Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Screenwriting (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Fatal Flaw? (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=54124)

Deion22 12-02-2011 03:05 PM

Re: Fatal Flaw?

Upping for discussion. Who here thinks Frodo is the MC, and Gandalf the protag? And can that situation work successfully in a screenplay?

wcmartell 12-02-2011 03:16 PM

What? The definition of protagonist is main character. I am confused.

And where did this thread come from - 27 pages?

- Bill

Deion22 12-02-2011 03:24 PM

It's an old thread. People argued that the Protag and the MC can be split in a movie. They used Shawshank Redemption and other movies for examples. I'm curious if other people believe the same. I always thought the MC and Protag were the same until I read this thread. It had me wondering if it's true they can be split or not.

Why One 12-02-2011 04:46 PM

The protagonist in the person standing in the middle of the movie poster.

BattleDolphinZero 12-02-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deion22 (Post 776500)
It's an old thread. People argued that the Protag and the MC can be split in a movie. They used Shawshank Redemption and other movies for examples. I'm curious if other people believe the same. I always thought the MC and Protag were the same until I read this thread. It had me wondering if it's true they can be split or not.

I believe Pirates uses this model.

The writer said that the chick is the hero/protag and Depp is the Main Character.

Deion22 12-02-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BattleDolphinZero (Post 776529)
I believe Pirates uses this model.

The writer said that the chick is the hero/protag and Depp is the Main Character.

You bring up a great point about Pirates. That makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

TwoBrad Bradley 12-02-2011 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoBrad Bradley (Post 631722)
And what about Pirates of the Caribbean? Elizabeth is the protagonist while the story is Mainly focused on a different Character.

Hello?

BattleDolphinZero 12-02-2011 10:48 PM

you said that years ago, I gave it a fresh voice

TwoBrad Bradley 12-03-2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BattleDolphinZero (Post 776543)
you said that years ago, I gave it a fresh voice

Now that I think about it, your version is truer to the book.

A little cameo would have been nice.

wcmartell 12-03-2011 11:59 AM

At the script stage on PIRATES the chick was the protagonist and all three of the men were equals. After casting, that changed.

Casting can change the intent of a story. I have a Script Tip on the movie BASIC - the script had a female lead with a male secondary character who helps her. They cast Travolta as the secondary character and Connie Neilson as the lead... and that turned Travolta into the lead... except his character can not be the lead if the story is going to work. She didn't even make the poster! It ruined the film. Now, you can look at that film and "decide" that Travolta was the lead and she was the protagonist - but that's not how it was at the script stage.

- Bill