This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fury

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this movie. Great look, generally good, understated performances, really put you in the world.

HOWEVER SPOILERS.............

I didn't buy the bit with the girl in the apartment, I thought it was wildly off tone, and not very believable.

And even more than that I was just shaking my head at the ending. How long have these guys been fighting American tanks? And they don't think to throw a grenade under the thing??!!! Seriously????!! And then when the guy spots the American soldier and spares him??!!! Are you ****ing kidding me??? At the end of the war with these guys being fanatical SS holdout no hopers, and by the way this tank crew just killed like fifty of this dude's comrades in arms, and he shines a light at him and just spares him??? Spares him also despite the fact that the tank crew was clearly there to kill as many Germans as possible and give their lives in the process and yet somehow this American isn't a threat?

This was seriously one of the dumbest most bullshit things they could have done to end this movie. Classic Ayers, so good, so good, and then some totally ****ing ridiculous and incomprehensible thing pops up in the movie in a major way.

Jesus Christ how annoying that was.

Re: Fury

I interpreted the ending of the film to be the completion of the character arc for the character portrayed by Logan Lerman. He starts out completely innocent and naive, gets hardened by mistakes and warfare, and ultimately becomes what he needed to be to survive: hardened and a killer.

In the end, he's saved by that naive innocence that he'd lost. The soldier that spared him (in my opinion) was the German equivalent of Lerman's character at the start of the film.

Also heartbreaking that he's labeled a hero, when he's only been in the war for a scant few days. The only survivor, yet all his tankmates had been together for years and were truly the heroes.

Comment

I thought the final battle was crap! The Germans just kept pouring at the damaged Sherman like grey-clad Lemmings?
      Yeah right cos that's how German conquered the bulk of Europe! Stupidity, blind obedience and a ruthless efficiency... wait no, that's the Spanish Inquisition!!!!
      I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, pretty much agree with above. I liked it overall, but the ending was way over the top and the scene in the apartment went on a little long. I didn't understand why Pitt didn't take control there either.

Definitely a good solid film, could have been more with a better finale.

Comment

Hollywood won't make any WWII movie that doesn't defame the Germans as evil, incompetent, or psychotic. That's why the vast majority of Hollywood's WWII movies are fictional; if they portrayed the war accurately audiences would have respect for the Germans. Don't expect to see any films made about Erich Hartmann any time soon.

Comment

Not every day someone restarts an old thread to defend nazis.

You're the guy who couldn't stop posting in the racial casting threads, right?

Wow no one saw this coming.

Comment

Originally posted by entlassen View Post
              Hollywood won't make any WWII movie that doesn't defame the Germans as evil, incompetent, or psychotic. That's why the vast majority of Hollywood's WWII movies are fictional; if they portrayed the war accurately audiences would have respect for the Germans. Don't expect to see any films made about Erich Hartmann any time soon.
              They did nominate one 'accurate' WWII film:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426578/?ref_=nv_sr_1

And it has quite a respectable rating on IMDB as well.

Comment

I know probably won't see any about Oskar Schindler.

It also means that since they don't seem to exist and I imagined them then I'm free to make an adaptation of Das Boot as well as Night of the Generals, the Mackenzie Break, Cross of Iron, Valkryie...

But don't let any of that get in the way of your trolling.

Comment

Das Boot, Cross of Iron, Stalingrad, etc. are fictional and filled with self-loathing and pathological characters. These films adhere fully to the allied perspective that Germany was evil, as the "good" soldiers in these films are typically ones who hate their own country, shoot their own officers, commit suicide, etc. (CoI and Stalingrad especially).

As for Valkyrie, aside from being awful, it wasn't all that accurate.

To date no films have been made about the many fighter aces, tank aces, commanders, snipers, etc. of the German army, soldiers that even American and British historians admire. The media doesn't make films about them because they surely don't want the public admiring them. It's much safer to just make the same fictional movie over and over again involving a small band of smart alecky Americans going on a super-dangerous mission and eventually gunning down a million cross-eyed Germans (in April of 1945 no less, lol).

