Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you? (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=66136)

beerbeastredux 02-09-2012 02:43 AM

The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you?

For me, ( a 15 year professional animator who writes movies SPECIFICALLY FOR ANIMATION ) it was "This project doesn't really seem suited for animation."

:confused:*facepalm* Ughhh. :mad:

How about the rest of y'all?

hscope 02-09-2012 04:34 AM

Re: The dumbest thing any movie exec has ever said to you?

"Pass."

NotTheBard 02-09-2012 05:07 AM

"Can't they wear crazy masks like in Point Break?"

RGF 02-09-2012 06:15 AM

After reading my charming "Field of Dreams" meets "Close Encounters" feel-good movie:

"The aliens should eat people, loud, so we can hear the bones crunching."

Aspirant 02-09-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerbeastredux (Post 786923)
For me, ( a 15 year professional animator who writes movies SPECIFICALLY FOR ANIMATION ) it was "This project doesn't really seem suited for animation."

:confused:*facepalm* Ughhh. :mad:

How about the rest of y'all?

I can see how this would be aggravating, but it doesn't seem objectively "dumb" to me. I mean, maybe I'm missing something, but I can at least imagine a situation in which a 15-year professional animator, who writes movies specifically for animation, comes up with an idea for an animated movie that, as laid out, doesn't really seem suited for animation. I'm not saying this was your situation, but without knowing what the idea was, it's kind of hard to say that the exec was clearly off-base. It sounds more like you're just saying that, due to your experience in animation, your opinion about what is suitable for animation is unassailable by an exec.

Manchester 02-09-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspirant (Post 786958)
I can see how this would be aggravating, but it doesn't seem objectively "dumb" to me. I mean, maybe I'm missing something, but I can at least imagine a situation in which a 15-year professional animator, who writes movies specifically for animation, comes up with an idea for an animated movie that, as laid out, doesn't really seem suited for animation. I'm not saying this was your situation, but without knowing what the idea was, it's kind of hard to say that the exec was clearly off-base. It sounds more like you're just saying that, due to your experience in animation, your opinion about what is suitable for animation is unassailable by an exec.

Maybe. And yet... The facially dumb part could be: If an exec knows a writer is a pro in animation, isn't it dumb to give that as the reason? Don't smart execs commit to memory a look-up table of things to say/not say when passing on a script? Unless the exec wants to alienate the writer forever.

beerbeastredux 02-09-2012 12:42 PM

i write my films SPECIFICALLY for animation. fantastic settings/scenarios, and crazy characters/situations that are best served in animation, not mention are more plausibe. There are things you can do in animation that just don't work in live action. That's what I mean.

I also mean this from a 2D point of view. I'm a classically trained 2D animator also proficient in CG. A lot of people have weird perceptions of 3D animation, as if it's really any different than 2D. They're not. Unless you're talking "performance capture" which is not animation. They just call it animation because there's a frickin talking lizard onscreen.

iknownuffin 02-09-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGF (Post 786934)

That made my day. Thanks.:)

Geoff Alexander 02-09-2012 06:36 PM

"Would your client be willing to grant us a free option extension." Not the dumbest, but definitely one of the dumbest recent things I have heard from an executive.

CthulhuRises 02-09-2012 09:58 PM

"I'm thinking we make it a sexy Top Gun...or Gilligan's Island in Space."

:|

Aspirant 02-10-2012 09:55 AM

Not an exec, but I had an agent a couple of years ago who wrote, as a note on a scene in which a bad guy is chased by the police and, after a unique and dramatic turn, ends up getting killed in a spectacular car crash, "That guy should get shot in the face."

emily blake 02-10-2012 10:14 AM

In fairness, scenes are generally more awesome when people get shot in the face.

Dr. Vergerus 02-10-2012 12:07 PM

Probably cheaper than the car crash, too.

Aspirant 02-10-2012 05:31 PM

Actually, I think he wanted every character to get shot in the face.

emily blake 02-10-2012 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aspirant (Post 787268)
Actually, I think he wanted every character to get shot in the face.

Was this movie The Departed?

Landis26 02-11-2012 09:54 AM

"Put Jimmy Smits in it and you'll have a sexy Stand and Deliver.":)

BurOak 02-11-2012 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CthulhuRises (Post 787110)
"I'm thinking we make it a sexy Top Gun...or Gilligan's Island in Space."

:|

Someone should tell him that "Gilligan's Planet" has already been done. :bounce: :rolleyes:

beerbeastredux 02-12-2012 07:27 AM

Given how many awful shows like "Gilligan's planet" actually got made over the years, I'm willing to bet you could make an awesome coffee table book chock full of truly stupid movie exec quotes. I think it'd be an entertaining ( if depressing) read.

SCanfieldfilms 02-12-2012 11:32 PM

All the same guy, I was 20, had no clue he was really this dumb.

On rewriting a script about a certain sexual fetish:
"You know, we could just scrap all the dialogue and sell it to Vivid." (He was absolutely serious)

On rewriting a new comic book-style hero script:
"I just don't see why people would care about his back story." (I believe he sent this note, against all advice, to the legendary comic creator who co-created the character)

On an A-list writer who had just brought his brother in to "help" him with the most recent draft of a script:
"We should fire him and pay his brother to talk the ideas out of him, it would be much cheaper."

