Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Films (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Juno - Playing Everywhere Christmas Day (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=36166)

LisaJohnTre 12-23-2007 10:29 AM

Juno - Playing Everywhere Christmas Day

What was the deal with Juno? It was only in select theatres, like the little indie joint down the block from me. Now it's playing everywhere. So, is this another indie success film?

With the big guys passing on all the good stories to bring back old tv shows, cartoons, comic book characters and video games to the screen, should we unknowns focus on producing our own films? It seems like when they start making money is when they start to show interest in good films. :rolleyes:

Goon Squad 12-23-2007 11:39 AM

Re: Juno - Playing Everywhere Christmas Day

Juno is from Fox Searchlight - in other words a 'studio' film. :)

DramaKing 12-23-2007 12:40 PM

What Goon Squad said.

Don't revise history to suit your distorted view of reality.

Juno was not a self financed and self made film.

It was a script that was sold to a major studio, produced by a major studio, promoted by a major studio and distributed by a major studio.

Obviously studios buy all kinds of stories.

Instead of making excuses for why your script didn't sell, try making reasons for someone to buy it.

Franky Knuckles 12-23-2007 01:22 PM

ouch. i see why they call him dramaking, lol.

@LisaJohnTre

good stories is a very subjective topic as are good movies/scripts

i can't comment on Juno since i didn't see it for myself. the concept didn't really grab me but it wouldn't be fair to say its not a good movie without seeing it.

there have been a good amount of movies i thought would suck and then ended up being one of my favorites.

LisaJohnTre 12-23-2007 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DramaKing (Post 411672)
What Goon Squad said.

Don't revise history to suit your distorted view of reality.

Juno was not a self financed and self made film.

It was a script that was sold to a major studio, produced by a major studio, promoted by a major studio and distributed by a major studio.

Obviously studios buy all kinds of stories.

Instead of making excuses for why your script didn't sell, try making reasons for someone to buy it.

Drama King certainly fits you perfectly as a screen name.

First off, I only have ONE script and I haven't even marketed it yet. Secondly, I only thought Juno was independent since it was in selected markets, and a theatre that NEVER has major productions shown there. So I stand corrected on that. Sorry.

The biggest hangup I have had about becoming a writer is that some of them have such nasty attitudes like Drama King. I'm actually a very nice person. Maybe I should be an executive producer instead. :rolling:

LIMAMA 12-23-2007 04:30 PM

In tenth place with 3.4 mil?

thatcomedian 12-23-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIMAMA (Post 411695)

Limited Release.

Christmas it will go wider.

Geoff Alexander 12-23-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIMAMA (Post 411695)

It's only in about 300 theatres. It averaged around 3750 per theatre, low mediocre performance, but it's building so much hype with the critics and media, it could really pick up steam.

Laura Reyna 12-23-2007 11:07 PM

You can track films individually or compare them on charts here:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

JUNO doesn't look too expensive so it should do OK.

Just saw the trailer minutes ago for the 1st time. I don't know... the actors' deliveries sounded off to me & it didn't come off as too funny. Kinda flat actually. I think they could have done a better job with the trailer, but I haven't seen the movie, just read the script...

thatcomedian 12-23-2007 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBScript (Post 411720)
It's only in about 300 theatres. It averaged around 3750 per theatre, low mediocre performance, but it's building so much hype with the critics and media, it could really pick up steam.

Where did you see 3750? According to the link Stvnla provided its average is over 11, 000.