'd never do something that insane!

Geoff Alexander 10-18-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jules (Post 833433)
So are you seeing amateur scripts you've read off queries and giving them ratings?

Do you have to download a script before you can rate it?

Thanks.

You don't have to download a script to rate it. I haven't rated any scripts that I've read off of cold queries, because those types of projects aren't in the database in any numbers yet.

ATB 10-18-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BattleDolphinZero (Post 833396)
If it is a problem, then it's a problem. Loglines are not scripts. Loglines suck. And good loglines are often lies. A well executed script means there is a talented writer. If there is a system that is slanted towards loglines, that is inverse of where the slant should be, no?

I have no idea if this system is slanted towards loglines. I like that there are legit people involved and it's cheap.

I'm just saying "concept is king" for a reason. A well-executed script with a shitty concept was dead at the starting line. But a poorly-executed script with a great concept at least had a chance.

I mean, it depends on what we're talking about. Are we talking about managers/agents/reps looking for writers or producers/execs looking for scripts? If it's the former, execution matters a lot more. If it's the latter, the buck stops at concept. IMHO.

Patrick Sweeney 10-18-2012 11:43 AM

I went ahead and listed AFTER, my sci-fi Page Awards finalist, with an evaluation (still coming). I decided now's the time, when people will be checking the service out for novelty or to be sure they aren't missing something.

Hasil Adkins 10-18-2012 11:44 AM

For those who have submitted scripts, I'd be interested to hear what kind of traffic (impressions, downloads) they've gotten so far.

Patrick Sweeney 10-18-2012 12:04 PM

I uploaded my script Wednesday morning. I have 7 impressions, 2 downloads, and 1 rating, but 2-3 impressions and 1 download are from me.