Done Deal Pro Forums

Done Deal Pro Forums (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/index.php)
-   Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Spec Scout (http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/showthread.php?t=70225)

LIMAMA 08-05-2013 07:17 AM

Re: Spec Scout

Quote:

Originally Posted by markerstone (Post 877181)
PJ - you have gone W I D E - welcome to the big league!!!

Guess I better put my big girl pants on, eh? And a flak jacket.

wsaunders 07-31-2015 07:07 PM

Was looking up things on SpecScout and found this thread, wanted to see if anyone had any more success from it. Where it stands now? I read that the score cutoff used ot be 60, now it's 75? Wondering if the formula's been changed or if just reducing the amount of people who make it in.

Pasquali56 08-01-2015 06:11 AM

I think the Spec Scout model is flawed for screenwriters in that there's no flexibility in terms of their pricing. Maybe I'm wrong, but I only see one option -- to have three reviews for $197. Granted, there's no monthly fee involved like Blacklist's $25 hosting fee, but $197 is still a lot to spend in one chunk to a lot of writers. I'm sure Spec Scout will say that their reviews are more in-depth than Black List's and that $197 is still a bargain for three reviews, but I still think they should offer more flexibility regarding the number of reviews you can get. Also, I understand that their system requires multiple reviews because it's based on an average. Still, I think a more flexible system with pricing closer to Black List's would serve them (and writers) better.

wsaunders 08-21-2015 05:29 PM

I just wanted to follow up because I ordered their coverage and just received it and I was floored by how thorough and thoughtful it was.

$197 is a little pricey up front, but for 3 sets of coverage its way worth it. Far and away better than BL evaluations. And for not much more cost wise. Though I can't speak to the value of exposure on BL vs SpecScout.

I received 13+ pages of notes. With some solid insight to things that don't work.

I did not receive a score of 75 which is a bummer, but it was darn close, but I did receive 3 considers and the scores seem to be fairly inline with other coverage people I've used Screenplay Mechanic, ScriptGal, and Wheelhouse writer.

Jai Brandon 10-24-2015 09:54 AM

Where are you guys getting a $197 price? All I see is $297!

wsaunders 10-27-2015 07:05 PM

It seems they raised it.

CColoredClown 10-28-2015 12:06 PM

Are people using Spec Scout as a way to get industry eyes on your script or are people using it to get three sets of feedback for one price?

wsaunders 10-28-2015 08:49 PM

I was doing it for both, I received some really great feedback, and what I liked about it was that having three sets of eyes on it really showed larger problems, for instance if one person doesn't like something about my script i could chalk it up to opinion perhaps, but if three different people point out the same issue, say a character weakness or have the same question about a logic flaw then I know there's something really wrong there and not just a case of subjective opinion or maybe a reader skimmed something, etc.

CColoredClown 10-29-2015 10:41 PM

Thanks and good luck!

Haneke 11-20-2015 02:14 PM

I have had my script listed on Spec Scout for about a year now - got a rating higher than 75. Zero industry response.

I will say this - their coverage was fantastic. 3 separate reviews. Extremely detailed. Worth every penny - even if only to correct formatting/spelling errors for a final polish. You're essentially getting 3 separate points of view instead of 1

Their coverage is a thousand times better than the Black list. There's real effort from the readers - 3 pages of notes each. Instead of a single general paragraph of why your script doesn't work.