Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Articles, Books, Blogs, Magazines, DVDs & Podcasts (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   The New Black List (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=69183)

ATB 09-16-2012 07:53 PM

The New Black List

Just spotted this on Twitter. Apparently, The Black List just got awesome-er.

http://waitlist.blcklst.com/

Seems like Netflix for screenplays. Great idea.

Chief 09-16-2012 08:15 PM

Re: The New Black List

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATB (Post 828216)
Just spotted this on Twitter. Apparently, The Black List just got awesome-er.

http://waitlist.blcklst.com/

Seems like Netflix for screenplays. Great idea.

Interesting, but how do you get your scripts there? Isn't the Black List basically the best 'rejected' scripts? So do you need to send it out to prod co's then get rejected and then get on the site if they liked it or can you just send it to them/upload it if you're, let's say, a Finalist for PAGE.

ATB 09-16-2012 08:18 PM

It's the best unproduced scripts. Meaning not yet movies. So your script could be in-development somewhere and still be on the list.

Don't think writers have any control over how to get on it. It's just industry votes.

JoeBanks 09-16-2012 08:28 PM

From an email that went out announcing the new service:

"If you're a writer, you'll be able to pay a small monthly fee (probably $30/month) to make your script available to our industry membership. You'll also be able to pay (probably $30 each) for brief evaluations from our team of professional (though anonymous) script readers, so that we can direct your script into the right hands."

So, as I understand it, the InkTip model, which doesn't really (to my mind) do anything for the industry members who sign up for the service other than make it easier for them to be inundated with thousands of amateur scripts by writers who ponied up their $30 to be added to the database.

If there are truly worthy scripts, my impression is that they don't stay undiscovered within the industry for long, and I don't know that you would need this service to bring them to your attention.

Gillyflower Cooms 09-16-2012 08:29 PM

This isn't the same Black List, dood. This is a new service just like Inktip except it's using the Black list name...the guy who created the Black List never made a dime from it...this is his way to cash in.

ATB 09-16-2012 08:34 PM

Hmmm, not sure how I feel about writers paying to be on this. Should just be like The Black List but electronic. You want comedies? Here's a Black List for comedy. And for thriller. For action. For drama, what have you.

Paying for it just makes it a shinier Inktip.

omovie 09-16-2012 08:35 PM

Sounds like a bunch of Bullsh!t.

What's the point to any of this?

Chief 09-16-2012 08:44 PM

I thought it was going to be like a IMDB for scripts.

JoeBanks 09-16-2012 10:36 PM

the tracking boards largely serve that function, i would think. i don't know if all scripts that go out make it onto the boards, but the ones that most execs need to know about seem to.

holly 10-15-2012 11:28 AM

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/blac...professionals/

CColoredClown 10-15-2012 11:36 AM

Not bad, not bad at all.

FranklinLeonard 10-15-2012 12:24 PM

Hi everyone, it's me. Franklin Leonard, creator of the Black List. As you might imagine, today's a pretty busy day, but I wanted to make myself available to answer any questions you have about the list.

I'll be doing so over at the Black List blog. Probably the easiest way to ask those questions is by leaving them in the comments of this post: http://blog.blcklst.com/2012/10/ques...list-ask-away/

But I'll be dipping into threads where this new paradigm shift is being discussed to answer questions and address misinformation.

lordmanji 10-15-2012 12:57 PM

This sounds really cool. Very well could become a major center for finding good screenplays, and allows the writers to be more selective (which will put everyone on their game). Have a few questions:

Regarding readers: will it be possible to "request a reader or type of reader (say for genre)"?

And how many readers would it take before industry players are notified?

How are shady producers separated from legitimate smaller producers?

Geoff Alexander 10-15-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holly (Post 832885)

Inktip is crying real tears right now.

LIMAMA 10-15-2012 01:52 PM

Franklin, what makes your site different from one like Ink Tip, for example.

