Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Classes, Contests, Conferences, Festivals, Groups, Panels & Seminars (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Nicholl 2019 (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=84279)

figment 01-23-2019 12:24 PM

Nicholl 2019
 
Looks like they're opened for entries.

https://www.oscars.org/nicholl

Anybody in? May the wind be at your back. :mpopcorn:

ClintW3 01-23-2019 03:39 PM

Re: Nicholl 2019
 
Always in.
You can't win if you don't play, as they say.

Good luck!

catcon 02-23-2019 10:31 AM

Re: Nicholl 2019
 
Sheesh, in the old days didn't something titled "Nicholl" usually generate epic threads equivalent to the BlackList tomes of 2012-13?

Anyway, through my own querying I had 9 different scripts being read this month. After all, I write 6 scripts per year for cryin' out loud, and since I retired all I do is write/polish/pitch. But I just received passes on 4 of them in the past few days, so maybe I'll try Nicholl again. It would be my first time since 2015 or 2016.

I've got so many I'd like to send, though. I know the strategy is to drop your "best" on them, but it's inevitable how our "best" gets all wrapped up in our internal political determinations.

And not that I have the moolah to submit their max 3 scripts, but I kind of wish they had a rule to let us resubmit things that didn't count against that limit. I've made major polishes to a couple of goodies that they saw in 2014, but I'm not going to resubmit them so as to take the place of a newer script ... ie. that perfectly political script that I'm convinced will sway them in today's environment.

Arrgh! :shifty:

Friday 02-23-2019 10:46 AM

Re: Nicholl 2019
 
Probably because they only prefer certain types of scripts. Many writers have opted for the other contests where they have a much better shot with the type of scripts they write.

Iceman 03-01-2019 06:29 PM

Re: Nicholl 2019
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Friday (Post 959564)
Probably because they only prefer certain types of scripts. Many writers have opted for the other contests where they have a much better shot with the type of scripts they write.

What type of script does Nicholl prefer?

TigerFang 03-01-2019 08:54 PM

Re: Nicholl 2019
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman (Post 959641)
What type of script does Nicholl prefer?

Here’s part of what the Academy Nicholl Fellowship rules say about it the type of scripts it prefers:

“One copy of an original feature film screenplay uploaded as a PDF file. The feature screenplay should be in standard industry format (12 point Courier) and no shorter than 70 pages and no longer than 160 pages. Suggested page count is 80 to 125; scripts exceeding 125 pages may have their length counted against them. Submissions must have been written originally in English; translations will not be accepted. No multi-part scripts should be submitted unless each part can be read as a separate, stand-alone screenplay.

Submissions must be the original work of the entrant(s) and may not be based, in whole or in part, on any other fiction or nonfiction material, published or unpublished, produced or unproduced. Entries may, however, be adapted from the entrant’s (or entrants’) original work, which should be noted in the logline required on the application form. Entries lacking a logline on the application form will be disqualified.

If the script is based on a true story, historical or contemporary, the "based on true story/events" button should be selected within the online application form.

Collaborative work by two writers who share equally in its creation is eligible. Collaborative work for which one writer developed the idea and another writer wrote the screenplay is not eligible. Collaborative work by three or more writers is not eligible. The collaborator’s name must be added during the online application process. Writing partners selected as fellows will divide the fellowship stipend equally.

The entrant’s name, address, phone number or any other identifying information should not appear on the title page or any other page of the script. Placing a Library of Congress or WGA registration number on the title page is acceptable but not required.”

It sounds as though the only “type” of scripts the Academy Nicholl Fellowship wants are those that are original stories and that abide by their formatting requirements. It’s difficult to know precisely what “Friday” meant by the comment on thread post #4.

nativeson 03-01-2019 11:36 PM

Re: Nicholl 2019
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerFang (Post 959642)
Here’s part of what the Academy Nicholl Fellowship rules say about it the type of scripts it prefers:

“One copy of an original feature film screenplay uploaded as a PDF file. The feature screenplay should be in standard industry format (12 point Courier) and no shorter than 70 pages and no longer than 160 pages. Suggested page count is 80 to 125; scripts exceeding 125 pages may have their length counted against them. Submissions must have been written originally in English; translations will not be accepted. No multi-part scripts should be submitted unless each part can be read as a separate, stand-alone screenplay.

