Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Articles, Books, Blogs, Magazines, DVDs & Podcasts (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The New Black List (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=69183)

Hamboogul 10-17-2012 11:09 AM

Re: The New Black List

Jeff,

I agree with your analysis. But I also come from the POV of that struggling writer with marginal contacts who lives several time zones away. In fact, that was exactly my situation a year ago.

I want to believe that every great script will get discovered. I really do.

I know how much I bleed and bare my soul with every script. And there's nothing more defeating and heartbreaking than when your labor of love is ignored by the gatekeepers.

So the version of me 12 months ago would have done this BL 3.0 in a heartbeat. Because that version of me 12 months ago sent out query letters and could not even get read for a script that, ironically, is in a lot of people's radars now.

stainjm 10-17-2012 11:17 AM

Can someone in the business explain why you would read these scripts and take the time to score them? Would one or two good coverage scores really be enough?

That's where I still feel confused. If it was me I would likely stick to the traditional route and have my readers out there reading the slush, etc.

I am trying it anyway, but anyone want to offer some words of comfort in this regard?

Geoff Alexander 10-17-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffLowell (Post 833264)

I just don't see anything revolutionary. It's Script Shark with a better pedigree. (Which absolutely counts for something!)

I don't know if I'd call it revolutionary, but you don't consider the interactive element to be something powerful in terms of efficient matchmaking for material and company?

Geoff Alexander 10-17-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregbeal (Post 833256)
From the beginning, the goal of the Nicholl Fellowships has been to identify and encourage new screenwriters. Administered by a non-profit organization, the competition's monetary awards and expenses exceed the income generated by entry fees by hundreds of thousands of dollars each year.

The primary goal of the enterprise being discussed in this thread appears to be the monetization of a brand.

All sorts of innovations can occur when there is money to be made, you could say the same thing about big pharma researching new ways to fight disease, i.e., they intend to make a lot of money from it.

Your response seems overly simplistic to me, do you think it's something that amateur writers should consider trying?

Geoff Alexander 10-17-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainjm (Post 833272)
Can someone in the business explain why you would read these scripts and take the time to score them? Would one or two good coverage scores really be enough?

That's where I still feel confused. If it was me I would likely stick to the traditional route and have my readers out there reading the slush, etc.

I am trying it anyway, but anyone want to offer some words of comfort in this regard?

Someone else asked if people in the business will try this service, it's a good question because it requires buy in, in the form of an investment of time, from people who don't have a lot of time to invest. I suspect that this will be the primary obstacle for this venture. At the same time, no one likes to be behind the curve, and the BL has brand currency that will generate interest, so I believe that some people will give it a shot. If their experiences are good, and they dig it, word will travel, because WOM is everything. At the same time, I doubt that many higher level folks will use the service (I could be wrong), and it will probably end up being mostly mid level CEs and hungry reps.

karlosd 10-17-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffLowell (Post 833264)
A script that gets one or two great reviews will absolutely get quality reads, especially in the beginning.

Absolutely - the early adopters made off like bandits with Amazon. I think there are definite advantages in diving in now while the concept is still fresh.

Howie428 10-17-2012 12:28 PM

This concept has interesting potential as a mechanism for allowing material to be thrown into the pot and trying to distill the best stuff out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stainjm (Post 833272)

These are good questions and they raise further questions. Why would someone in the industry give a good rating to a great script they’ve just read? Wouldn’t it be in their interest to not rate it or to score it down? Why would they want to draw other industry interest to it?

The original Black List didn’t have this problem because the scripts being considered are already in circulation in the town. The executives have had their chance to go for the project and these are the ones they admired, but which got away. The new list is essentially new material, and while industry people are trying to get something together to make a move on it they have every reason to want to keep it quiet.

If the industry ratings become unreliable or are only infrequently provided, then all the weight falls on the reader ratings. That might be fine and it'll work out for some. But it becomes like a never ending contest in which the first round readers have the imperial thumb power.

stainjm 10-17-2012 12:48 PM

Exactly! Why rate it when, if they love it, they can just contact the writer and go from there?

There are scripts already rated on the site, but I wonder if those are just the coverage ratings or combined with industry ratings.

Maybe time will show these worries are misguided, I hope so because this could be pretty darn cool.

JeffLowell 10-17-2012 12:54 PM

How'd you break through?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamboogul (Post 833268)
Jeff,

I agree with your analysis. But I also come from the POV of that struggling writer with marginal contacts who lives several time zones away. In fact, that was exactly my situation a year ago.

I want to believe that every great script will get discovered. I really do.

I know how much I bleed and bare my soul with every script. And there's nothing more defeating and heartbreaking than when your labor of love is ignored by the gatekeepers.

So the version of me 12 months ago would have done this BL 3.0 in a heartbeat. Because that version of me 12 months ago sent out query letters and could not even get read for a script that, ironically, is in a lot of people's radars now.

sc111 10-17-2012 01:13 PM

I have a couple of questions. Sincere questions.

Let's say a writer researches contacts and develops a list of those most likely to be interested in scripts like their own. Then queries a logline to this targeted list only to end up with radio silence, no reads. Why would the same logline be more likely to garner reads on the NBL?

Is it because the reader can remain anonymous? He/she doesn't have to reveal their identity to the writer and deal with anxious 'Did you read it yet?' emails. Is it the coverage score?

I guess I'm still not clear on why this service improves your odds over traditional querying. Doesn't it still come down to concept first?