Joe Unidos 10-15-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillyflower Cooms (Post 828225)
This isn't the same Black List, dood. This is a new service just like Inktip except it's using the Black list name...the guy who created the Black List never made a dime from it...this is his way to cash in.

Truth.

FranklinLeonard 10-15-2012 02:19 PM

For all of you wondering, it's the same Black List, just an expanded version.

I am Franklin Leonard. The same guy that created the first list while a development executive at Appian Way back in 2005.

I don't know InkTip's service well, so I can't speak to the primary differences, nor do I see them as competition. We are offering something singular and for a, for the most part, lower price point.

I believe InkTip provides in depth coverage. We do not. We provide a brief evaluation and then use the content of that evaluation (which the writer and choose to make public or keep private, entirely their prerogative) to identify the best scripts which are then spotlighted for our membership of, currently, almost 1200 film industry professionals, which is, I believe, far more than what InkTip can offer.

More on that as I learn more about InkTip, but again, to be very, very clear, we do not view them as competition. From what I understand, their coverage service is quite strong.

Manchester 10-15-2012 02:28 PM

Franklin, certainly there is a big rush today, but about timing - How long do you expect it to take to get the $50 notes/review/rec?

Here's why I ask. It seems that one has to pay the $25 monthly fee to be listed in order to pay the $50 to be reviewed. As I understand it, you only make a review available to others if the writer agrees.

So let's say I've written the world's greatest-ever script, and yet... your reviewer finds it to be not-so-much. In that case, I might want to take it down from your site and reconsider if maybe my self-assessment wasn't quite right. I'm wondering how long that time-arc might be. Thanks.

joe9alt 10-15-2012 02:56 PM

$25 a month PLUS $50 for a read?

Why not just query the people on the producers' list for free?

Well, one good thing that comes out of this is at least I won't have to be annoyed about not making the black list any more! :cool:

madworld 10-15-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe9alt (Post 832910)

Well, one good thing that comes out of this is at least I won't have to be annoyed about not making the black list any more! :cool:

exactly.

ReneC 10-15-2012 03:48 PM

I'm kind of excited by this. The Black List is a top-down list of recommended scripts. This is going to be the bottom-up list, and as long as Franklin's algorithm does its job it will hopefully force the cream to rise to the top, much like the original Black List.

It also puts a little more control in the hands of the writer to actively get in on the Black List's distribution channel. The caveat being you still need to be good enough to rank well and get the reads.

If my understanding is valid, why wouldn't this be a good thing? More great scripts getting into the hands of buyers.

JeffLowell 10-15-2012 03:53 PM

More reading fees.

There's a reason the WGA bans agencies from charging them, and it's not because they're a wickedly good idea for writers.

cshel 10-15-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

I'm confused. Isn't it still going to be the same pro Black List as before?

It sounds like this is just a separate service for amateurs that wouldn't have anything to do with the original Black List. Unless in some rare instance it led to a great script getting discovered that then went on to get on the Black List.

Is it a bad thing because they are taking advantage of new writers by charging them? Or are you saying it would diminish the importance of being on the Black List in some way?

figment 10-15-2012 04:01 PM

Per linked article: "....The script will be evaluated by professional script readers, and, depending on its evaluation(s), read by as many as 1,000 film industry professionals who are currently a part of the membership site..."

So,I 'd want to know more about this aspect -- evaluated how -- skimmed? The first ten pages read? What would get you ten reads as opposed to a thousand?

And how many months would you have to keep a script up -- if it was hightly rated by an industry professional -- to ensure you were getting those reads? One month? Six? A year? That could really add up.

cshel 10-15-2012 04:11 PM

It seems like you'd almost have to pay for an evaluation, and get a good one, in order to really get any reads. But then after a month or two with no takers, you could just quit. I wonder if they let you get the evaluation for $50.00 bucks first, and then decide to be listed based on that, before you have to pay the $25.00, too. If you have a kick-ass concept and log, you might be best served to just query for free, but then again, if you have the money to spare, this might be easier?

