Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Articles, Books, Blogs, Magazines, DVDs & Podcasts (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The New Black List (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=69183)

cshel 10-18-2012 04:49 PM

Re: The New Black List

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATB (Post 833497)
I don't know, man. If your logline sucks (and by that, I mean your concept sucks), it's probably a good indicator of whether that script is worth your time or not. Because if the shitty idea behind that script is well-executed, it doesn't really matter. It's still a shitty idea.

But if there's a good idea behind it, then it worth seeing whether or not the script is executed well.

I don't see how anyone can say, "My logline sucks but the script is great." Because you're essentially saying the idea behind your story sucks. And if so, who wants to read/watch a story with a shitty idea?

Again, I'm not referring to a shitty concept, or a poorly written logline. :|

halloweenjak 10-18-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATB (Post 833497)
I don't see how anyone can say, "My logline sucks but the script is great." Because you're essentially saying the idea behind your story sucks. And if so, who wants to read/watch a story with a shitty idea?

If this is a reference to me, mine isn't a shitty idea.

It's an idea that will inevitably draw comparisons to stories which have dealt with a similar hook.

It will spark pigeonholing, for people who like to pigeonhole as a matter of expediency.

I stand by my story, but can't convey it in a single sentence.

I think loglines are a shortcut to thinking, and reading.

JeffLowell 10-18-2012 05:06 PM

If you can't sell your script to a studio in thirty seconds, how is the studio supposed to sell the movie to an audience in thirty seconds?

halloweenjak 10-18-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffLowell (Post 833502)
If you can't sell your script to a studio in thirty seconds, how is the studio supposed to sell the movie to an audience in thirty seconds?

The way they always have.

Famous actors.

If "Pulp fiction" was pitched by a no name, give me a logline that would convey the excellence of that script.

Without mentioning the stars.

Hamboogul 10-18-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halloweenjak (Post 833503)

Famous actors.

If "Pulp fiction" was pitched by a no name, give me a logline that would convey the excellence of that script.

RUSSELL: All right, tell me, tell me about the stories. What kind of stories?

GEORGE: Oh, no. No stories.

RUSSELL: No stories? So, what is it?

GEORGE: What'd you do today?

RUSSELL: I got up and came to work.

GEORGE: There's a show. That's a show.

RUSSELL: How is that a show?

JERRY: Well, uh, maybe something happens on the way to work.

GEORGE: No, no, no. Nothing happens.

JERRY: Well, something happens.

RUSSELL: Well, why am I watching it?

GEORGE: Because it's on TV.

RUSSELL: Not yet.

JeffLowell 10-18-2012 05:28 PM

Oh, you've written the next Pulp Fiction. Well then, carry on.

halloweenjak 10-18-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffLowell (Post 833506)
Oh, you've written the next Pulp Fiction. Well then, carry on.

No. The point is there might be the next "Pulp Fiction" out there, and no logline would convey its excellence.

The point is if "JAws" and "Deep Blue Sea" were pitched cold, by no names, with no bestseller and no info other than a logline, "Deep Blue Sea" might seem more attractive to a producer these days.

More sharks.

But let's not make this nasty , Lowell.

cshel 10-18-2012 05:32 PM

I'm having trouble articulating what I mean. I guess it's low concept versus high concept, and what's typically sure-fire commercial. Two unknown writers query their scripts. The typical first gatekeeper readers are young men. You query Juno and The Terminator. Or Little Miss Sunshine and Predator. Or The Kids Are Alright and Source Code. What gets read requests. What became commercially and critically successful based on great word of mouth. Which was sold based on concept. Which was sold based on execution. Which benefits more from BL3 with good reviews versus typical cold-querying with no review. Why don't I just shut-up. :p

Geoff Alexander 10-18-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halloweenjak (Post 833503)

Famous actors.

That's really not the way movies are sold.

halloweenjak 10-18-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Alexander (Post 833510)
That's really not the way movies are sold.

You're wrong.

I'm the audience. They're sold to me, and the millions of us out there.

You're talking about insider decisions.

I know what Hollywood does to get me to go to a movie.

You don't have to be an insider to know that. Okay?