Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I go to ComicCon?

A book I worked on is up for an award, and people are saying it's going to win. I would love to be there of course, I'm sure it would be a hoot even if the book doesn't win, but it would be kind of expensive, so I'm just wondering: would the networking opportunity in itself be worth the expense?

And: is just asking this question idiotic?

Re: Should I go to ComicCon?

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
    A book I worked on is up for an award, and people are saying it's going to win. I would love to be there of course, I'm sure it would be a hoot even if the book doesn't win, but it would be kind of expensive, so I'm just wondering: would the networking opportunity in itself be worth the expense?

And: is just asking this question idiotic?

What kind of book is It? Is it fantasy? If so, sure. Promote the hell out of it. Don't worry about expensives if you believe in your project.

Also, which Comic Con is It? San Diego and New York have the big ones.
    "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Madbandit View Post
      What kind of book is It? Is it fantasy? If so, sure. Promote the hell out of it. Don't worry about expensives if you believe in your project.

Also, which Comic Con is It? San Diego and New York have the big ones.

It's for a graphic novel I translated and it's the San Diego convention. Let's face it, translators don't get a whole lot of attention in this biz and if the book wins, I'd probably get shoved off the stage by the author anyway. It is by no means vital that I be there. However, it would definitely be an opportunity to meet some editors face to face. Then again, just being nominated, let alone winning, would probably open doors even if I don't meet them face to face. So I don't know.

Comment

Without knowing much at all about graphic novels or Comic-Con, on the face of it, I’d say go if you’re able to swing it. It seems that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain (meeting editors).

In old age, should you achieve it, Regret is a most unsavory flavor to digest. Hie thee unto yon Comic-Con.
        Last edited by Clint Hill; 04-30-2019, 05:11 PM.
        “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFang View Post
          Without knowing much at all about graphic novels or Comic-Con, on the face of it, I'd say go if you're able to swing it. It seems that you have nothing to lose and everything to gain (meeting editors).

In old age, should you achieve it, Regret is a most unsavory flavor to digest. Hie thee unto yon Comic-Con.

In old age, I might regret not using that money for a month or two on some digital nomad work-vaycay... So there's that.

Comment

I think you should go.
            I get the idea it's a crazy, crowded mob.
            But if you have a reason to be there and a specific connection, it's YOUR crazy crowded mob and you should be there at least that one time.

Comment

Comic-con was amazing to attend at least once, just to watch the sheer fan geekery that exists and surround myself with like-minded individuals. I haven't gone in over 10 years, so these observations may not be entirely valid at this point.

As a networking event, its popularity had resulted in a huge decline of the "good old days" networking opportunities that I went to take advantage of. I think it suffered from success; the celebs that writers wanted to meet (showrunners, producers, senior writers) got swamped by writers and fans wanting to meet them, and in self-preservation they tended to not stick around after talks to network. I found it an enjoyable con, but not a good networking opportunity.

In general, I think that if you're on the introvert scale, you may find it difficult to navigate it for networking. If you're a socially-adept extrovert, you can probably find your way to the after-parties and bars where you'll get a chance to connect with the people you want to connect with.

You do have an advantage, though -- you're more on the "inside" than 90% of the attendees. What happens on stage doesn't matter as much as what you can do behind the stage. If your editor is hanging with another editor and can make introductions, then you're networking.

Comment

Still thinking about it... probably not, though. But thanks for weighing in, people!

Comment

Working...
                X