Geoff Alexander 10-15-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by figment (Post 832928)
Per linked article: "....The script will be evaluated by professional script readers, and, depending on its evaluation(s), read by as many as 1,000 film industry professionals who are currently a part of the membership site..."

So,I 'd want to know more about this aspect -- evaluated how -- skimmed? The first ten pages read? What would get you ten reads as opposed to a thousand?

And how many months would you have to keep a script up -- if it was hightly rated by an industry professional -- to ensure you were getting those reads? One month? Six? A year? That could really add up.

It's interesting, because you could easily get rid of 90% of the material with a single reader who was tasked with simply determining if any script in question achieved a basic level of competency. Once you do that, then you lean on classifications, and the interactive nature of the system, i.e., industry participants indicating preferences over time which generates a Netflix like "recommend" list. Ultimately, you could conceivably end up with a manageable pool of material that would be put in front of folks who have already indicated a desire for it.

JoJo 10-15-2012 04:29 PM

I'd be interested in knowing how many agents/managers/prodcos would actually read the scripts that received a favorable review.

CColoredClown 10-15-2012 04:29 PM

Just signed up for the $25 service and am giving it a shot. There's already been about 3,000 uploads for scripts, so it's pretty freakin' popular at the moment.

Edit: 3,778 uploaded as of 2:30 PM PST.

JoJo 10-15-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranklinLeonard (Post 832907)
For all of you wondering, it's the same Black List, just an expanded version.

I am Franklin Leonard. The same guy that created the first list while a development executive at Appian Way back in 2005.

I don't know InkTip's service well, so I can't speak to the primary differences, nor do I see them as competition. We are offering something singular and for a, for the most part, lower price point.

I believe InkTip provides in depth coverage. We do not. We provide a brief evaluation and then use the content of that evaluation (which the writer and choose to make public or keep private, entirely their prerogative) to identify the best scripts which are then spotlighted for our membership of, currently, almost 1200 film industry professionals, which is, I believe, far more than what InkTip can offer.

More on that as I learn more about InkTip, but again, to be very, very clear, we do not view them as competition. From what I understand, their coverage service is quite strong.

Franklin, I appreciate your transparency. It would be helpful if you could post a sample review on the website. I'm interested in knowing just how close/extensive a read these scripts get.

JoJo 10-15-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CColoredClown (Post 832939)
Just signed up for the $25 service and am giving it a shot. There's already been about 3,000 uploads for scripts, so it's pretty freakin' popular at the moment.

Wow.....

RobWriter 10-15-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CColoredClown (Post 832939)

That's $94,450 . . . not bad for a day's work!!!

In all seriousness though, very curious what the turnaround time is for a review by a BL reader? I imagine there will be in excess of 10,000 scripts uploaded by the end of the month . . . . that seems like a very big pile to get through.

Paul Striver 10-15-2012 04:44 PM

Bitter Script Reader has an excellent overview that provides far more details than the Black List folks have themselves provided:

Why every aspiring writer should be excited about Black List 3.0

http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspo...uld-be_15.html

karlosd 10-15-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobWriter (Post 832947)
That's $94,450 . . . not bad for a day's work!!!

I'm sure I read somewhere that refers to the total number of scripts in the BlackList database - not just those posted today by 'aspiring screenwriters', or whatever they're calling us now to avoid using the word 'amateur.'

I think it's an interesting development, but people are praising it for costing the same as one contest, which it does... for the first month.

But leave a couple of scripts up there for a few months, and you'll soon have no money left for all those "number one secret tip to being a professional screenwriter" videos you were going to buy yourself for Christmas.

figment 10-15-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosd (Post 832953)
I think it's an interesting development, but people are praising it for costing the same as one contest, which it does... for the first month.

Yep, so how many months is "ideal" for you to leave it up so it actually gets a shot if, in fact, it is a viable project for a sale? If you were only going to leave it up one month, that may be worth it -- but months and months...?

