Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV staffing season

Hey all. I need some info on the basic process of Television staffing season. All I know is it's supposed to run between May and June.

But, how does it work? Are there specific start and end dates? How quickly do shows staff--I mean, will most of the positions be filled in the first week of May? Is there any way to find out which shows are staffing?

I'd appreciate any info anybody has. Thanks.

Ele...

High level staffing is going on now. The real frenzy begins when the networks announce their schedules. That's usually mid to late May.

Comment

Sunject:

The most important thing to know is that you really, really need a connected agent or manager (preferably agent). There are so many out of work mid-level writers right now juking for the same jobs, it's really tough for an unrepresented/uncredited writer to get in the door. REALLY tough. Not to rain on any parades...

You asked about the process, I would say the first move is to get representation if you don't have it already. And if you do, your agent will answer all these questions for you and position you properly when the time is right.

Comment

I realize that a connected agent is helpful, but that's a route that I won't be able to pursue in the next couple weeks. I was hoping somone could shed some light on the process--for those who won't be working through an agent.

I have a close friend who is very important in TV who I believe is willing to make some calls for me. However, he will be out of town until staffing season starts and I can't get any info from him. But I should get my spec read.

That's why I was wondering what I can expect. What is the process? And is there anything else I can do to prepare?

Comment

it's really hard without an agent. If you have any personal contacts who can get you read by a showrunner, that's your only route in. Obviously you want to have a really good spec, preferably two. If you're not sure if the spec is ready, hold off on pursuing the contacts.

Comment

Steve,

I know of at least one show that I can get to the showrunner. In fact, I met him myself. But I know my contact has connections everywhere. Anything's possible.

And I have complete confidence in the spec. It's top notch.

Do you think it would be easier for a new writer to get a staff job on a new series than an old one?

Comment

one isn't easier than the other. It just depends on which shows have openings at staff writer level.

Comment

ele

Elephant,

I admire your tenacity. Please do keep us posted how it goes.

Comment

staffing season

It's a numbers game - get it to as many people as soon as possible and keep getting it out. But other people are right -- start pursuing agents, and don't stop until you have one. I've had to staff shows -- the avalanche of scripts coming in right now is unbelievable. The odds of an unrepresented writer getting any kind of serious read right now are next to nothing, no matter how important your friend is...

Here's the attitude you're going to run into (fair or not): "How good could this script be if the guy can't even get an agent?" If the script is great enough to get you a job, it's more than great enough to get you an agent. That should be your equal, if not your greater, focus.

Jeff

Comment

Re: staffing season

I appreciate everybody's input. All helpful.

I understand how useful an agent is in this process, but won't the trials of finding an agent take a while? Wouldn't staffing season most likely be over before I get an agent?

My plan is to have my contact get me as many reads as possible and if nothing happens from it--then pursue agents. I just figured that I don't have the opportunity to get an agent before the season ends. I actually suggested this to my conact and he is confident I don't need an agent yet. Some of you may be thinking this guy is nuts, but I assure you he's legit.

Jeff--

You said you have experience in staffing. Do I have to wait until the fall season is anounced to get my material out? Once I get the material out, how fast can I expect a response?

Comment

hit the agents in mid June after staffing is over. They're very reluctant to take on new clients now because they're trying to get their existing clients jobs. If you get an agent in June/July you'll be in the running for mid-season staffing.

Comment

"You said you have experience in staffing. Do I have to wait until the fall season is anounced to get my material out? Once I get the material out, how fast can I expect a response? "

Existing shows that know they're returning are already staffing; they're probably full. Remember, they don't have many slots, and by staffing early, they get their pick of people. Existing shows that don't know if they're coming back are probably at least thinking about staffing, and again, they don't have a lot of slots. New shows are already reading, but can't make offers until they get a pickup. No one waits until they're on the schedule to start thinking about staffing. If you have contacts that will read you, follow up on them immediately. It's been going for awhile.

But don't despair if you don't get a job in the next month or so. Often shows will hire staffwriters while the season is going -- they can give out freelance scripts to test the writer, then hire them if it works out well. That's how I got my first job. (I think it was August.)

Again, don't wait for anything. Why wait to approach agents? Is your time so full that you can't send out query letters? Try everything you can all the time.

Also, think about using your contacts to get a job working on a show as a writer's assistant or production assistant. This is the most common break-in path for TV writers. They see you, they know you, they feel sorry for you and give you a script. If you knock it out of the park, maybe they'll give you a job. I'd say a great portion of freelance scripts go out to writer's assitants... half? seventy five percent?

As to how fast you can expect a response -- no way to answer. Could be a week, could be a month, more likely it'll be never. There are so many scripts floating around right now -- scripts that are passed on usually end up in the trash. There's just no time to contact people you've passed on.

Someone earlier mentioned other specs -- if you only have one, you should have more. While you're contacting agents and sending out scripts, start working on specs. I wouldn't hire a writer based on one script, and I think I'm in the majority.

Jeff

Comment

just out of curiosity, how does one get a job as a writer's assistant? Does one cold-fax your resume to a production office?
                          (I mainly write features but I was just curious... & this would be for those of us who don't know someone in TV.)

Comment

Great thread, guys. Steve and Jeff, thanks for your responses, thus far.

This is my first time working with an agent during staffing season and I'm not quite sure how to work with him. I know that this is an extremely busy time of year, but I can't seem to get him on the phone these days.

When we began the relationship (hip-pocket) we were absolutely on the same wavelength and we discussed a strategy for this season. The plan seemed ideal because his firm actually represents the showrunner of one of the shows we're looking to submit my spec to.

How did you work or use your agent(s) to your best advantage during staffing season? I'm not sure if I should be doing more. Generally, do agents let you know the particulars (where, when, to whom) your spec is submitted? If I'm not hearing from him, does that mean he's not submitting?

I know you can't speak specifically, but any insight you can offer would be of help.

Thanks.

Comment

I'd say it's not the greatest sign in the world that he's not returning your calls. They know this is when we panic -- he should be checking in with you once or twice a week, letting you know who's reading it, and if they're getting any response.

But this is not time to pick a fight. Keep putting in the calls to him after letting a few days pass in between, and when you get him on the phone, just say you're checking in -- is there anything you can do, what is he hearing, is he getting any reaction to your scripts...

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X