I spent a week at a major studio listening to this idiot talk in a major execs office, while said exec was on vacation. Two weeks later, he was fired. Still not sure how he got the job in the first place. If they hadn't let me on the lot, with official credentials and such, I would've never believed he was there legitimately.

Kandiman 02-15-2012 09:21 AM

I was once brought in as a script doctor on something by the producer and told "we think this could be gold, it just needs the dialogue polished" - the script had no third act. Literally none. No story closure whatsoever. And it was a biopic of a guy who died, so it should've been fairly easy.

So what did I do? Polished the dialogue and cashed the cheque. I'm not an idiot.

Oh, I also pitched a teen drama TV show to a ProdCo recently only to be told that they felt the show would work better if I aged the characters up a few years. It's a teen drama. The characters need to be teenagers. That's kind of a thing with the genre.

Also, if I'd aged them up, they'd have been immature adults rather than slightly mature teens... A subtle nuance, I grant you.

scripto80 02-15-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RGF (Post 786934)
After reading my charming "Field of Dreams" meets "Close Encounters" feel-good movie:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh man, for some reason this just had me rolling.

Thank you, I needed that.

RGF 02-15-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scripto80 (Post 788134)
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh man, for some reason this just had me rolling.

Thank you, I needed that.

:smokin: You're welcome.

BurOak 02-15-2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandiman (Post 788120)
I was once brought in as a script doctor on something by the producer and told "we think this could be gold, it just needs the dialogue polished" - the script had no third act. Literally none. No story closure whatsoever. And it was a biopic of a guy who died, so it should've been fairly easy.

So what did I do? Polished the dialogue and cashed the cheque. I'm not an idiot.

Oh, I also pitched a teen drama TV show to a ProdCo recently only to be told that they felt the show would work better if I aged the characters up a few years. It's a teen drama. The characters need to be teenagers. That's kind of a thing with the genre.

Also, if I'd aged them up, they'd have been immature adults rather than slightly mature teens... A subtle nuance, I grant you.

Interesting. To look at American TV and film from about 1990 to today, one would think the maximum human lifespan rarely exceeded 30 years.

Kandiman 02-15-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurOak (Post 788256)
Interesting. To look at American TV and film from about 1990 to today, one would think the maximum human lifespan rarely exceeded 30 years.

It's true... but that's where the money is. And most of the best stories, as far as I can tell.

BurOak 02-16-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandiman (Post 788257)
It's true... but that's where the money is. And most of the best stories, as far as I can tell.

On the former, I'll reluctantly agree with you. On the latter, no way. Teens and twentysomethings are not the most fascinating creatures on the planet, despite what they think.

Kandiman 02-16-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurOak (Post 788325)
On the former, I'll reluctantly agree with you. On the latter, no way. Teens and twentysomethings are not the most fascinating creatures on the planet, despite what they think.

We'll have to agree to disagree. And bear in mind that, as a 26-year-old, I may be a little biased!

brubenow 02-16-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emily blake (Post 787169)
In fairness, scenes are generally more awesome when people get shot in the face.

so true

BurOak 02-17-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brubenow (Post 788405)
so true

Unless it's a Disney movie.

Kandiman 02-18-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurOak (Post 788538)
Unless it's a Disney movie.

I'm not so sure. Bambi was made better by the mother being shot. And it would've improved High School Musical 3 considerably...

BurOak 02-18-2012 02:00 PM

Have to agree with you on HSM. :bounce: :cool:

Logliner 02-22-2012 06:00 AM

I just saw this and it reminded me of this thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LC0J...ature=youtu.be

grumpywriter 02-22-2012 01:23 PM

"There's no such thing as a dual-protagonist story."

NotTheBard 02-23-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grumpywriter (Post 789208)
"There's no such thing as a dual-protagonist story."

I believe there's even industry lingo for this - a "two-hander", as I once heard.

jojo2000 02-23-2012 09:05 AM

Recently I had a producer tell me, "today, scripts have to be perfect to get sold..."

Really? Only perfect scripts are making there way through Hollywood today or any day for that matter? While we're on the subject.... perfect according to who?

Paul Striver 02-23-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jojo2000 (Post 789329)
Recently I had a producer tell me, "today, scripts have to be perfect to get sold..."

That's pretty funny. I've read about 10 of the 15 or so specs that have sold so far this year and none of them are anywhere close to perfect (whatever the hell "perfect" means). A couple of them are really damn good, but as a whole the specs being sold today aren't noticeably better than the specs that sold 2 or 5 or 10 years ago. Maybe that producer was talking about the fact that studios are no longer buying hundreds of mediocre scripts per year, but that doesn't mean the bar has been raised to "Perfection."

jojo2000 02-23-2012 11:10 AM

Yeah Paul, after I got off the phone and thought about it for a second, I think what he meant was specs need to be "ready to go" or "have no glaring holes" or something to that effect.

"Perfect" was a poor word choice and I bit hard to live up to...

Zed's_Dead 04-09-2012 05:24 PM

"Can we tone down the talk about P***Y?"

It was my first script, I was 19. It seemed like a dumb request at the time.

billmarq 04-22-2012 06:19 PM

Someone once told me he could write English better than I.

ScriptGal 04-30-2012 06:33 PM

Rom coms never work with a male lead.

emily blake 04-30-2012 09:51 PM

Did you ever sleep with any of your students?