What's a TV Pilot spec sell for these days?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a TV Pilot spec sell for these days?

Option money?

I hear $3K to $5K minimum.

Purchase price?

$55K to $100K minimum.

And what about royalties on future episodes and summer reruns? What about residuals for syndication runs?

Re: What's a TV Pilot spec sell for these days?

WGA minimum for a 60 minutes or less teleplay alone is $21,513, effective until May 1, 2010.

Scroll to page 12 (7 in the contract): http://www.wga.org/uploadedFiles/wri...ts/min2008.pdf

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

In response to Studios number there... that is the "teleplay" scale. But when you write a 60 minute script -- pilot or assignment. You get paid for teleplay and story -- so scale comes out to...

Currently $32,700 will increase to $33,681 as of May 2, 2010.

However -- it would be VERY rare for a pilot to be bought for scale. It's almost always a significantly higher rate.

Residuals are too difficult to explain. There are so many different ways in which residuals are counted...

Replay on Network primetime, cable, foreign sales, dvd, etc...

Whatever the scale is -- expect to make two to three times that amount on residuals over the ensuing five years. And a little here in there over the five after that... Possibly more if the DVD for the show does really well -- though that's becoming a declining market.

Comment

I don't know about network, but I know a few people who're selling things to cable, and it's less money than I would have thought. In the 30s, but several of them aren't really selling it outright, there's this epic development process where everyone gets their fingers in the pie, and the original writer may not end up with as many credits (or as much cash.)

Comment

Pilots don't get sold. They get redeveloped for an endless eternity before anyone wants to pay a dime... At least is seems that way.

Comment

Originally posted by HomerS3 View Post
            Pilots don't get sold. They get redeveloped for an endless eternity before anyone wants to pay a dime... At least is seems that way.
            But doesn't a network have to pay for the drafts during that time? Aren't most nets, including cable nets, signatories to WGA?

Comment

You would think so!

The people I know who are in development with stuff for networks (all cable, though - actual-network may be different) tend to do many rounds of development without actually turning in a script. I think (much like in features) that if you don't actually go to pages, execs feel like it doesn't count.

Comment

Originally posted by corduroy View Post
                You would think so!

The people I know who are in development with stuff for networks (all cable, though - actual-network may be different) tend to do many rounds of development without actually turning in a script. I think (much like in features) that if you don't actually go to pages, execs feel like it doesn't count.
                That's not how it works. If you're developing for a network (for a scripted non-animation show), you are required to be compensated -- on a scale that is determined by the WGA minimums mentioned in this thread.

Sounds like you're talking about working for a production company which is a whole different situation. Most cases these days, you go to the production company (prodco) first and pitch them your idea. You then work out a deal and develop the idea gratis. You and the prodco will go pitch to the networks. If the networks bite, your deal kicks in.

Comment

I'm not sure - the three folks I know who are doing this seem to have moved past the production company and be dealing directly with development people at (basic) cable networks, and none of them are making money yet. I know a fourth person who finally did sell her project and got a check at that point, but not before.

It's certainly possible I'm misunderstanding what they've told me, though.

Comment

So what it sounds like is you get the deal you've got the weight to pull.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_NewYorker View Post
                      Sounds like you're talking about working for a production company which is a whole different situation. Most cases these days, you go to the production company (prodco) first and pitch them your idea. You then work out a deal and develop the idea gratis. You and the prodco will go pitch to the networks. If the networks bite, your deal kicks in.
                      Correct.

Comment

Working...
                      X