And JoJo -- I agree. Wow!! :eek:

sc111 10-15-2012 05:40 PM

I'm confused. I saw a posting on Lockhart's Inside Pitch Facebook group. It says this has nothing to do with the Black List that comes out once it a year.

FranklinLeonard 10-15-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmanji (Post 832895)
This sounds really cool. Very well could become a major center for finding good screenplays, and allows the writers to be more selective (which will put everyone on their game). Have a few questions:

Regarding readers: will it be possible to "request a reader or type of reader (say for genre)"?

And how many readers would it take before industry players are notified?

How are shady producers separated from legitimate smaller producers?

Scripts are routed to readers based on their genre preferences. A reader who likes Romantic Comedy, for example, would not be forced to read and evaluate a Science Fiction movie, and vice versa. Makes sense no?

Our industry professional membership can be made aware of a script with as few as one read, if the script gets a sterling evaluation. Simply put, the industry professionals express their preference about what they want to hear about. Some may want to hear about big budget comedies that are well reviewed. Others may want micro-budget horror. They're made aware of all good scripts based on their preference, but for obvious reasons, multiple good evaluations are better than one. More evaluations are particularly valuable in that they enable us to better make targeted individual recommendations using our recommendations algorithm.

Our industry professional membership is curated. We've done our best to prevent "shady producers" from joining altogether, and if we get notice that members of our site are behaving in a way inconsistent with the Black List's values, they will be expelled from our membership.

FranklinLeonard 10-15-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manchester (Post 832908)
Franklin, certainly there is a big rush today, but about timing - How long do you expect it to take to get the $50 notes/review/rec?

Here's why I ask. It seems that one has to pay the $25 monthly fee to be listed in order to pay the $50 to be reviewed. As I understand it, you only make a review available to others if the writer agrees.

So let's say I've written the world's greatest-ever script, and yet... your reviewer finds it to be not-so-much. In that case, I might want to take it down from your site and reconsider if maybe my self-assessment wasn't quite right. I'm wondering how long that time-arc might be. Thanks.

A good question.

The timeline on our reviews will likely be ever changing depending the demand for them.

Yes, a writer must pay the $25 fee to have their script listed. And an additional $50 to have it read by one of our readers.

Also true that it is entirely the writer's choice as to whether that evaluation is made public on the site.

In the case you mentioned, you're absolutely right, you may want to take it down immediately after receiving the response, and if you think that it is not likely generate traffic to your script, you should. One thing not mentioned in any of the media coverage of our announcement today is that all writers will be able to track, in real time, the volume of traffic to their script. Views of their script page, # of downloads, # of ratings from industry professionals, etc., which I think, will be a good guide for people as to whether there's value in keeping their script on the site.

FranklinLeonard 10-15-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

You're welcome to query the people on the producers' list for free.

Consider it another way though: imagine you've written a brilliant script. You pay $75 for a month's hosting and a single read from our readers. If it's reviewed incredibly well, word of your brilliant script is immediately communicated to now over 1200 film industry professionals ranging from agency assistants to multiple studio presidents of production (including Greg Silverman at Warner Brothers and Hannah Minghella at Sony who are on our board of advisors) and A list talent and directors.

It's not as cheap as writing 1200 query e-mails, but the upside is considerably higher, if your script is strong.

cshel 10-15-2012 05:52 PM

Okay, so now you're saying it's best to get more evaluations, at $50.00 a pop, in order to get read. Or at least keep trying until you get a good one? But one might not be enough? Yikes. This IS getting expensive. :eek:

FranklinLeonard 10-15-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Lastly, the annual Black List will be created using the same process it has for the last seven years, namely surveying some 500 executives that make up the studio system executive corps (typically ~60% respond.)

This represents an extension of tools to serve the mission of helping moviemakers find great scripts to make and great scripts to find moviemakers to make them.