Submissions must be the original work of the entrant(s) and may not be based, in whole or in part, on any other fiction or nonfiction material, published or unpublished, produced or unproduced. Entries may, however, be adapted from the entrant’s (or entrants’) original work, which should be noted in the logline required on the application form. Entries lacking a logline on the application form will be disqualified.

If the script is based on a true story, historical or contemporary, the "based on true story/events" button should be selected within the online application form.

Collaborative work by two writers who share equally in its creation is eligible. Collaborative work for which one writer developed the idea and another writer wrote the screenplay is not eligible. Collaborative work by three or more writers is not eligible. The collaborator’s name must be added during the online application process. Writing partners selected as fellows will divide the fellowship stipend equally.

The entrant’s name, address, phone number or any other identifying information should not appear on the title page or any other page of the script. Placing a Library of Congress or WGA registration number on the title page is acceptable but not required.”

It sounds as though the only “type” of scripts the Academy Nicholl Fellowship wants are those that are original stories and that abide by their formatting requirements. It’s difficult to know precisely what “Friday” meant by the comment on thread post #4.


Bwahahahahahha!!!!!!!:bounce:

TigerFang 03-02-2019 09:16 AM

Re: Nicholl 2019
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nativeson (Post 959643)
Bwahahahahahha!!!!!!!:bounce:

:)

finalact4 03-02-2019 05:47 PM

Re: Nicholl 2019
 
this is just my opinion, but i do think Nicholl prefers a 'type' of story. And when i say this, i in no way mean that these are not quality stories worth winning or placing.

independent leanings
lower budget
smaller cast
non-specific location (ie small town vs multiple, big city)
character driven focus vs plot driven
internal struggle (journey) stronger than external (journey)
primary genres drama and comedy

here is a link to their judging criteria. https://www.oscars.org/nicholl/about

clearly, i do not have empirical knowledge. it's just what i believe after reviewing loglines.

there's no way to know what the overall submissions are, but i think anyone might reasonably assume that since it is the most prestigious amateur competition that everyone, regardless of genre, would enter.

then again, i didn't, so maybe there are others that feel as i do. don't know.

so, imo, if you write or have written a high concept, highly commercial, epic sci-fi/fantasy, or high budget plot driven script (yes, i know plot is driven by character), maybe this is not the competition for you.

and, just because you don't win or place in the Nicholl does not mean you aren't an excellent writer or your story isn't amazing. it's still very subjective.

what i think is interesting is writers submit the same script year after year. i understand if it's gone through an overhaul rewrite, maybe, but i read one person who said they sent in the same script twice and both times they were a semifinalist. i mean, if you're a semifinalist i'm pretty sure you get to keep the title forever, right? it's just a curious thing to me.

i'll bet there've been writers who placed then submitted the next year and didn't place at all, right? like, count your blessings-- i mean, it's that subjective.

or even a writer who entered one year didn't place and the next year did, right?

maybe i'd feel different if i was a semi and really wanted to get the win. but it's like, okay, you tried twice, move on and accept your place. they've already told you you were good.

maybe it's the fellowship they're after?

DaltWisney 03-02-2019 06:33 PM

Re: Nicholl 2019
 
Quote:

this is just my opinion, but i do think Nicholl prefers a 'type' of story. And when i say this, i in no way mean that these are not quality stories worth winning or placing.

All else being equal, I think you're going to do better with straightforward dramas and thrillers than you are with comedies or crazy sci-fi/fantasy stuff. I also think the committee nature of the judging process means you're going to want to skew risk-averse. A script that gets a 7/10 from 10 random readers is going to fare much better in a competition like this than a polarizing script that gets a 10/10 from 2 readers and a 4/10 from the other 8. The Nicholl is not the ideal platform for your "Tim and Eric Awesome Show", "Eric Andre Show", or "Hobo With a Shotgun" type of material. You're going to want to think more in terms of hitting all four quadrants.

As for the subjectivity, I've submitted the same script three times with minimal changes. One year it got top 10%. The next year it got top 15%. The next year it didn't even make the top 20%, though it was noted to have received at least one positive review. For the sake of comparison, this is a script that averaged slightly below a 7 overall when I put it up on the Black List and got a bunch of evaluations.

There's a crapshoot aspect to the competition, but I do think there's a general correlation between quality and results. I've really pivoted towards TV writing and pilots, but I may barf something out in April just to chuck into the Nicholl since it's such a great opportunity for exposure if you happen to run deep.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro