This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backlash against the pros

I don't understand the pushback some of the pros are getting on other threads on this site.

Isn't everyone here because they want to be a working writer? Doesn't it make sense that when those very people you strive to be-- who have been through the same things you have and will go through-- say something, you just listen? Maybe ask a question or two for clarity, and then if you disagree, or it doesn't click with you, ignore the advice and do whatever you want? But to argue with them? Especially about something they have infinity more experience with?

Plenty of people (I'm sure a couple on this board) have payed money to listen to whatever idiot wrote whatever book or go to a pitchfest or boot camp or any other number of things, but living, breathing screenwriters are offering you free advice and you're pushing them away?

I'm not suggesting you take everything the pros say as gospel... but come on.

Re: Backlash against the pros

Jealousy is insidious. People can't stand to listen to other people tell them what to do.
    "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
    AYN RAND

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Karate View Post
      I don't understand the pushback some of the pros are getting on other threads on this site.

Isn't everyone here because they want to be a working writer? Doesn't it make sense that when those very people you strive to be-- who have been through the same things you have and will go through-- say something, you just listen? Maybe ask a question or two for clarity, and then if you disagree, or it doesn't click with you, ignore the advice and do whatever you want? But to argue with them? Especially about something they have infinity more experience with?

Plenty of people (I'm sure a couple on this board) have payed money to listen to whatever idiot wrote whatever book or go to a pitchfest or boot camp or any other number of things, but living, breathing screenwriters are offering you free advice and you're pushing them away?

I hope they aren't taking anything personally.

A lot of conflicting information gets posted here. I've been asking a lot of questions today because I feel this is a rare and invaluable opportunity to get information from people who know what they're talking about.

But a lot of it is so different from what we've been told about a lot of different subjects.

Jeff Shurtleff posts as if he is a pro (I have no idea if that's the case). He posts that dialogue doesn't matter. How can that be left on the board to be taken at face value?

Derek and BDZ post indicating that 99% of scripts they've been given suck. EvilRbt (the screenplay mechanic) posted that he gave 20% of scripts some kind of consider last year.

I'm not saying one person is telling the truth and one person is lying. I'm just trying to figure out all this conflicting information.

I hope they don't feel like they are being pushed away and if they do then I apologize if I contributed to that.

Comment

Holy cow, phil rizzuto is rolling over in his grave. Mariot, embrace the grey area and jeff shurtleff is not a pro. Even amongst pros there are degrees on how far someone will go outside the box. But for the most part, most scripts stink and most people don't know how to write.

For instance, a good writer can do anything they want because they're good. A bad writer writes badly. A good writer writes good. Bad writer, bad. Good writer, good. Bad writer can't possible figure out how to make something work in a script and will never be able to figure out the problem.

A good writer can troubleshoot those problems. A good writer does things inside a script that a bad writer wouldn't even know how to do. A good cook knows how to cook ziti. A bad cook probably knows how to cook ziti.

But does that mean a bad cook can cook a seven-course meal? Off course not because cooking has degrees and levels. So does writing. Anyone can make ziti, but not everyone can write.
        "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
        AYN RAND

Comment

I once had a discussion with someone who tried to tell me that here was no vodka in vodka sauce. Lol. That type of conversation happens a lot on donedeal.
          AYN RAND

Comment

I'd say there's a lot of people here who also don't understand it. But what are we to say?

It's like seeing a crazy person on a bus -- You just sit there quietly, not looking them in the eye, and hope they get off soon.
            Looking to take the "Bono" off my screenname.

Comment

I can assure you I don't take anything personally, even if someone means it personally. I also can't speak to anyone else's level of experience, except the guys I know. I just make my case and stand behind my opinions. I've been on messageboards a long time (not this one), and my skin is thick.

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post
                Derek and BDZ post indicating that 99% of scripts they've been given suck. EvilRbt (the screenplay mechanic) posted that he gave 20% of scripts some kind of consider last year.

I'm not saying one person is telling the truth and one person is lying. I'm just trying to figure out all this conflicting information.
                I just want to clarify, mariot, I gave out less than 10 'full considers' last year. And when I said that was out of 200 screenplays, it's probably closer to 300. (But don't make me do the math...)
                NOTES / COVERAGE
                15,000+ Screenplays
                [email protected]

Comment

There are so many screenwriting gurus who tell you you will succeed if you do this, sell if you do that, get writing gigs if you do the other. When confronted with people who have 'made it' without doing those things and, in many cases, doing the opposite, it's only natural that people will get defensive.

I would think any professional writer must have experienced enough hostilty during their journey to find any negativity on this board akin to a spat in a kindergarten sandpit.
                  TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

Todd - When you threaten someone's place at the "perceived table", you threaten the bread and their status. I personally applaud it.
                    He who laughs last is mentally slow

Comment

We also have to bear in mind that there are people here - like everywhere - who are instinctively argumentative. They just argue because they can. It's annoying and unhelpful, but the price you pay in a free world.

Having said that, if we took a poll here of all working screenwriters, I'd bet that each achieved success in very different ways, taking very different paths. It's fantastic to hear each successful writer's pathway. It's also important to note that this doesn't mean that success is guaranteed if the same path is chosen.

And having said all of that... it's good to know that there are some useful guidelines to work towards, that increase your chances of success, even if they don't guarantee anything.

And, and... I'm not really sure what I just said.
                      sigpic

Website
                      Tweets
                      Book

Comment

It's fantastic to hear each successful writer's pathway.
                        It's also kind of cool to see how many different ways they can be shite on for trying to help others.

Comment

Maybe it would be interesting to set up a new locked thread called pro-riffs or something and just let these guys toss their stuff out there without having to fight for points they've made through their accomplishments.

Comment

Welcome to DD, dude.

"Artificial Intelligence will never match the efficiency of Natural Stupidity"

Comment

You're preaching to the choir.

INT. PINEAPPLE - DAY

Comment

Working...
                              X