Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Actual $300m Bank Heist

It's not everyday a 'movie-like' major bank heist plot actually happens, but details are emerging that some Russian banks just got taken for at least $300 million.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/wo...ware.html?_r=0

the intruders in the bank thefts were enormously patient, placing surveillance software in the computers of system administrators and watching their moves for months. The evidence suggests this was not a nation state, but a specialized group of cybercriminals.
    But the question remains how a fraud of this scale could have proceeded for nearly two years without banks, regulators or law enforcement catching on. Investigators say the answers may lie in the hackers' technique.
    In many ways, this hack began like any other. The cybercriminals sent their victims infected emails - a news clip or message that appeared to come from a colleague - as bait. When the bank employees clicked on the email, they inadvertently downloaded malicious code. That allowed the hackers to crawl across a bank's network until they found employees who administered the cash transfer systems or remotely connected A.T.M.s.
    Then, Kaspersky's investigators said, the thieves installed a "RAT-- remote access tool - that could capture video and screenshots of the employees' computers.

Re: An Actual $300m Bank Heist

An actual heist of gold from an armored truck

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - Armed robbers stole $4 million in gold on Sunday from a truck traveling north along Interstate 95 from Florida to Massachusetts, authorities said Monday.

The two security guards working for Transvalue Inc. of Miami reported pulling off to the side of the interstate about 6:30 p.m. Sunday after their armored truck began having mechanical problems in Wilson County, the sheriff's office said.

They were then approached by three armed men driving a white van who ordered the guards to lie on the ground, tied their hands behind their backs and then marched them into nearby woods. The robbers then unloaded barrels filled with gold and made their getaway, according to a statement.

The office of Wilson County Sheriff Calvin Woodard, Jr., did not respond to messages seeking additional information. No detailed description of the suspects or their vehicle was released.

Shelley Lynch, spokeswoman for the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Charlotte field office, said agents are assisting the local sheriff and are working to determine whether a federal crime has been committed.

In a statement, Transvalue chief executive officer Jay Rodriguez said the gold bars were headed to Attleboro, Massachusetts, a town south of Boston nicknamed "Jewelry City" for the large number of manufacturers based there. The truck carrying the loot had left Miami about 4 a.m. Sunday.

According to its website, Transvalue specializes in transporting cash, precious metals, gems and jewelry in armored trucks. The company says its shipments are insured for up to $100 million.

Comment

Researching something, Roger?

Honestly, the second one sounds like an inside job haha.

Comment

Not researching anything in particular here...I'm just noting that these things do happen in real life and not just in the movies.

So far in this thread...some computer hackers stole half a billion dollars and some regular thieves robbed a armored truck carrying actual gold.

Comment

You remember that syrup heist up in Canada a few years back? I always thought that would make a fun movie...

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Boellner View Post
            You remember that syrup heist up in Canada a few years back? I always thought that would make a fun movie...
            I read a spec about that.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
              I read a spec about that.
              Is there one?? Haha, that's awesome. Was it any good?

Comment

There was a big diamond heist in Europe that's detailed in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Flawless-Insid.../dp/1402797559

What's amazing is how mundane it all is. It would make a pretty lousy traditional thriller.

It was just legwork, patience, and a moment of careless stupidity.

Comment

Another actual heist this week in France...

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/art...in-van-jacking

PARIS (AP) — About 15 armed assailants ambushed two vans carrying millions of euros worth of jewels on a French highway in the middle of the night Wednesday, forcing out their drivers and speeding off into the Burgundy countryside, according to police. It was the latest in a string of big jewel heists in France.
                  No possible suspects have been named in Wednesday's theft, although the case was reminiscent of heists by the Pink Panther gang of jewel thieves. The Pink Panther network has been credited with a series of thefts that Interpol says have netted more than 330 million euros since 1999.
                  Last month, eight people were convicted in connection with a spectacular 2008 jewel theft at a Harry Winston boutique in Paris, when three cross-dressing gunmen stole about $92 million in goods.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
                    Quote:
                    Last month, eight people were convicted in connection with a spectacular 2008 jewel theft at a Harry Winston boutique in Paris, when three cross-dressing gunmen stole about $92 million in goods.
                    Ah, the sexual bigotry of the French.

My "favorite" jewel heist was the big roadway heist from Marvin Davis and his wife down near Cannes, as I recall. What made it great is: The jewels were returned (again, as I recall) a few days later.

Comment

I'll post a few more of these as they come to my attention...It is just interesting to note that these things really do happen and are not just formulaic movie plots. Although the cross-dressing gunmen was a nice variation on the usual heist plot.

Comment

An ingenious London criminal orchestrated his own prison break by sending a fake email from court officials with instructions to set him free, the BBC reported.

Neil Moore, who was already facing several charges for fraud, was being held at London's Wandsworth Prison in March 2014 when he illegitimately obtained a cellphone and used it to create a fake email account from the Royal Courts of Justice- complete with real names and contact address- according to evidence presented at his recent trial.
                        http://www.hngn.com/articles/81488/2...ering-bail.htm

Comment

Gadget which turns all traffic lights green trialled in UK

Phil Blythe, Professor of Transport at Newcastle University said: "This is the first step towards driverless cars. If we can manage the traffic better and get cars talking to traffic lights and each other on the road, then that is a big step towards automation.
                          http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...led-in-UK.html

Comment

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
                            Gadget which turns all traffic lights green trialled in UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...led-in-UK.html
                            I don't get it. Gadgets that turn lights from red to green for emergency vehicles have been around for decades.

From the press' POV, if something hasn't be written about within the past year, then when a reporter discovers "this amazing gadget" they figure it must be "this amazing new gadget", and that's how the story runs.

Comment

Based on this I feel I have no real alternative but to turn you lot in. Clearly you're in it together
                              I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X