Comment

Das Boot, Cross of Iron, Stalingrad, etc. are fictional and filled with self-loathing and pathological characters. These films adhere fully to the allied perspective that Germany was evil, as the "good" soldiers in these films are typically ones who hate their own country, shoot their own officers, commit suicide, etc. (CoI and Stalingrad especially).

As for Valkyrie, aside from being awful, it wasn't all that accurate.

To date no films have been made about the many fighter aces, tank aces, commanders, snipers, etc. of the German army, soldiers that even American and British historians admire. The media doesn't make films about them because they surely don't want the public admiring them. It's much safer to just make the same fictional movie over and over again involving a small band of smart alecky Americans going on a super-dangerous mission and eventually gunning down a million cross-eyed Germans (in April of 1945 no less, lol).
                    Yes, maybe because, no matter how skilled, self sacrificing, or heroic a soldier is, it is hard to make a hero of them when they are the bloody hand and instrument of one of the most vile, reprehensible, and wicked governments in human history.

Comment

Heroism has little to do with abstract moral concepts. Achilles is considered to be the ultimate heroic archetype: wrathful, powerful, arrogant, etc. From the perspective of his Trojan adversaries they may have thought him "evil" because he was an adversary, a soldier of an invading army, a warrior fighting for a megalomaniac, etc. However, Achilles' heroism is not in question, even if some think his morality is.

I mentioned Erich Hartmann earlier. For those who don't know, he was the greatest flying ace in history, downing over 300 enemy pilots while never being shot down himself. His heroism too is not in question. We can argue whether he was a "moral" person, but that argument would be ongoing. His skills, bravery, etc. are what made him heroic.

Comment

Heroism has little to do with abstract moral concepts. Achilles is considered to be the ultimate heroic archetype: wrathful, powerful, arrogant, etc. From the perspective of his Trojan adversaries they may have thought him "evil" because he was an adversary, a soldier of an invading army, a warrior fighting for a megalomaniac, etc. However, Achilles' heroism is not in question, even if some think his morality is.

I mentioned Erich Hartmann earlier. For those who don't know, he was the greatest flying ace in history, downing over 300 enemy pilots while never being shot down himself. His heroism too is not in question. We can argue whether he was a "moral" person, but that argument would be ongoing. His skills, bravery, etc. are what made him heroic.
                        I totally disagree. Acts of self sacrifice in the service of something which is destructive to the innocent must be considered within the context of a moral universe. Otherwise self sacrifice itself becomes meaningless. You are confusing heroism and bravery and they are not the same thing.

Comment

Entlassen, are there any WWII movies that you think are accurate?

Comment

To date no films have been made about the many fighter aces, tank aces, commanders, snipers, etc. of the German army, soldiers that even American and British historians admire. The media doesn't make films about them because they surely don't want the public admiring them.
                            Please list the completely played-straight movies this side of about 1952 that were pure profile pieces without any deeper examination of the protagonists than he-did-this, he-did-that, wasn't-it-amazing. Show me just one.

In Bridge On The River Kwai, made at a time when Japanese POW camps were still very fresh in recent memory, the prison commandant was given a very rounded depiction. And Alec Guinness's character was hardly without flaws.

You have what seems like a pretty weird fetish with all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
                              I totally disagree. Acts of self sacrifice in the service of something which is destructive to the innocent must be considered within the context of a moral universe.
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing...n_World_War_II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NKVD_prisoner_massacres

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_...a_and_Nagasaki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_du...ion_of_Germany

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_du...tion_of_Poland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_du...tion_of_France

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_du...ation_of_Japan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombing...tle_of_Hamburg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Wilhelm_Gustloff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_...s#World_War_II

Otherwise self sacrifice itself becomes meaningless. You are confusing heroism and bravery and they are not the same thing.
                              Why would German soldiers consider their sacrifice meaningless? Heroism and bravery are not synonymous, but you can't have heroism without bravery.

Comment

Working...
                              X